Boyd's stock

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by Barlow, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Barlow

Barlow Silver $$ Contributor

I'm thinking about putting a Boyd's laminate stock on my 96 Swede with Brux barrel. What do you guys think about them, fit, finish etc. Thanks, Barlow

2. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

I've always thought that Boyds Laminate stocks were a pretty amazing value. jd

mikeinct and swd like this.
  3. msinc

msinc

Yep, I have had nothing but good results with Boyd's stocks...from the laminated prairie hunter to semi finished 1903 Springfield "C" stocks, the fit is perfect and the laminates are stable. I seldom have to adjust zero on any of my rifles that wear them. Excellent stock, buy with confidence...as above, not much out there today that works so good and cost effective too.

4. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Silver $$ Contributor

Ditto above. If you want best accuracy install pillars and bed it; takes a few hours but every bit helps.

5. Barlow

Barlow Silver $$ Contributor

Thanks for the info. Are they trim in profile or thick along the forend? Barlow

6. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

The one I've got would be a direct replacement for a Rem 700 ADL Sporter. Pretty trim. However I believe they would have heavier barrel versions. Maybe even beaver tail. jd

7. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Silver $$ Contributor

Boyds has many models. Go to their Find A Stock page and enter the particulars for your rifle to find out which models are inleted for your rifle. I just received a Precision Varmint Hunter for my old Tikka 695, fits well but I will install pillars before shooting. This model has a wide forend and "tactical" shape.

8. Fast14riot

Fast14riot

I put my 1917 into a Boyd's, great fit. They did install the sling studs crooked though, I'll just ad another one up front for the bipod.

9. centershot

centershot Silver $$ Contributor

If the stock you want does not have a wide barrel channel, it is very easy to open it up with sand paper and a deep well socket. I have purchased a few for a Savage. The only ones they have for a varmint barrel are thumb hole and I did not want that. Good deal for the dollar.

10. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

Bought a Boyd's thumbhole for my daughter's Rem 700 varmint 243. Love the fit and finish. I do think that a bedding job is mandatory on any of the Boyd's stocks. It shot really well as a drop in but consistency wasn't quite right until bedding it. Now it's very very consistent. As a deer rifle stock, bedding isn't necessary. As a paper puncher, I think it's worth the time.

11. spudgun

spudgun

New
    Bought their AT-one stock. Looks great but soon had a quality issue with it. Sent them pictures and they asked me to return it back for there evaluation department to look at it. Sent me a shipping label and I sent it in. After 5 weeks and several emails from me asking when will I get the stock back I was told don't have a date yet and they have a lot of things to evaluate.

Got the stock back and no explanation of work done or needed, stock was not repaired.

Wrote a letter to Boyd's CEO. Explained the issues I had with there customer service.

He sent me a email asking me to call the operations manager.

Called him today and spoke to the manager.

Out come is they are doing NOTHING to correct the issues.

Told me that if I ever wanted to buy another stock from them to contact him and he would give me a discount...

Yeah, like that's going to happen in my future......

So, my take is they don't care about there product or customers.....

Buyers beware....