Bolt timing and accuracy...

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by Bubba1, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Bubba1

Bubba1 Silver $$ Contributor

I am debating on having a Rem 700 action trued by LRI gunsmithing and I have a few questions about bolt timing and accuracy potential. To just true the action, they charge $175.00. To true and time the action, they want $290.00. If I understand correctly, timing only affects extraction issues. Does timing / TIG welding the bolt affect accuracy potential? My train of thought says to true the action and address extraction problems later on if they occur, unless having the bolt timed affects accuracy potential. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  2. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

I believe you would be way ahead with
    Alex Wheeler on this forum. I do believe in tig and timing, but use www.accu-tig.com Dan charges $40 to time and micro-tig your bolt handle. $10 shipping priority mail and $200 insurance.

PatMiles and NorCalMikie like this.
  3. Bubba1

Bubba1 Silver $$ Contributor

Butch, do you send him your action or just the bolt?

4. butchlambert

If you know how to measure properly or can have a buddy do it, it is not necessary to send the receiver.

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  5. X Ring Accuracy

X Ring Accuracy Site $$ Sponsor

You get a better finished product if you can send the action as well. Removes any questions or possible mistakes.

PatMiles and NorCalMikie like this.
  6. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

2 different kinds of timing, ignition/trigger timing and extraction/bolt handle timing. Usually guys are referring to extraction timing. Neither directly effect accuracy. But they both have secondary impacts on accuracy by making the rifle much smoother. Although ignition timing can effect accuracy if your fixing shortcomings when you do it. If your action needs the extraction timed, do it, there are a lot of guys that offer that service. If you dont know if it needs it or not, that means your not having any problems and you likely dont need it. Ignition timing is a totally different animal and is a lot of work to do properly on a Remington style action, and really is probably not worth the money on a Remington unless you just want the smoothest action you can get. Its more for serious competition rifles where a smooth bolt close is mandatory.

Concha and seb like this.
  7. tobnpr

tobnpr

It "shouldn't" take much to clean up the back side of the bolt lugs and their abutments in the receiver when truing- but those procedures can affect bolt timing if significant material is removed.

8. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

Timing is 99% extraction and does not affect accuracy.

AckleymanII likes this.
  9. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

...except for speed and upsetting the gun in the bags.

10. Alex Wheeler

Extraction timing is 100% extraction timing, ignition timing is 100% ignition timing. They are two separate things. And usually you don't even need the extraction cam, while you feel that cock on close every time.

Concha, seb, Mulligan and 1 other person like this.
  11. carlsbad

carlsbad Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep. Gold $$ Contributor

Alex, based on the title, I'm pretty sure he was talking about extraction timing.

12. Alex Wheeler

Yes, but most seem to have confusion about timing. Lumping it all together is why. Not being confrontational, its a simple subject as you know, thats often misunderstood.

13. swd

swd Silver $$ Contributor

Unfortunately most/many shooters have never felt an action properly timed for extraction and trigger hand off. It’s like the difference between a Corvette and a Ferrari. Both go fast but one is far more refined.

msinc, Brent B and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  14. DaveTooley

DaveTooley Silver $$ Contributor

My ZO6 is no slouch. Just saying

Danley, jmackey, butchlambert and 2 others like this.
  15. swd

swd Silver $$ Contributor

I had a nice Corvette at one time. Enjoyed it a lot and wish I still had it. But it wasn't a Ferrari. And I've driven a few of both and also got a ride in Lamborghini Countach #19 off the production line. That was fun!

16. eddief

eddief Gold $$ Contributor

As mentioned, you don't need perfect primary extraction timing....until you need it.

If you are a re-loader and like to push your loads hard, you would probably be well served to have the primary extraction timing corrected if it is bad.

17. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

I'm a corvette guy- not a bigger fan of the vette than me I assure you. Have yall heard they cant release the newest model for production due to the 1000hp twisting the aluminum frame? that's getting just about right.

painter and Dippy like this.
  18. Dippy

Dippy

I’ll keep with my American guns and Chevrolet’s, they can have they’re Mussolini sports cars... Hell my Grandfather didn’t go kickall they’re a** in WW2 for me to fancy they’re “sports” cars...

Wheeler Accuracy has some videos on you tube explaining extraction timing, very helpful. I recently sent a R700 barreled action to LRI to have the primary extraction timed and tig welded, you couldn’t hardly pull the bolt back with factory ammo after firing, let alone warm handloads. They fixed it right up.

Dgd6mm likes this.
  19. butchlambert

Yup, I liked my Mitsubishi Lancer, but after 280,000 miles I was given a 2009 Toyota Corolla. It ain't a Porsche, but it gets me around.

Dgd6mm likes this.
  20. X Ring Accuracy

X Ring Accuracy Site $$ Sponsor

Don't forget the 'ol trusty Yugo LOL

Dippy likes this.