Boretech C4 carbon getter

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Richard Coody, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Richard Coody

Richard Coody Silver $$ Contributor

This stuff is amazing. Never had patches come out this clean. Even the carbon in the throat is gone. Confirmed with my borescope.

2. JLT

JLT Gold $$ Contributor

Agree, it's good stuff! I drank the Bore Tech Kool Aid about three years ago and that's pretty much all I use. C4 and Eliminator are a great combination for me.

I tried CarbOut for a bit but went back to C4.

ASbobcat and dkhunt14 like this.
  3. Comrade Terry

Comrade Terry Gold $$ Contributor

C4 followed by Cu+2 if needed. I've tried a bunch, and these are the best so far.

I use C4 on the bore as soon as I'm done with my session at the range, and finish cleaning once I get home. That makes life a lot easier.

dkhunt14 and ratbuster like this.
  4. ngb1787

ngb1787 Silver $$ Contributor

All i ever use anymore is bore tech, nothing better.

B_Thomas likes this.
  5. Capt. Oblivious

Capt. Oblivious

For carbon I haven't found anything that beats C4

6. nmkid

nmkid Silver $$ Contributor

I use both the C4 and KG1. Can't decide which one to stick with as both work great.

7. K22

K22

I switched last year from Shooter's Choice to Bore Tech C4 for carbon removal and Cu+2 for copper removal. I switched because the wife could no longer tolerate the smell of Shooter's Choice. Can't say I was ever dissatisfied with Shooter's Choice's performance.

I clean in two step now, first using C4 with a bronze brush instead of a nylon brush. Second after patching out the C4 I use Cu+2 with nylon brush. I still like the idea of using a bronze brush for carbon remover that's why I use the two step process. (You can't use a bronze brush with Eliminator because it has both a carbon and cooper remover).

The C4 seems to work well and fast. I'm not sure about the Cu+2 since I get very little if any bluing on my patches. Perhaps the C4 is taking all the fouling out, I don't know. Might call Bore Tech and see what they say.

dkhunt14 and 1BAD284 like this.
  8. ratbuster

ratbuster Silver $$ Contributor

Exactly what I do. CU+2 turns blue if copper is there so what little you have is being removed by C4

dkhunt14 likes this.
  9. 1BAD284

1BAD284

K22, I just switched from shooters choice(for20+years) also Sweets occasionally to using Bore tech a week ago when a friend of mine let me borrow some of his, I was just amazed by the performance of this stuff. I had cleaned (at least thought I did) my barrel after a Saturday shoot and asked him to try his Bore Tech C4 and CU+2 cleaner Sunday morning before the days match got started. Couldn't believe how much junk came out! Have also ordered some jags from them as to not get false readings. Now if they could just get it to smell like Hoppies #9, for sentimental reasons only!:D

ASbobcat and dkhunt14 like this.
  10. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

I just left the Bore Tech factory. Picked up a couple of their proof positive jags. I like them becuase they dont show the false blue on your patches. A few months ago I stopped in and talked to the guys. He told me the C4 will work on copper, just not as fast. I use the C4 to get rid of carbon and then Eliminator to clean. Matt

11. C.E.Smith043

C.E.Smith043 Gold $$ Contributor

12. M-61

M-61 "Quis Separabit" Silver $$ Contributor

I also have had the best results with their C4
    I have a huge bottle of Hoppes # 9. I soak a patch with the Hoppe's, leave it on the bench and clean with the BoreTech. The smell is pure nostalgia.

JLT, timeout, flamethrower and 3 others like this.
  13. 1BAD284

1BAD284

I'm glad I'm not the only one left out there that can remember using Hoppe's #9 as my first cleaner,( 40+ Years ago).It brings back some of the warmest memories of my life! If they were just to bring it out as a perfume that ladies would agree to wear, (with a side order of bacon grease) I might just entertain thoughts of getting remarried someday.:p I will try that trick of opening up a bottle of Hoppe's#9 and leaving it there while I am using my brand spanking new bottles of Bore Tech to properly clean my barrels.

14. K22

K22

I started centerfire rifle shooting in the late 60's. Back then Hoppe's No. 9 was the standard. My entire family were shooters and hunters and everyone used Hoppe's No. 9. I still use it on my 22 rimfire revolvers and centerfire revolvers that shoot lead bullets. Its works great on these.

Interesting comments about C4 relative to copper removal. I use Dewey aluminum jags and brush adapters and when using CU+2 I use a Bore Tech Nylon brush that has a non-bronze core. I follow Bore's Tech's instruction except I use the bronze brush for carbon removal. I could be wrong but I believe the mechanical action of the brush aids in prevent a carbon ring from forming.

1BAD284 likes this.
  15. Richard Coody

Richard Coody Silver $$ Contributor

Reminds me of sitting in front of the fireplace warming up after a long day of quail hunting with my father cleaning the shotguns with the smell of hoppes, wet dog and that smell a long worn hunting coat gets. I have hoppes in my gun cabinet to this day. The smell brings back many pleasant memories.

fultonbig9 and 1BAD284 like this.
  16. 1BAD284

1BAD284

I will try using a bronze brush when using the C4. Is C4 hard on bronze brushes? I have used only Iosso nylon brushes so far. Are the bore tech nylon brushes as stout as the Iosso brushes?

17. powderbrake

powderbrake Silver $$ Contributor

I use Bore Tech Carbon remover and Cu+, and they work great. I have switched to Deweys Copper eliminator rods, brushes and jags. No copper so no false blue marks.

18. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

I was put onto KG1 a while back and all was good. Then I found BT C4 and my life is whole again. More time for shooting and less time cleaning. If it needs it I put a patch of IOSSO on the throat/carbon ring area to keep that slick.

1BAD284 and dkhunt14 like this.
  19. BenPerfected

BenPerfected Silver $$ Contributor

If you use the a bronze brush slightly larger than the neck, and twist it will keep the carbon ring at bay and I see no loss in accuracy at 500 yds. Overall, I am getting confident that a clean barrel is very important to accuracy.

wapiti25 likes this.
  20. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

I rarely use bronze brushes any more. i do put that patch of IOSSO over a slightly larger nylon brush and that makes getting it all pretty very quick and easy.

dkhunt14 likes this.