Bolt stuck in closed position

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by Jalen, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Jalen

Jalen Silver $$ Contributor

I have a RPR 6.5CM with aftermarket PRS stock, aftermarket seeking precision ambidextrous safety and a aftermarket LRI bolt shroud. Rifle functioned properly before (500 rounds down the tube) brought it out to shoot with my buddy today first shot of the day the bolt is stuck closed. It will raise straight up but will not move rearward. Bolt doesn't feel right when raised either. Using Factory Nosler 140BT ammo. Never showed any pressure signs before with that factory ammo and that's what I've been shooting a majority of the time (400 rounds). Any ideas? Wondering if the shroud or bolt itself got spun somehow? Nearest gunsmith is 90 minutes away.

Attached Files:

2. Jhayesvw

Jhayesvw

The shroud doesn’t look spun. The flat on the bolt looks to be in the right place. I just checked mine to be sure.

I’d smack it once to the back to see if it moves.

3. Jhayesvw

Jhayesvw

What trigger do you have? I see you have a Seekins safety. There were some mating issues between the Timney trigger and Seekins safety I think. Maybe it’s binding?

4. Jalen

Jalen Silver $$ Contributor

That could be it, I do remember it going together a bit hard. I used a rubber mallet and a couple moderate taps it came free. It's never acted like this before and I put that safety on it once I got it. Did Seekins ever put out a fix for the safety mating issue?

5. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

First of all, I don't own one, but looking at the gap between the front of the root of the bolt handle and where the parting line between the bolt handle are relative to the front of the bolt handle cut in the receiver, comparing them with the bolt down and all the way up, it looks like you may not have much if any extraction cam available to pull the case to the rear at the top of the handle stroke, but angle of view can be deceiving. You might try putting a cleaning rod down the barrel (carefully) and with the bolt held fully open and pulling to the rear, tap the rod handle with something....but not too hard, or you will damage it.