Brass by Nosler....can someone identify if from Norma or someone else

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by done111, Feb 7, 2018.

1. done111

done111

I have been reading up on what kind of brass I need to get when I buy finally my CZ527 Varmint in 204 Ruger. It looks like Hornady 32 grain is a very popular factory load, but I am also reading that the Hornady brass might not be the best for reloading. So I'm also hearing that Norma is the best brass and also that Nosler gets most of its brass from Norma and sorts/preps it so it sounds like if you can buy Nosler brass, your ahead of the game. So then I see that you can buy factory loaded Nosler ammo and that seems like a good option, shoot it and fireform at same time with some fun doing it. Would also be able to check how much it likes a particular bullet its loaded with without buying 100 bullets. Then I would have some good brass to work with.

The catch seems to be that Nosler may use other brands besides Norma. So the question is, is there a way to KNOW that you got the better Norma brass when you buy factory Nosler ammo? I also hear Winchester is very close to the same quality if I don't mind deburring the flash hole and maybe neck size before first firing.

Any help and words of wisdom keeping me on the right brass track is greatly appreciated.

Don

2. johnfred1965

johnfred1965 Silver $$ Contributor

I loaded and shot Winchester brass right out of the bag in my 204, and it groups 1/2 MOA. No need to buy that rich stuff! With the loads I worked up, the trajectories of the 32 and 39gr blitzkings are within an inch at 450 yards. The 39 just carries a little more energy for the bigger prairie dogs.

3. JSH

JSH

Don, I also stepped into the 204. I have read a bunch from various sources. I have had a hard time narrowing down more on powder than I have brass. I loaded up quite a few different ladders with various bullets and powders this winter.

If your in no hurry, loaded ammo can be found for not much more than what you could put some together. Would at least give you an idea of what bullet the rifle may favor.
    Midway seemed to be the cheapest on Norma brass. Prep can be tedious, but only has to be done once. I have a fair bit of once fired Hornady, I annealed it. 204 brass seems hit and miss to availability. Fiocchi ammo is pretty cheap, brass is said to be poor, yet I have seen more good reviews on it than not.
    Jeff

4. Rick in Oregon

Rick in Oregon

At this time, Nosler produces ALL their own brass in a new plant they just opened here last year. There are no more imports from Norma, it's ALL their own brass now, made in-house.

JRS likes this.
  5. JRS

JRS Silver $$ Contributor

The box of NOSLER 204 brass I have (10056) is marked made in the USA.

6. Rick in Oregon

Rick in Oregon

Yup, Orygun is in the USA. :)

7. done111

done111

So I wonder how good the actual Nosler made brass is? I'm probably better of just going with Winchester for now (assuming I can find it in stock at the locations that also have a good price).

8. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens

Id get the beautiful lapua 222 brass if i had to add to my collection of prepped 204 brass

9. Rick in Oregon

Rick in Oregon

The goal was to open their own brass manufacturing facility, with QC as good or better than what previously came from Norma. With their name on it, it had better be good. Guess we'll see, right?

10. JRS

JRS Silver $$ Contributor

Didn't NOSLER purchase Silver State Armory?

Twicepop likes this.
  11. Rick in Oregon

Rick in Oregon

Correct, two years ago. The entire operation was moved from WA here to Orygun and is now up and running full time.

12. johnfred1965

johnfred1965 Silver $$ Contributor

For what they charge for it, it had better be good!:D