bore cleaning supplies

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by richard_123, Mar 8, 2011.

1. richard_123

richard_123

recommended company for cleaning rods, jags, brushes, patches

2. fdshuster

fdshuster

You'll get a lot opinions on this subject, so here goes: Bore Tech and Dewey for cleaning rods. Bore Tech "Proof Positive" for stab jags when used with copper solvents, otherwise plain brass jags. Sinclair for brush's. Sinclair and Montana Extreme for 100% cotton flannel cleaning patch's. You'll get a lot of good suggestions, so consider them all.

3. HillbillySniper

HillbillySniper Send It!

I use both Dewy and Bore Tech. 100% cotton cleaning patch's from my local gun shop and faoming bore bright let it sit 15 to 20 minutes three to four patch's my rifles clean

Hillbilly

4. 40X Guy

40X Guy

I love my Bore-Tech cleaning rods with the proof positive jags, Sinclair brushes, and Pro Shot cleaning patches. Solvents -they all work decent, some better than others. Everyone has their favorite.

Sinclair would be a great one stop shop for all your needs.

Frank

5. artbosco

artbosco

Good patches almost anywhere. Everything else: http://www.deweyrods.com/

6. CoverDog

CoverDog Silver $$ Contributor

+4 for Bore-Tech rods. Love the handles, they spin forever.

7. Jayman_10x

Jayman_10x

I use the same materials as Hillbilly. I don't brush anymore - haven't found the need with Bore Tech. I make sure to shoot the foam down the bore immediately after I finish firing for the day, when the barrel is still warm (not hot!). Then I let it soak a few hours then push out the bad stuff with a few patches. If it looks like more fouling exists then I'll shoot more foam down the barrel and let that sit a few hours, then push it out. By then I'm usually clean enough. I use those good coated straight Dewey rods with Sinclair bore guides. The key is be patient and allow time for the Bore Tech to work its magic.

dogdude likes this.
  8. LHSmith

LHSmith

Don't forget the bore guide with the proper o-ring intact.....especially if you opt for those foaming cleaners......they can play real havoc on your trigger.

9. CoverDog

CoverDog Silver $$ Contributor

Good point we have all overlooked. A great bore guide will only help a great rod. That's why I use Mike Lucas bore guides for every gun I shoot.

10. alex ramsey

alex ramsey

11. ngb1787

ngb1787 Silver $$ Contributor

Boretech

12. Dos XX

Dos XX Russell Myers Gold $$ Contributor

Jet likes this.
  13. WayneShaw

WayneShaw

I wish someone made better bronze brushes. I have used Sinclair, ProShot, Dewey, and they all loose the brush pieces well before they wear out.

14. LRPV

LRPV Jason Walker Gold $$ Contributor

Try some Otis brushes. They are shorter than normal, run a little bigger than normal, but they last as well as any others and do a good job. As with any brush, if you use them with a copper solvent they are going to degrade faster even when you rinse them off.

kneedtospeed likes this.
  15. PMA3

PMA3 Gold $$ Contributor

Bore Tech for rods and jags, Montana Extreme for brushes, Pro Shot for patches and Mike Lucas Bore guides.

16. JBT

JBT Gold $$ Contributor

Bore Tech rods if you want coated...Ivy stainless steel may make the best uncoated rods available. Pro shot patches. Bore tech jags for spear type otherwise I like Parker Hale type and wrap the patch.

Good quality two piece bore guide such as a Lucas or those made by Dave Halblom.

17. kneedtospeed

kneedtospeed Silver $$ Contributor

Jason, nice shirt!
    Are those Flys, you're catching?
    Tell 'em what ever supplies you need, to get them from Matthews Long Range Supply.
    David 0306 on here.

18. Fotheringill

Fotheringill

Rods-

Of the three that I have, Ivy, Dewey and Tipton, I found the Ivy Stainless steel to be the best for me. Make 1000% sure you have a top shelf bore guide and the jag will never hit the bore.

19. Bamboolongbow

Bamboolongbow

+1 to the Ivy Rod and Lucas bore guide. I run a dewey too.