Boyd's new "AT-ONE" Stock review

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Ledd Slinger, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

I am re-barreling my son's Howa 1500 in 6.5x55 Swede and was looking for an affordable aftermarket stock. Not many affordable options out there for the Howa/Vanguard actions. Especially not so for shorter LOP stocks. So I went with this new Boyds At-One adjustable stock.

Starting price is only $180. I paid a little extra for the "Ripple Coyote" color laminate so total was $214 shipped. This price definitely gave me some doubts, but for the money I figured it was worth a shot.

I was mostly worried about the fit and finish quality for the price, but as Ive found with all Boyds stocks, the fit and finish was exceptionally good compared to any stock at any price point. The adjustable cheek piece and butt plate are very solid when locked into position. Maybe not quite as rock solid as a stock with a tension locking system, but definitely solid enough that it would not be a concern for accuracy. The solidity of adjustment points was actually my biggest surprise given the price point.

The cheek rest is made from some sort of rubber material that is very high quality. Although it is a rubber type material, I found it did not want to pull the skin on my face at all when I pressed my cheek hard against the rest and moved it back and forth. Whatever the material is composed of, it has a good slick surface to it. There is just a little play when the cheek piece is locked into different positions, but like I said before, I don't think it's enough to be of any concern. I really like the push button locking system. Very fast and easy to make adjustments.

The butt plate has almost no play when set to different LOP positions. The adjustments are a lot finer as well so LOP can be tuned to just the right spot for any shooter, youth or adult. It is made from a thick aluminum plate and a rubber butt pad. However, there is very little cushion on the pad, nearly a solid piece of rubber, so I don't think this stock would be ideal for heavy recoiling rifles that do not employ a muzzle brake. Nonetheless, the fit, finish, and solidity of the butt pad are excellent. A job well done by Boyds.

Both push bottons for adjustable pieces do take considerable force to depress making it a two handed operation in all cases. Up side to this is that you can be sure the cheek piece or butt pad will hold their positions and stay solid.

The butt of the stock has a hole for a quick detach side mount swivel sling stud on both sides up near the front of the comb. Though I will probably not use this, it may be an attractive feature to some folks. Not sure why they didn't add one on the sides of the forearm though?...

It also comes with double Mikes sling swivel studs on the bottom of the forearm and one on the bottom of the butt for standard style bolt rifle sling attachments.

As you can see in the pictures, the grips and forearm can be changed out. Supposedly Boyds will be offering wider forearm options and grips with wider palm swells if a person desires such a thing. I am not sure why there is a removable plate under the butt? Perhaps they will also be offering a bag rider option for the butt of the stock. Not sure.

The waves in the laminations are induced into the wood to get the unique 'ripple' color effect. My son really likes the look of it so I'm happy too :)

My one issue is how sharp they made the forearm tip on the top and sides. I will leave it as is for now, but I forsee this getting damaged and chipping off with field use in the future. At which point I will simply round the points and edges off and refinish so it's not a huge concern.

In conclusion, this is a LOT of stock for the money. Not sure how Boyds can put this much engineering and quality into a piece of wood for under $200, but they do. Of course only time can be the real judge of the At-One quality, but first impressions have me very impressed for the price point. Hope this review helps some of you that may have been wondering about these stocks. Thanks folks.

20170909_060034.jpg

20170909_060135.jpg

20170909_060322.jpg

20170909_060254.jpg

20170909_060335.jpg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    SG4247, swd, mac86951 and 7 others like this.
  2. gotcha

gotcha

Thanks for the review Ledd slinger !! I was unaware of this new offering from Boyd's. :oops: Checking other Pic's of this stock on line I've yet to see one with the wavy laminate on the fore-end. Was this an option you picked or a surprise when you opened the box ?? :rolleyes: Nice stock mechanically but if Boyd's intention was to enhance the looks with the wavy thing I think they missed the boat JMHO. ....................... Maybe they should have named this pattern the AT-ONE sine waveo_O Otherwise, keep up the good work!!

300_whisper likes this.
  3. Ledd Slinger

Like I said, I'm not sure if this was intentional to get the color pattern. Coyote laminate is a new color offering and this may be how they do it. My son really likes the looks of it, but this was a bit of a surprise to me. I have ordered Boyds laminate stocks in nutmeg and pepper colors for small varmint rifles in the past and all the laminations were straight.

There is no way this could have been missed by QC during production, way too obvious, so I assume the waves are intentional.

Notice that the waves are a consistent size and length down the forearm as well. It looks induced to me.

gotcha likes this.
  4. pacificman

pacificman

Good review...I bought one for one of my rifles and for the price it's a nice stock. The action in my rifle
    fit like a glove but I of course still did some bedding work to make it perfect...I also had to hog out the
    fore end for free float. I liked the fact that I did not have to do a bunch of work to get the stock to fit
    my action and barrel. Like you I don't care for the fore arm tip as it's a bit sharp and could be a bit thin if ya had to
    hog out for a very large diameter barrel. I am very happy so far with this stock.:)

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  5. Pulpit

Pulpit Silver $$ Contributor

Great review, I truly appreciate how you not only took the time but also pointed out the positives and possible negatives based on your experience. Thanks!

It made me go to their site to look at them for a possible project. I noticed they have a "ripple" option for $25 more. I'm guessing that is what you received?

Looks pretty cool, though I am more a fan of the traditional straight laminate. My kids would certainly love it too I bet.

Thanks again.

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  6. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

I know NOTHING about laminate construction so I will not even venture a guess on the "wave", but it makes me dizzy to look at! Kinda like it was left out in the sun and melted!

Otherwise, great review, thanks

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  7. PA Jeep

PA Jeep Silver $$ Contributor

The waves are the "ripple" coyote and done on purpose. I have a few ripple effect stocks and a bunch of the straight laminates no issues with any of them.

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  8. Ledd Slinger

It definitely looked like it was intentional. I did pay extra for this color and pattern just so my son would have something a little different. I wasn't aware that I was paying for the ripple effect too. I think it was actually called "Ripple Coyote" if I remember right, but it never donned on me that it would have wavy laminations. Thanks for the confirmation on the intentional ripple and reassurance that you haven't had any issues with it :)

I suppose I was surprised because there wasnt a picture of the Ripple Coyote laminate on the site when I selected it.

I guess my only gripe now is the sharp forearm tip ;)

9. Ledd Slinger

Now that we've figured out that the laminations are supposed to be wavy and I now recall paying extra for the Ripple Coyote pattern, I have updated my first post of the review.

10. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

I bought the AT-One for my CZ455 build. I agree that it is a great value. Mine required no mods to the inletting except to allow the larger Mr. Fly trigger to have clearance. I had it bedded and pillared but probably could have gotten by without it. As for issues, I had a difficult time extending the LOP due to a very stiff button but that has loosened up a bit and is working as it is designed now. I believe it's a perfect stock for the 455 and I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a hunting rig either, as the weight is not too much to lug around.

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  11. Ledd Slinger

It's nothing a person would ever consider a lightweight stock. I weighed it on my scale and with inletting for the Howa 1500 long action it comes in at a hefty 45 oz., or 2 lbs 13oz.

Compared to my 22 oz carbon fiber stock for a Rem 700 long action, the AT-One is very heavy.

An inletted stock for short actions, single shot actions, or ADL style actions would weigh even more.

20170909_151448.jpg

12. OKyote73

OKyote73

Was wondering if anyone have one for a ruger American predator. You would have to have new bottom metal and where to get it?

13. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

Well, we do need to consider mine is for a much smaller rifle.
    The weight would not stop me from buying another one.

14. 5spd

5spd

How is that paneled palm swell? It just looks out of place with the panels on it. Is it comfortable as it does not seem to look hand friendly to me at least.
    Thanks

gotcha likes this.
  15. centershot

centershot Silver $$ Contributor

What actions are these offered for?

16. Ledd Slinger

Pretty much anything in existence

17. Ledd Slinger

They do look out of place, but they are confortable.

gotcha likes this.
  18. gotcha

gotcha

Interesting to note that Ripple is now being made in Coyote flavor.

19. boltman13

boltman13 Gold $$ Contributor

I have been thinking about restocking my Ruger 1022 bull barrel rifle with that stock. I think the adjustable butstock is butt ugly but would probably not lengthen it as I shoot rim fire bench rest sillouette or bench rest with a bipod. The adjustable comb seams ok but it does not seem to go as high as the other adjustable comb Boyds offers. That coyote ripple effect looks real cool. Thanks for posting pictures. Weight is not a factor for my project. I have had excellent results with Boyd's stocks in the past.

20. missed

missed

I have a Sky blue ripple on the way for my daughters Tikka, the ripple is awesome. I am going to build a mini chassis for the Tikka that will take AICS pattern mags also. I did order the "target" grip and foreend for hers also. I need to install flush cups in it to utilize the slings we have also. Looking forward to it getting here!