Bolt Closure.

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by onelastshot, Sep 10, 2017.

1. onelastshot

onelastshot Gold $$ Contributor

Reloading some 270WSM, just finished and now the bolt doesn't close???? Suggestions?

2. Shynloco

Shynloco You can lead a horse to water, but ........ Silver $$ Contributor

Can you tell us what you've ruled out thus far? I mean have you checked to see if the casing UNLOADED will allow you to close the bolt? I'm just trying to narrow down your possible problems so you need to tell us what possible issues you've ruled out, if any??? Thx.

Alex

3. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

use a sharpie to mark the cartridge, including bullet, and use it to see where the contact points are as it is chambered. jd

4. onelastshot

I bumped the shoulder back a bit and seated the bullets more: the chamber is very tight (custom build) and bullets cannot be seated long at all. At least it works now!

5. onelastshot

Somewhat frustrated with my 270WSM. It's a custom build and the tolerances are so tight it's difficult to reload without getting very tight fitting cartridges. The bolt is so tight I had to use a hammer to "tap" the bolt open a few times. Adding insult to injury, I was "tapping the bolt handle to open the chamber and remove the cartridge and the bolt handle came off the bolt!

I don't know if anyone has had experience with JB weld but I thought of using that to reattach the bolt handle to the bolt. If anyone has any experience with using JB weld and could offer suggestions regarding the use of it to reattach the bolt handle it would be appreciated. Very frustrated, I've never had bolt issues like this with any rifle before. I have no idea why the cartridges are so tight. I had to re-seat bullets below posted maximums to get the bolt to close. Any suggestions appreciated.

6. Dans40X

Dans40X Welder

The action of your custom built 270WSM is??

Epoxy isn't an option.
    Some attempt silver brazing & screwing.......some don't!

jdh47 and Toms like this.
  7. Clancy

Clancy

Not sure if you're serious

wholman, ireload2 and M-61 like this.
  8. BoydAllen

BoydAllen Gold $$ Contributor

Having tight clearances should not cause bolt opening problems. Do you have the problem with sized cases?

9. Hal

Hal

Sometimes when seating the bullet, if you don't have the die backed off far enough, you'll put a light crimp on the bullet. This will cause a slight bulge where the bottom of the shoulder and the side of the case meet.

Hal

Zero333 likes this.
  10. onelastshot

I'm dead serious, I have no idea as to what the best option I have. Something tells me I need to take the rifle and hand it off to a gunsmith.

11. spaniel

spaniel

"below posted maximums"? Well, first, if that's the max then it's not a surprise to be below that. And second, you should never reload without knowing the dimensions of your own chamber. There are multiple simple methods to determine where the bullet hits the lands in YOUR rifle and start 0.020" back from that.

Just as with powder charges, it can be dangerous to use numbers which are not specific to your individual rifle. The first thing I do with a new rifle I am reloading for is seat a bullet long and coat the ogive in black Sharpie. Then I try to chamber, and when it doesn't, I push the bullet back a few thousandths and renew the Sharpie covering. I do this until the bolt just closes and take a measurement. This can still be a bit in the lands, so I carefully go back a bit more until the Sharpie is not disturbed. I take the last measurement where the lands touched, move the bullet back 0.020", and start load development with a powder ladder starting at the starting charge weight in the book and working my way up.

12. onelastshot

Empty sized cases were no problem, It reared it's ugly head when I loaded some 150 grain Nosler partitions.

13. BoydAllen

BoydAllen Gold $$ Contributor

Have you fired any rounds in the rifle? How do your loaded necks compared to your fired necks as far as diameter? Also, how have you determined your seating depth. Could it be a simple case of bullets seated too long?

14. Shynloco

Onelastshot,
    I'll throw this out for you to consider. I noted TWO things when I had a customized (tight) chamber cut on my .308BR. The first was that the new Lapua Brass I was trying to fire form was very tight and I couldn't close the bolt. I overcame that issue when I bought a Small Base Die which reduced the casing head by .001 and all was now good.

The SECOND issue was Seating Depth as I'd become accustomed to a JUMP the previous chamber had and now with the new custom chamber, no jump at all and jam was almost impossible to avoid. So my message is, DO NOT rely on the information you may be trying to use that existed in a previous chamber. Custom chambers are tight for a reason...brass stays more uniform and doesn't expand as much (last longer and the "bump" if necessary isn't as much upon resizing) as in a SAAMI chamber. The new chamber provides (or may provide) LESS clearance between the casing walls and the chamber wall it expands to upon firing. Try and not become frustrated (been there done that) and think about what you are doing in terms of what is the potential the issue. If need be, measure or have someone measure your chamber so you can better understand the sizing of the chamber and how much it may differ from what you previously had. Just food for thought. Custom chambers may be tight, but using a hammer to open the bolt is ridiculous to say the least (not being critical that you did - just an indication you are way off from what you chamber allows for). Good luck and keep the faith.

Alex

wholman and Zero333 like this.
  15. onelastshot

I'm going to have someone measure the chamber for me. Right now, I'm way over my head and have no idea as to how to cure this problem. I had no idea a chamber could be this tight and unforgiving.

Rsadams likes this.
  16. spaniel

spaniel

When dealing with contained explosions right next to your face, there is no shame to acknowledging your limitations and calling in those who know how to troubleshoot. Probably a smart move.

davecb, Clancy, ED3 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Clancy

Clancy

If you run a piece of sized brass through your seater WITHOUT a bullet, will that piece chamber?

I asked if you were serious because you said you beat the bolt open on a "custom" rifle and broke the handle- then asked if you could JB weld it back on- a legit question.

Step back and go see a good smith.

timeout likes this.
  18. Shynloco

AMEN! KUDO to onelastshot for realizing he may be in uncharted territory! Ask or seek out help whenever needed. Many of us got exactly that in years past (and still continue to do so) as nobody ever waiver a wand over our heads so that we suddenly had the info to correct our own reloading issues. Others, some from this very blog, have helped me over the years whether in person, by email exchange or direct telephone conversation. But there is no problem that cannot be overcome or cured once the troubling issue is identified. And I look at these types of things as nothing more than a learning experience that will open your mind to trigger other ideas of potentially related issue in the future. Perseverance and helping each other is what makes this sport so much fun. That of course in addition to leaving the range on a given day with a happy face. THIS STUFF AIN'T ROCKET SCIENCE. Just sometimes challenging fun to reach a goal we seek and have a good time shooting what we load. Hang in there and have fun as you learn along with the rest of us.

Alex

19. onelastshot

You're right, what I did was a really stupid thing. I simply got to the point where I wasn't rational and tried an irrational approach to fix something I had no idea as to what I was doing. I'm going to take a step back, call a good gun smith and accept the fact that I used an irrational approach to something that should have been handled in a more rational approach.

20. Clancy

Clancy

Good thinking man, put it away, go have some beers and fight this battle tomorrow...