Brass Tumbler

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Mark McMahon, Feb 18, 2019.

1. damoncali

damoncali Bullet Maker Silver $$ Contributor

Rice is no good. It’s not abrasive enough and gets dusty. Stick to the normal stuff.

2. sbhooper

sbhooper Silver $$ Contributor

I have used the corn/walnut for many years. I don't see how they could get much brighter. The media can be cleaned and reused easily, by washing in a bucket of soapy water, and then rinsing through a fine strainer.

3. powderbrake

powderbrake Gold $$ Contributor

I like corn cob media, it seems to polish the brass better than walnut. I use a polish with it, Dillon AMMONIA FREE polish. DO NOT use ammonia to clean brass it will cause cracking.

I bought a 50 pound bag of corn cob years ago, from a sand blast supply company, so I have a lifetime supply, and I change it out frequently.

Someone asked where to get it, I googled and found this:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/ALC-50-lbs-Corn-Cob-Blasting-Abrasive-4012510/206941121

$39 for 50 pounds is very reasonable.

4. ebb

ebb

Why does everyone worry about cleaning primer pockets? Is there a down side to a dirty primer pocket? I read over at Benchrest Central that most of them don't bother with the pockets. One poster said that he tried clean and dark pockets side by side and could measure no difference in group size. Over a dozen others agreed with him so I have not bothered since. Am I messing up?

5. Ccrider

Ccrider Gold $$ Contributor

6. F Class John

F Class John NRA Life Member Gold $$ Contributor

I used rice for a while. Really liked it. No dust and cleaned great. When the rice turned dark gray I knew it need replacing. It was like those toothbrushes that tell you when to switch. Then again my brass wasn’t all that dirty so I didn’t need anything super aggressive.

I just got a big bag at Costco.

I should clarify I only do SS tumbling now.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  7. lawrence97

lawrence97

I did the corn cob and walnut for a bit, switched to rice and now I’m back to stainless media tumbling. I tumble 100 pieces of 284 brass at a time for about 15 mins and then dry the cases in a dehydrator and reload. This method leaves some carbon in the neck and the very slight peening on the neck does not affect seating nor groups at 1000 yards.