Bottom Eject?

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by Curious, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Curious

Curious

Guys,

Are there any real world advantages to building a LR BR rig using a bottom eject action?

I want to order a Borden BRMMF but Im unsure whether to go RBLPRE or RBLPBE

I would welcome any thoughts or experiences, the case will most likely be a BRA but also maybe something based on the 6.5x47 size.

My current rig is RBLPRE and that works great, I wasn't sure if bottom eject has any benefits though.

2. jghoghunter

jghoghunter Gold $$ Contributor

The only advantage I see is you don't have to do something to catch the brass. It falls directly under the stock. I've always laid a towel down anyway and now that's ALL I have to do to catch my brass.

3. rayporter

rayporter Silver $$ Contributor

sometimes the brass will land on a joystick handle and bounce off the bench.

4. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Well your not gonna do a 47 case. They are set up for br cases, which is what you should run anyhow in LR BR. The lack of ejector does a couple things. You can run hotter loads and not get extractor flow. This is not worth much but if your right on the edge it may help cases live longer. You dont have to remove the ejector to check headspace or seating depth. Cases fall in a pile and dont get thrown off the bench or get dinged necks. It comes down mainly to personal preference and there are guys that love it one way or the other. Its not going to effect your groups or how you place. You cant go wrong either way

dmoran likes this.
  5. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

It does affect your groups and where you place when your brass tumbles off where its not supposed to and breaks the zone youre in. Even more so when you hear brass hitting the ground from the next bench and you think you may get em mixed up!!

6. steve123

steve123

I saw on their site that there are drop ports that will work for 284 Win, so it seems 6.5x47 should work???

muleystalker likes this.
  7. Alex Wheeler

If you go with a BRL (long action)

8. XXPER

XXPER Silver $$ Contributor

How is the bolt converted from a left port eject to a bottom eject when an action is converted to a bottom eject? I have a Teddy action RB/LP that I have considered having converted to drop port.

9. Alex Wheeler

You order a bolt with no ejector or extractor. Then put one in at 6 oclock and cut the port

10. Papa Charlie

Papa Charlie Silver $$ Contributor

I have a couple not so brilliant questions;
    1) Are you installing the ejector at 12 o-clock and the extractor at 6 o-clock?
    2) How dot they load rounds without the round falling through the bottom?

11. swd

swd Yep that's me Gold $$ Contributor

They don't need an ejector, gravity drops the nose down and it falls through the port. When you load you just push the round forward slightly. It's a great, simple system.

12. Papa Charlie

I may be making an over simplified assumption, but it sounds as though any rifle can be converted by replacing the bolt and leaving the mag or bottom metal out.

13. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

Except it would be hard to get the loaded rounds into the chamber without them falling through. Matt

boltfluter and swd like this.
  14. johara1

johara1

It would be easy on a Savage, make plug to fit the magazine opening that has the proper size cut out for the case to drop through. Take the ejector out and pug it, remove the extractor and replace it with a Sako style at 6:00 and it would be the safest because of the second set lugs that block the raceways Plus you could cone the bolt face and barrel and it would feed better....... Jim

15. Papa Charlie

Oh, so the bottom port is only wide enough to allow the case to drop through. This also helps with the loading as the opening being narrow makes it easier to insert the round into the chamber without it dropping through.
    Cool concept.
    With my XLR Evolution chassis, I could make an insert that would lock into the magazine well that would restrict the opening. Then all I would need is a Remington 700 bolt with the 6 o-clock ejector.

16. johara1

johara1

Sounds good except for on a rem. two lug when it is closed the 6:00 sako extractor is in the race way. If it blows a case you will be the first to know. I believe when Stiller came up with this he used a Remington extractor at 6:00 to be safe....... Jim

17. Jim_Borden

Jim_Borden

Well I do NOT use a Sako extractor on the bottom eject actions so your comment does NOT apply. The extractor I use is internal to boldface and there are no external cuts to the bolt body

tmwinds, Curious, JRS and 3 others like this.
  18. johara1

johara1

I know that, if you read a little closer I said Remington. I made no reference to your new action...... Jim

19. AlloyTargets

AlloyTargets Site $$ Sponsor

The no ejector thing is a big deal for me. Meaning, I like not having one to remove when finding length at lands.

dkhunt14 likes this.
  20. Toby Bradshaw

Toby Bradshaw Gold $$ Contributor

The Kelbly TG ejector works great and doesn't put pressure on the case head when the bolt is in battery. Best of both worlds even if you don't use a drop port.

[​IMG]

LarryDScott and AlloyTargets like this.