Bolt lube?

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by TrxR, Jul 6, 2019.

1. TrxR

TrxR

What part of the bolt body do you all lube? also what do you use?

I ve been told to lightly grease the back side of the recoil lugs with Lucas red n tacky but what else should i lube?

Any recommendations for lube that is easy to find as say a auto part store would be even better.

2. Drolds72

Drolds72 Gold $$ Contributor

I use grease on back of the lugs, and bolt-rite oil on the body of the bolt. Bolt circumference right behind the lugs and just in front of the bolt handle. Runs noticeably smoother with the oil on..

dogdude likes this.
  3. Raythemanroe

Raythemanroe Bullet Whisperer Silver $$ Contributor

Extraction cam (back of receiver), lugs, cocking cam and dab some olive oil on the bolt body (no sh!t)..

Ray

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    dogdude and 6MMsteve like this.
  4. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Grease on the extraction cam surface and behind the lugs. Hobo oil on the body. Even the gravel blasted remingtons run smooth as silk.

dogdude likes this.
  5. TrxR

TrxR

I would like to try hobo oil but not cost effective in canada due to shipping

Would synthetic motor oil be a bad idea?

6. 6MMsteve

6MMsteve Gold $$ Contributor

extract cam, back of lugs, or I take a bent plastic tool and dab it on the abuts and let the lug smear it across...but I keep my rec lug area clean and greased.... if that makes sense..

7. T-shooter

T-shooter

Use it everywhere metal contacts metal.

Ken and dave@aDave like this.
  8. Ken

Ken Gold $$ Contributor

I use dry case lube on the whole bolt. Makes it smooth. I also use good gun grease on metal to metal points.

9. damoncali

damoncali Gold $$ Contributor

+1 on the grease on lugs/cams and oil on the bolt body. I use moly grease and motor oil, but I haven’t tried much else. It seems to do the job.

dogdude likes this.
  10. Jackal2016

Jackal2016

Yeah it's a PITA to get many things up to Canukistan from the US due to various reasons, ...ITAR, $ Rate Exchange, Duties, etc.
    I feel your pain there.
    I have used a smear of Rem Oil on my bolts, mostly just for a light rust protection really, and a wee dab of grease behind the bolt lugs and bolt extraction cams.

11. jepp2

jepp2 Gold $$ Contributor

I always found this video useful. Don't forget to pull the trigger when you close the bolt to avoid wiping the grease off the lugs.

dogdude, Evan and Ccrider like this.
  12. Dusty Stevens

ttfreestyle likes this.
  13. 1shot

1shot

This is what I use also.

Lloyd

14. Uthink Uknow

Uthink Uknow Gold $$ Contributor

Some guys just love to bring up old threads Dusty.

Dusty Stevens likes this.
  15. PRR1957

PRR1957

I have used Shooter Choice gun grease for years on my bolt lugs. It’s a red high pressure engine assembly grease. As the old Brilcream add said, ”A dab will do yah”.

On the the subject of oiling triggers. Remington factory 700/Model 7 triggers have a small hole on the side of the trigger housing that in guns owner manual shows that is where it supposed to be oiled, and of course Remington says to use Remoil.

T-shooter likes this.
  16. group therapy

group therapy Gold $$ Contributor

hobo oil on the bolt body( im totally unbiased here;)) and rig +p stainless grease on the lugs and extraction cam. thats just me personally though:cool:

17. Dusty Stevens

Where you get that hobo oil in a bigger bottle?

18. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

I like a very light film of "Dan Oil"...50/50 Royal Purple synthetic oil and Marvel Mystery oil . Very slick stuff . Hi pressure grease on the lugs.

19. rogn

rogn Silver $$ Contributor

Shooters Choice grease works well on lugs , extraction cam, cocking cam, on observed body contact points. Other good greases are Superlube w/ PTFE, the Lucas sticky. Oils like Mobil 1 are amazing and for those with green outlooks, castor oil is an exceptional lubricant, smell not withstanding.
    Super lube can be found at Amazon or NAPA stores, Lucas and Mobil 1 at Wally's, Shooters choice at most LGS's, castor oil, well we know. Incidentally castor oil was once the major lubricant in 2 stroke motorcycles, especially racing versions, interesting nostalgic aromas from racetracks.

20. Iowa Fox

Iowa Fox Silver $$ Contributor

Bigger bottle?? I'll be lucky to use 1/4 of the bottle at my age. I think I'm gonna try some cherry -balmz on the bolt lugs, got their free sample for AR's and really like it.