Bore Scope

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by nmkid, Mar 20, 2019.

1. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

Who makes the borescope that Larry Willis sells? larrywillis.com

[​IMG]

2. Bojo

Bojo

I'm gona say maybe Bruce ????

Free bump cause I'd like yo know as well

3. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Its called an endoscope. You can get one off of amazon for like $3 if you have some money to toss out. The guy who sells them has posted on some threads recently if you do a search. I believe my man @Texas10 is one that uses them

4. ballisticxlr

ballisticxlr

Cheap ones are pure garbage, as noted above. You get what you pay for. The Lyman is a couple hundred bucks and is about the minimum. You can get one at midwayusa.com. Clarity is ok, viewable area is really small. I know a few people with them. Anything significantly better is a grand or more.

Unless you really know what you're gunna be looking at, my advice is to skip it. All it'll do for the average joe is cause unnecessary mental anguish over nothing. If the gun shoots, shoot it.

Rushty, tmwinds, Bamban and 1 other person like this.
  5. divingin

divingin Gold $$ Contributor

Most endoscopes have lenses that look forward. Borescopes have the same, but use a mirror to shift the view to 90 degrees from the lens. Unless the endoscope comes with a 90 degree mirror attachment (that will still fit your bore) I'd skip it.

6. Riesel

Riesel Gold $$ Contributor

It's the best most entertaining 9.00 I ever spent.;) With a little practice and to learn what you are looking for they are pretty helpful looking down a bore. Sure, not as good as an 1100.00 Hawkeye borescope but can a Hawkeye help you find the leak behind the refrigerator or look up your nose:eek:

7. jwink

jwink

After looking at the bores of my best shooting guns, I use my scope mostly for finding the quarter that rolled under the fridge. Don't use it in a gun unless something has gone terribly wrong with accuracy. My guess is that Kreiger knows that a polished mirror finish is not needed. Look at a spider under a microscope and you'd be killing the dang things from many yards away not smashing them with your hand.

NorCalMikie and tmwinds like this.
  8. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

Thanks all. Not really looking to buy, just wondering.

9. PatMiles

PatMiles Gold $$ Contributor

muleman69 likes this.
  10. EndoSnake

EndoSnake

There's a discussion about ours in another thread :)
    http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/endo-snake-bore-scope.3967456/

11. Texas10

Texas10 Gold $$ Contributor

Or the rat nest in the wall...LOL. Don't ask me how I know :mad:

NorCalMikie likes this.
  12. ChrisNZ

ChrisNZ

I have easy access to a Hawkeye and also have a Lyman borecam myself. For most shooters who want to know how well their cleaning regimen works or to check bore condition on a pending buy, the Borecam will be all they need

13. Shinbone

Shinbone

I have a Lyman Borecam. Small field of view, and not the sharpest image. But, it functions well enough to evaluate bore condition. I use it to inspect a throat before buying a used gun. Also, I use it to evaluate factory new guns.

The Borecam has paid for itself many times over in these roles. Either, by avoiding buying a used gun that looks good on the outside, but has a near shot-out throat. And by discovering crooked throats on new guns before ever firing a shot, and returning for a new barrel. The later has happened twice, and with high-end guns. The Lyman Borecam easily takes photos, which really helps to prove your case when arguing with a resistant manufacturer. Last thing a gun maker wants are photos blasted all over the internet showing they don't know how to use a throat reamer.

Here's two photos of a crooked throat. The first shows a land coming all the way to the case mouth. Second is 180 degrees from the first and shows no land at all. Once the manufacturer saw these photos, it quickly took the gun back and put on a new barrel. Manufacturer shall remain nameless because they stepped up and fixed the problem. I would have shot and reloaded for this gun forever with poor results and never known why without the Borecam. Saved me a ton of time and expense.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Ccrider, jwink and painter like this.