Box Stands for Deer Hunting

Discussion in 'Varminter & Hunting Forum' started by NCVarhtr, Jan 3, 2018.

1. NCVarhtr

NCVarhtr Gold $$ Contributor

You guys that use Box Stands for Deer Hunting--What size do you normally build. 4X4 or 5X5 or what. How high off the ground do you make the floor? Pictures of your Condos would really be appreciated... Thanks so much......

Immike likes this.
  2. Sniper338

Sniper338 Silver $$ Contributor

4x4, 4x8, 5x5, 5x8.... we got all of em. 4s and 8s are easiest as wood is cut that way. 5s are nicer room wise inside.

4x4 is very hard with two people and two chairs, fyi.

cut out windows, put hinges on the botyom so windows drop open, you wont regret that. Tin on the roof.

we have blinds on cinder blocks, 4ft, 8ft, and 12ft. Depends where your putting it so you can see what you want. 4 to 5 ft is about right in most cases around us.

Immike likes this.
  3. LHSmith

LHSmith

Pansies.....I climb up a bull pine and perch on top..............well I used to;)

Bc'z, 370bc, chop house and 10 others like this.
  4. Immike

Immike Silver $$ Contributor

6’ x 8’ is most comfortable after walls take off 7” from interior you have room for a safe heater corner and can hunt 2-3 if needed. I use 16” all bypass 1/4” glass from corner to corner for unobstructed view and all windows can open. Build the floor with tounge and groove 2 x 6’s and carpet so it’s quiet when I move my feet.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  5. markT

markT Silver $$ Contributor

I'm glad you posted this. I'm planning on building a box stand this summer or sooner. Right now I have two platforms that are built on 4"x4"x16' PTL. I used a tree to lag a 2x8x14'.. I drove some old abandoned bent to crap SCDoT steel perforated posts into the ground and lag bolted the 4x4's to the posts.
    The platforms are 5'x6'.. almost perfect for two hunters. I don't have tops on them but I'm going to add tops and sides and the windows should be sliders.
    Best of luck with yours and i'll post pics of mine when I start the new build.

Attached Files:

nmkid, boltfluter and Immike like this.
  6. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

I've built a couple and put them on old wagon running gears. Works great BTW!
    I built them 6x8 and have been happy with the size. I will say, being on a wagon frame, I over built the base on purpose. I used 2x10 floor joists because of the flexing of the frame when moving them. They basically need to stay rigid from the rear attachment points..full length when the front wagon axle pivots. I use a chain up front to allow the front axle to walk without twisting on the "house." The foundation of this "house" moves so I built the rest, not to. After putting inside and outside sheathing over the 2x4 stud walls, it does what I hoped and the structure is very rigid.

Probably overkill, but lumber in small quantities is cheap.

As for windows, I agree that wider is better and I like tall as well. Not only that, but low enough to shoot while sitting..So big windows are a huge plus for sitting and standing. That said, I'd look for some vinyl takeout windows from a remodel, etc. Windows are another reason to build the structure to be very rigid. I think a 3x5 window is best, on the long walls and a 3x3 for the one short wall that doesn't have a door. I need a corner to lean in while I hunt. Lol!

Depending on height, an old storm door works well. Find one you can cut down, if possible. Remember the tall windows though! A good header will help keep them from flexing too much, too.

If building on site and non-movable, this is way overkill but I really appreciate being able to move them and not bust glass out, yet have good seals and heat.

Oh yeah...a small ventless heater will run on a grill tank for a long time.--Mike

AckleymanII and Immike like this.
  7. yukonal

yukonal Silver $$ Contributor

I built mine 4X8. The blind is 4X6, and this gives me a 2' deck to stand on, outside the door, after I climb up the ladder. Gives me room to swing the door open, and take off my pack before I walk in, while standing on the "deck". Very safe! 236.JPG

8. LHSmith

LHSmith

^^^^^ I have seen them boutique yuppie "Little Houses" on the Animal Planet channel smaller than that. Did you build yours for less than $45k?

9. yukonal

$500.00 for materials. Don't think that included the corner braces.

Killed a bunch of deer out of "The Rack Shack".:D

mikeinct likes this.
  10. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

And jammed a 1"x10" board between two limbs and sat on it....carefully

mikeinct, Immike and LHSmith like this.
  11. yukonal

^^^ I did that...40 years ago.:p

mikeinct and LHSmith like this.
  12. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

I prefer a blind to hugging a tree...but that's just me. I've done it both ways. It's not even close. Lol!

Immike likes this.
  13. LHSmith

LHSmith

Then you payed your dues.....you have earned the upgrade in accommodations.:)

EdwardRobertson, mikeinct and Immike like this.
  14. Immike

Immike Silver $$ Contributor

There’s nothing in the rule book that says I have to continue to suffer! Lol

mikeinct likes this.
  15. snert

Recently someone alleged I was seen in rather opulent circumstances shooting my rifle...but I denied it. See the "name that deer hunter" thread ;)

Immike likes this.
  16. snert

17. snert

10x10 posts, deck of laminate, redwood rails. Fiberglass tub, big enough for friends....still trying to overcome the fogged scope thing, going back to irons...

mrjdasr and wholman like this.
  18. LHSmith

LHSmith

You must be a real wizard at shooting through mirage now.

Dgd6mm, snert and Immike like this.
  19. TimS

TimS Gold $$ Contributor

IMG_1233.JPG

6x6 insulated, heated, bug proof, and solar power for phones and computer and so on.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  20. markT

markT Silver $$ Contributor

Just a thought.

Attached Files: