Box Stands for Deer Hunting

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by NCVarhtr, Jan 3, 2018.

1. FatOldMIHunter

FatOldMIHunter

This is a 6X8 tower blind that is about 12' above grade. It has a trapdoor entry and the window openings are covered with framed wood when not in use.

0722141236-00.jpg

0725141657-00.jpg 0824141445-02.jpg

Immike likes this.
  2. FatOldMIHunter

FatOldMIHunter

If you put a trapdoor in the floor of your tower blind, make sure it is big enough to get a comfy chair through. Sitting on a 5 gallon bucket for hours is not fun.

3. Immike

Immike Silver $$ Contributor

He’s right ^^^ I had to put the office chair in the stand before I put the roof on. Any back pain will ruin a guys hunting season so I’m sold on chairs made for long sessions.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    FatOldMIHunter likes this.
  4. 308sawyer

308sawyer Silver $$ Contributor

stand-01-01.jpeg I put this together about 15 years ago out of some old pallet racking, it took about 2 spools of wire out of the mig gun, a bunch of paint and a few crane picks with the old Lorain. I built it close to the shop and once it was done I dragged it out to where it sits with a tractor. There's no trees on that end of the farm so this was the next best thing. Back then when someone was about 3 or 4 this would hide her movements... Now shes out there too wackin deer how cool

KS6.5SHTR, markT, mikeinct and 2 others like this.
  5. kcjim

kcjim Silver $$ Contributor

image.jpeg I built this three years ago. The floor is 10' above the ground. Has a trap door in the floor. I tie down a sturdy pop-up blind that I leave on the platform for about three weeks during deer season. I have built two of these. It's very important to anchor each leg of the stand securely to the ground to prevent them from blowing over when the blind is attached (don't ask me how I know). The platform is 5' x 5'. Works really well for rifle hunting.

shootinstuff, foxguy, markT and 2 others like this.
  6. FatOldMIHunter

FatOldMIHunter

This was the fastest blind I've built. It was nothing more than lifting a surplus "tool house" onto a hay wagon. I spent more time installing the propane heater than I did setting the house on the wagon. I spent a little time on the plywood windows on the three sides. This doubles as the shooting house for my personal gun range. 0109181317.jpg

range.jpg

EWaugh and Immike like this.
  7. Immike

What are those on the ends of the legs? Looks like saw horse hardware?
    Where the deck ties in to the legs.

8. kcjim

kcjim Silver $$ Contributor

Immike,

Those are "Elevators" brand steel brackets made for building elevated blinds. They are available from Cabelas and elsewhere.

shootinstuff and Immike like this.
  9. RussellJ

RussellJ

308sawyer;
    I have to say it.... After looking at the picture of your blind, it must be a Shadow Hunter Blind!!!

308sawyer likes this.
  10. 284winner

284winner Silver $$ Contributor

I think you'd have to build a blind around a chair like that. It'd have to be quite a trap door to fit an office chair thru it.

11. P1ZombieKiller

P1ZombieKiller Gold $$ Contributor

I built a 7'x7'x7' stealth containment system that double dips. This unit was for my small son so he can shoot out of as well as I can bow hunt from. My youngest is small, and could not hold a rifle so he uses a Caldwell Field pod.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. FatOldMIHunter

FatOldMIHunter

The floor opening in one of my blinds is 28" X 28". The trap door is two pieces, like a french door. I don't use office chairs, just a dining table chair or a resin lawn chair. The resin chairs are not good when I'm wearing lots of winter gear. They stay with me when I stand up. The adirondack style resin chairs are better, but they are lower and lean back too far, so they need risers under the back legs.

13. 284winner

Great idea having double swinging doors

14. fredo

fredo Silver $$ Contributor

Made this one 4x4
    Lexan windows fold up inside the box.
    Old office chair is super comfy...
    [​IMG]
    Legs are 4x4"x6'.
    Roof is corrugated. Ladder is aluminum from scrap heap. Stapled down some carpet for quiet floor and got after the whole thing with paint. Used a roller for a good soaking base layer, then finished with rattle cans...
    [​IMG]
    Kinda 'overbuilt' it, but it's friggin solid!

15. Babbylon44

Babbylon44

Deer hunting is always interesting. I like it. But unfortunately I don't know much how to deer hunting. Interested to get more info about this.

16. spife7980

spife7980 Silver $$ Contributor

BB939C53-8599-4B0B-BEE9-6A8B47500144.jpeg The latest one, made it 6x4 instead of 4x4. Hardiboard sides mean they don’t warp, and bird proof and last unlike wood sides. Metal roof, plexi glass windows that sit tight in sheet metal runners. They last so long as people don’t kick the sides out.

kcjim likes this.
  17. yukonal

yukonal Silver $$ Contributor

The two adults you refer to must be 400lbs apiece. I routinely have two adults in mine, with back packs. We both have room between us, and on either side. And both our guns rest from the bench seat, to the front window...between us.

No, I'd have to say 4X6 is about the perfect size for a box blind.

18. FatOldMIHunter

FatOldMIHunter

Bench seats are horrible for long sits. I have to be able to sit back and stretch my legs a little. Impossible in only 4'. And 5' wide offers no room for the heater or any shelving on the sides.

19. 284winner

Great idea putting that door under the window and using the window as part of the door opening. I like it. Now I have to decide on the floor hatch or your design. Looks like you used 2x3 lumber ?

Immike likes this.
  20. Immike

One thing that I have changed in my ladders is a wide first step at the top. I have 2 handrails on the one that’s in the picture but now I offset the ladder to get a 12” wide step to get out on and turn around. It’s a hell of a lot safer for kids and guys with backpacks full of gear.

timeout and 284winner like this.