Boyd's stocks

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by spudgun, Oct 15, 2018.

1. spudgun

spudgun

Anyone have a bad experience with Boy's stocks?

Purchased their AT-one stock for F class shooting.

The front receiver screw kept getting loose and after tightening it several time the head of the screws from them started sinking into the nylon insert in the stock.

Sent them a picture and they wanted the stock sent back for evaluation.

Well that was 3 weeks ago and still haven't heard from them about the replacement or sending my repaired stock back.

Got a shoot this weekend and looks like I will miss have to miss it.

Kinda like a tire company asking you to send a tire in for their evaluation and you can't drive the car without the tire...

Anyone else have this issue?

Attached Files:

2. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

Have you contacted them since they took delivery ?

3. spudgun

spudgun

Twice and all they tell me is they have a lot of stuff to evaluate....

4. jpx2rk

jpx2rk

I've read several comments about the torque on actions screws crushing the laminate construction. Several have used small washers made to fit to spread the stress out a bit more with success.

5. Sparky570

Sparky570

Open up hole on surface,,,JB weld???,,,ive used to bed a couple,,stuff is tuff

6. Sparky570

Sparky570

Cut down a brass fitting and polish for a washer??

7. perry42

perry42 Silver $$ Contributor

Like many shops I have a (20) year box of nuts, bolts, and washers. Found 2 washers that fit my AT1 stock and torqued the action screws after treating the threads with blue Loctite. This rifle is a 6br and so far no problems.

perry42

8. jepp2

jepp2 Gold $$ Contributor

No, but I have only purchased from them.

Kind of a "water under the bridge" comment, but if you had asked them prior to returning your stock, what their turnaround time would be, it might have saved you the current headache. I wouldn't have thought of it, but after your experience, I would do so now.

msinc likes this.
  9. msinc

msinc

Wow, I am very surprised to hear this...I have used several of their stocks over the years and had nothing but very good results. Never an issue and I'm always amazed at how well my barreled actions drop right in, save the occasional massaging on a few very small spots.

10. spudgun

spudgun

Yes, I found 1 washer in my junk box, but when I tried to put it on the threads would not catch the receiver. Went to a hardware store and discovered that the washer is metric outside diameter but the inside hole was too small for the screw.

I would think a steel or brass fitting in place of the nylon would have been the best solution, but then I didn't design the stock.

11. spudgun

spudgun

I did ask about the turn around time on my second call. The lady on the phone advised me that she could not get that info as they have many things to evaluate...

12. dsculley

dsculley

So the bolt head is recessed into the stock resting on a plastic washer? I think I would have made (or had made) a SS or brass escutcheon, epoxied it in, got a longer bolt, trimmed to fit and not looked back. A lot faster than sending it back and a final fix for the problem.

Sometimes it seems that it takes forever to send something back for repair/replacement. If the problem is something I can fix myself I will usually do so. Yes, it is sometimes frustrating to pay good money for something only to have to modify it myself but at least when I do I know it will work.

I work for a marine service company. When you work on a 10+ year old motor yacht or sport fish boat, many times you can't find a direct replacement and you have to come up with a work-around/solution. I tend to apply that to other things as well.

hogpatrol and BLCKWLF like this.
  13. jghoghunter

jghoghunter Gold $$ Contributor

I did ask about the turn around time on my second call. The lady on the phone advised me that she could not get that info as they have Many things to evaluate...

Twice and all they tell me is they have a lot of stuff to evaluate.

What does this say about their products!

14. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Off topic but this is customer service. My Parker Concorde crossbow trigger broke. I took it to the UPS depot at 2:30 p.m. on Monday afternoon, shipping from Christiana, DE to Staunton VA. I got it back 100% repaired plus a new string 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday afternoon, 51 hours total turnaround time.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  15. Phil

Phil

This is VERY telling.................:eek:

hogpatrol likes this.
  16. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Silver $$ Contributor

I've used a number of Boyds stocks, and always install pillars before use. Otherwise you are inviting problems with a laminate stock.

KRP, LA50SHOOTER and hogpatrol like this.
  17. Pyscodog

Pyscodog

I ordered a stock for my Remington ML. I paid extra for checkering. When I received the stock there was no checkering. A phone call and I could either send the stock back or get a refund on my CC. I took the refund. No problems with the stock at all. Or the CS.