Brass bushing issue.

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by rhovee, Jan 13, 2018.

1. rhovee

rhovee

So i have a 6.5WSM and am necking down 270wsm brass with a Redding FL die using a .294 bushing. I have done this for months. I purchased 150 pieces of brass all same lot. The only thing i have changed in the last few months was getting rid of the expander ball. Tonight i did my normal routine and decided to check the OD on the sized brass. It was .290. How can brass neck down smaller than the bushing? I questioned somehow there was thicker brass in this box that others. But my thinking would be that even if it was thicker, the OD would still remain the same. If i put the expander ball back on it irons out. I inspected and cleaned the bushing. It's the Nitrided bushing so it didn't have any junk on it. I do dip the necks in powder graphite to ease the process.....

2. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

Did you use a Mic to measure? A caliper can easily be off .001 or .002. The bushing could be off .001. Matt

WyleWD likes this.
  3. Joe R

Joe R Gold $$ Contributor

I agree with Matt, check your calipers with a pin gage or with a few bullets. There is no way you can have that much spring back.

Depending on your shoulder angle the brass will get thicker after a couple of firings as pressure pushes some brass forward. In my .308 I have to turn necks again after a couple of firings. With my 260AI, its once and I'm done.

Joe

4. rhovee

rhovee

I checked the calipers and they are working correctly. I even took a fired piece of brass and sized it and it came out .294. Not sure how virgin brass of the same lot can be that far off.

5. L.Sherm

L.Sherm

Anneal the brass and try again this time with the expander, stranger things have happened.

6. rhovee

rhovee

I think I figured it out. Somehow the bushing was being stuck and not floating cause the edges to overlap.

7. 243winxb

243winxb

Redding has the answer on their web site.

Quick answer- sizing down more than .008" in one step can do it.

Willie likes this.