Boyds or Stockys thumbhole stock?

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by rapidtransitracing, Aug 10, 2011.

1. rapidtransitracing

rapidtransitracing

Am looking to buy either a Boyds Varmint Thumbhole or a Stockys Long Range Varmint wood stock to go on a Savage 12FV in 223. Anyone have any experience with either of these? Are they truly drop in, minor fitting or ??? Any other issues? Thanks for any input!

2. MGYSGT

MGYSGT Silver $$ Contributor

I am one of those lefthanded shooters that always buys righthanded rifles. I found a lefthanded stock with a righthanded bolt cut at stockys. It was a laminated thumbhole type and only paid $50 for it. I had to open the barrel channel a bit for the fat barrel on my Rem700 (read sandpaper and a piece of PVC pipe) and then I bedded it. I suppose I could have used it the way it came without bedding it, but I like to bed my guns. Anyway, the stock looks good and feels comfortable while shooting. I can't talk to Boyds stocks, account I don't own one.

Tom

3. spudgun

spudgun

New
    Bought their AT-one stock. Looks great but soon had a quality issue with it. Sent them pictures and they asked me to return it back for there evaluation department to look at it. Sent me a shipping label and I sent it in. After 5 weeks and several emails from me asking when will I get the stock back I was told don't have a date yet and they have a lot of things to evaluate.

Got the stock back and no explanation of work done or needed, stock was not repaired.

Wrote a letter to Boyd's CEO. Explained the issues I had with there customer service.

He sent me a email asking me to call the operations manager.

Called him today and spoke to the manager.

Out come is they are doing NOTHING to correct the issues.

Told me that if I ever wanted to buy another stock from them to contact him and he would give me a discount...

Yeah, like that's going to happen in my future......

So, my take is they don't care about there product or customers.....

Buyers beware....

4. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

I have a Stocky's thumbhole stock. It's the Accublock LRV model and it's on sale right now for $299. It was almost drop-in for my rifle. My barrel was a little big forward of the recoil lug and I had to open it up. Took about 15 minutes and it was a drop-in! When I ordered the stock I was aware I would have to open up the barrel channel so it was no problem. Very nice, solid stock.

Bc'z likes this.
  5. CarlGeorge

CarlGeorge

I bought a Boyds Varmint Thumbhole and it was true drop-in (Rem 700). It took no fitting at all.

I wouldn't recommend the Boyds At-One. I didn't like it and ended up returning it.

I think Boyds is a really good value. But brace yourself if you need any sort of service. I've heard some of the stories (like that above). In both cases I ordered mine and just kept my fingers crossed. Both times ordering and speed of delivery was great.

6. Larryh128

Larryh128

Really any of these stocks need a skim coat of bedding. No 2 stocks or actions are perfectly identical. This includes stocks with aluminum bedding inserts. No hard and only takes a short time to do it.