Borden Rifles full builds - experiences w/ after-sale service?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by hkfan45, Nov 3, 2014.

1. hkfan45

hkfan45

I am just about to select a gunsmith for my next full build. It's been an exhaustive process, but I think I have narrowed it down to Borden, based on my experience trying his action on a buddy's gun. It was by far (at least to me) the smoothest, tightest action I have ever felt. Looked to be flawless build quality, as well.

My question comes from a concern that a gunsmith stand behind his work 100%, even long after the sale. Since this is a full build at a cost of $4K+, I want to ensure that if I encounter a problem, it will be taken care promptly and easily (i.e. no back and forth and arguing over the issue - just taken care of).

I took a look at Borden's policies and they are a bit ambiguous. For example, does the warranty extend beyond 30 days?:

"Borden Rifles stands behind our products and we guarantee our products to be free of manufacturing issues or defects. Once a customer has taken delivery of a rifle, they have 30 days to inspect and test fire the rifle. If any manufacturing faults are found, they are to be reported to Borden Rifles prior to the end of the 30 days. Borden Rifles will work to repair or correct any manufacturing faults."

Does anyone have first hand positive/negative experiences with after-sale service?

2. Rustystud

Rustystud Site $$ Sponsor

I use Borden Actions in my customers builds. Jim and Joan Borden are great to deal with and makes a very high quality product. He gives you a realistic delivery dates and expects full payment when the work is complete. Neither myself or my customers have had any issues with Borden actions. I can't say that about others.
    Nat Lambeth

3. hkfan45

hkfan45

All I needed to know, thank you.

4. FJIM

FJIM

Very happy with mine. no problems. have had another barrel spun since, all just Great.
    Absolute perfection,fit,finish and function.
    PM sent.
    That action has a little over 3,000 rounds through it as you can see it's as new. I know 3k is not a lot but..it has functioned flawless.

Attached Files:

5. GSPV

GSPV A failure to plan is a plan for failure.

I've had extensive experience with Jim. Best customer service out there.

Call Jim and talk to him. If you treat him with the respect that every human being deserves, you will be taken care of. Period.

Regards,

20PPC, 300_whisper and nakneker like this.
  6. Cakes

Cakes

+++ to all the previous comments. Borden Rifles...Jim and Joan have always given me the best in personal and friendly customer service throughout the years. Jim's attention to detail is unmatched and I have never been disappointed with any aspect of their work or service. If you can catch Jim on the phone, he'll answer everything , he loves to talk shop. Eric in DL

Zero333 likes this.
  7. savagedasher

savagedasher

I have Several of his guns for sale. What are you going to build I have 4 un fired with extra barrels. Larry

8. Dos XX

Dos XX Bystanders Should Also Wear Safety Goggles Gold $$ Contributor

I think if you have one conversation with Jim, your uncertainty will be put to rest.

9. 21shooter

21shooter Site $$ Sponsor

Hi, I shoot f-class (hard on actions, bolts, rifles in general)I Use Borden
    exclusively. 3 years, NEVER a problem. Very smooth. Thanks,John
    PS hkfan45 ,still waiting for your phone call.

10. hkfan45

hkfan45

Thanks for the help. Sorry I didn't give you a call yet. I will see if I have some time later. Thanks for following up.

11. dbaird

dbaird Gold $$ Contributor

What Borden rifles do you have for sale? I might be interested in one.

12. rkittine

rkittine Gold $$ Contributor

Please also let me know what Borden rifles you have for sale as I am trying to decide on a full build at the moment also.

Thanks, Bob

13. savagedasher

savagedasher

The guns I have for sale are Nesika Bay actions They have Jewel br triggers Lee Six custom stocks Hart barrels with brakes 243 Ackley Improved. .269 necks.
    I have two in.300 Borden caribou 334 nk on a Stiller python Tpl-l Shehane Tracker stocks.
    I have a un fired 22br also. I will get the listed with pictures. Larry

whistler likes this.
  14. 3dogs

3dogs

I used one of his actions to set two 1000 yard bench rest records this year, yes, they are good and yes, his shop is great to deal with
    Jim

15. thekriebles

thekriebles Silver $$ Contributor

I'm a fan of both Jim and Joan Borden. I've never had any issues with product or service.

16. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Jim is great to deal with! 30 day warranty? I will guarantee you that if anything is defective you will know before 30 days unless you don't fire it.

17. Va Jim

Va Jim Gold $$ Contributor

I just used a Borden Action to win the US FTR National Championship. I have personally dealt with Jim Borden and he is very customer oriented. For me Borden Actions are the way to go.

James Crofts

Greg Taylor likes this.
  18. idaho elk hunter

idaho elk hunter

i bought a Borden tpe 6ppc used from someone other than him, he helped me by answering questions both, before and after i bought it. after shooting it allot, he worked with me picking out the proper barrel, scheduling and then installing the new barrel, exellent customer service, he answered allot of emails from me , i asked allot of questions. would i have him work on my rifle again? honestly noone touches that one , the one he made , but him. very happy with it. Larry :)

Zero333 likes this.
  19. GaryD

GaryD

I have had Jim make me two rifles and my brother had one made also. I had a set of rings he had for my latest build that I had problems with. I contacted him and he corrected the problem no questions asked. The plus side I am working near his shop and was able to drop in took him less than 10 min to correct it. Then was friendly enough to sit around and talk for an hour about shooting hunting etc. Jim and Joanne are the best and will be ordering number three from him soon.

Gary

Zero333 likes this.
  20. deadwooddick

deadwooddick

+1

Same here, as to my used tubegun, Jim & Joan know customer service is the key to success, he freely answered my questions, even suggested "the load" the former owner used (that shoots house afire). :D

When the time comes for a NEW rifle, guess where I'm going to get it.

Zero333 likes this.