Bolt Action Pistol Build

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by bobcat1506, Feb 7, 2016.

1. bobcat1506

bobcat1506 Silver $$ Contributor

This is more of a legal question than anything else. I have been wondering if it is legal to assemble a bolt action pistol using a bolt action receiver, a MDT LSS chassis, and a 16.5 inch barrel. My guess is that there may be some challenge because the action was originally sold as a "rifle".

2. Ggmac

Ggmac

No rifle can be made into a pistol , but is yours going to be a pistol ? It's going to have a 16.5 in barrel ? It must have a min over all length , but off hand I can't remember how long that is . There use to be a few no butt stocked rifles with 16"+ barrels marketed as wrist rifles . They didn't last long , either way I think getting in such a gray area is asking for agrivation . It would require a letter from ATFE carried to educate or prove to the LEO that's uninformed .
    Better safe than sorry , you could always get a sbr tax stamp
    The Brits use to have a bolt pistol on a mauser called the Shield , awesome 308 pistol

3. tmwinds

tmwinds Gold $$ Contributor

A rifle must have a minimum barrel length of 16 inches and a minimum over all length of 26 inches. Otherwise it is defined by the ATFE as a short barrel rifle and will require a $200 tax stamp.

4. DOGCAPPER

DOGCAPPER

Rifle to pistol can be legal. Barrel needs to be 16 inches +.. Overall length needs to be 23?? the exact length escapes me now.But if the two lengths are met it was legal back in the last century.
    This was before rule by excutive decree became popular.

5. Ggmac

Ggmac

Tmwinds is correct its 26" over all length . They may have regulations concerning pistol grips in some states , counties if no butt stock is equipped .

6. Ggmac

Ggmac

Remember most LEOs don't know fed law , it can get sticky very fast . Some don't even know how to properly measure a barrel , I've seen a guys rifle confiscated because the officer measured the barrel from receiver ring to muzzle . Missing almost 3/4 " which made his barrel less than 16" . It cost him a lot to get it back and a long time .

7. Dans40X

Dans40X Welder

P.M. sent w/ facts & not internet fiction.

8. Ggmac

Ggmac

Yes I am going from memory , which is not current or much good anymore , what were we talking about again ?
    No matter what you decide or even following fed law remember what I said in the previous post

9. savagedasher

savagedasher

How the action is sold new determins what it can be use for TC action can be both . With Savage and Remington Both can be made a rifle . But with the rifle action must have the longer barrel. Larry

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  10. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Pistols can be made into rifles but not the other way around. If a pistol is made into a rifle it must have the correct barrel length and proper stock i.e. You cant put a buttstock on a glock and be legal. A reciever must be originally marked as a pistol and offered for sale that way- xp 100 and strikers come to mind. If it ever had a buttstock on it you cant make it a pistol.

11. Dans40X

Dans40X Welder

More internet BS!

A 700 rifle action can be registered w/ BATF to be a handgun w/ any length Bbl you desire.
    I crossed the bridge years ago!
    A Rem XP-100/XP-100R(repeater),HS Precision 1000 or Salvage Stryker that was manufactured & transfered as a handgun makes life simple.

Converting a full rock & roll to semi auto is not going to happen in any century!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  12. savagedasher

savagedasher

Till the paper work get back it is still a rifle. Larry

13. Dans40X

Dans40X Welder

salvagedasher-
    REALLY!
    I would have never guessed if you hadn't posted the above comment.

14. savagedasher

savagedasher

Thompson actions. Are sold as pistols actions and they can be a rifle or a pistol . Larry

15. 284driver

284driver

Since we're on the subject

Attached Files:

sawcarver likes this.
  16. Dans40X

Dans40X Welder

284driver-
    Your 700 short action specialty handgun seems to have silenced the naysayers!

284driver likes this.
  17. 284driver

284driver

Lol.it silences the people at the range too.

18. savagedasher

savagedasher

My savage actions I can't make a pistol out of them . I can put a pistol stock but the barrel length is limited. I think 16.5 is as short as it can be. That is from the bolt face. Larry

19. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

If you take a model 700 and make a pistol on it- good on you! Dont bring it around me. I go thru this a lot with AOW and sbr rifles. Its all in how it was first documented and a model 700 isnt a pistol.

20. savagedasher

savagedasher

I never have seen a 700 action pistol. But many long barrel handguns. Larry