Bolt lube?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by TrxR, Jul 6, 2019.

1. divingin

divingin

Try some automatic transmission fluid. Just about any kind of non-congealing lubricant can be used to lube the raceways.

Grease on the pressure points (lugs, extraction cam.)

2. group therapy

group therapy Gold $$ Contributor

Pm sent

3. hunter67

hunter67

Mobile 1 synthetic and be done

Mark W likes this.
  4. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Site $$ Sponsor

Heybro, what is that little bump on the bolt on a Remington called? The groove that the bolt pops in and out of when you throw the bolt. Getting some grease in that thing really smooths it out.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  5. Papa Charlie

Papa Charlie Gold $$ Contributor

I have been using blue marine trailer axle grease for years. Comes in a small tube, good for high pressure and doesn't wear off.
    For general lube, I use CLP Cleaner Lubricant spray.

6. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Anti bind rail

7. Mark W

Mark W Gold $$ Contributor

That’s what I’ve been doing lately.

8. Dusty Stevens

I used to run it on auto bolts but it coats my glasses with a film where the hobo oil doesnt

Mark W likes this.
  9. urbanrifleman

urbanrifleman Site $$ Sponsor

I use Lubriplate and very little of it

10. mauser284

mauser284

Any EP grease is fine. If you want it to stay put than a bentonite aka clay based thickner is a good way to go. Never use a betonite grease for roller bearings, needle bearings or tapered bearings. It is perfect though for any sliding shearing surfaces that you want to protect and that wash/out is a concern and low speed heavy load applications. Picking an EP additive based on temp and load is a must for the best possible fit to application.

11. Tim s

Tim s

For bolt bodies, any oil ever used at some point thickens, congeales, migrates, etc.
    Get some Anschutz Keramic(ceramic). It’s cheap...it works. It is a ceramic liquid that penetrates action/bolt, leaves zero residue and works better than anything I have ever tried, one application lasts a month or more, you cannot believe how it slicks up a bolt.

12. Macropod

Macropod

I've seen some ceramic engine oil additives but I sort feel like you would be pouring finely ground sand into your engine. I wonder how that company marketing that stuff is going?

13. mauser284

mauser284

No tribologist would ever recommend any ceramic in liquid non-sense. Ceramic coating that are applied to alloys and then cured with heat or are combined with various alloys in a form of electro-plating are ok. Exactly what properties of ceramics make for good lubricity in a lubricating liquid? Stay away from anything with ceramics in it in an oil suspension no matter the source. You will not see any fully formulated oil for aviation or automotive purposes from any credible refiner or blender of oils for aviation, automotive, mining, industrial manufacturing or anything! You will not see Lubrizol, Ornite, Vanderbuilt , Exxon/Mobil selling any additive system or products with it. This sort of stuff is right up their with chlorinated paraffin based additives! If anyone doubts me send an email off to those companies asking why they do not offer "nano ceramics" in their additive systems or formulated oils. Send them out to all the company's that sell lubricants automotive, aviation, mining, and industry! This stuff is right up their with Teflon Toilet Bowel Cleaner.

14. Macropod

Macropod

I suspect they use hexagon boron nitride as the ceramic component (how that performs in suspension in oil I have no idea). Most of these products fall into the category of "snake oil" IMHO.

15. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

What do you recommend for bolt lube ?

16. Dusty Stevens

This thread isnt near old enough for that!

17. Tim s

Tim s

For the “rocket scientists” waxing elequant about what this is not I’d suggest you view some of the information about ceramic treatments for auto finishes these days..... same church, different pews. This is molecular ceramic that penetrates/bonds into metal.
    Me, I’ll go with those low grade engineers at Anschutz.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    daleboy likes this.
  18. Shooter13

Shooter13 Gold $$ Contributor

I received my gun back from Ronnie Long and the bolt had a copper colored grease on it that is very slick, he didn't remember what it was called, does anyone know what it is? He said Bat Machine uses it.
    Thanks,

19. Dusty Stevens

Its copper anti sieze

Shooter13 likes this.
  20. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold $$ Contributor

Same.

And some of that stuff milked from rail yard vagrants

Dusty Stevens likes this.