Blue Loctite is your freind people.

Discussion in 'Small Stuff--22s, 20s, and 17s' started by velocette, Sep 3, 2017.

1. velocette

velocette

Yes, I know better. I put a new scope on my .222, a 6 ~ 18 Meopta.
    I did not loctite the two mount bolts or the six mount screws, assuming I would
    need adjustment at the range for eye relief. They were properly torqued with a torque wrench. Well, I can tell you it does not take too many rounds fired to have essentially ALL the fasteners loosen up. No adjustment was needed for eye relief but my group sizes began to get larger & I figured I was just tired. NOPE. When I got home & began cleaning the rifle & prepared to put on the loctite, I found all the screws & mount bolts varying degrees of loose. especially the two main mount bolts.
    Maybe I was not so tired after all.

mac86951 likes this.
  2. Clancy

Clancy

Haha yes sir.

I degrease the screws with brake cleaner, add RED loctite (hehe) and torque to spec.

I have also used blue, and actually used JB weld on the mount on my AR. Yes, it comes loose just fine if you hit the heads with a cigarette torch lighter.

But hey, now you know, and at least it ain't the gun.

3. jepp2

jepp2 Silver $$ Contributor

I guess I'm just lucky. I never use any thread locker on my scope mounts and have never had one loosen with use. And I shoot 12K rounds annually of centerfire rifle (20 and 22 cal). I keep expecting it. I only torque to 75% of the maximum value.

PAshooter20BR and C.E.Smith043 like this.
  4. carlsbad

carlsbad Details matter. Silver $$ Contributor

Purple is a better choice for small screws that you may want to loosen in the future. But I don't generally use it on these mounting screws. --Jerry

'Freak, C.E.Smith043 and mac86951 like this.
  5. mac86951

mac86951 I prefer my targets level and unmoving

222ms (purple) for smaller hardware is ideal.
    Blue if applied per loctite (four threads for complete circumference) can be near to loctite red and need heat on the small ones.

-Mac

C.E.Smith043 likes this.
  6. jds holler

jds holler Gold $$ Contributor

I can't say I've had much problem with screws coming loose even without any thread locker, but I do use the blue nowadays. I like the way screws torque with it, and it seems to prevent rusting threads also. jd

gambleone likes this.
  7. nmkid

nmkid Silver $$ Contributor

For more years then I can count I've used 'blue' on the base screws and plain old nail polish on the ring screws. Never had a problem.

8. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

I even use blue on the threads of suppressor adaptors. There is a lot of heat there but it still holds them in place when removing suppressors that are of really tight.

9. Rsadams

Rsadams

Try the purple... It can be disassembled without heat and useing basic handtools... Great for small screws..

10. carlsbad

carlsbad Details matter. Silver $$ Contributor

Loctite is the world expert in this field. They developed the purple for a reason. I discovered it decades ago as a triathlete. they sold it in bicycle shops to lock spoke nipples in place. --Jerry

'Freak likes this.
  11. savagedasher

savagedasher Gold $$ Contributor

Used the product that it is designed to do .
    For years we nail polish .
    Now we use nail polish to stop red bugs from getting air . Larry

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
    mac86951 likes this.
  12. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

Funny, but we always called them chiggers in north and central AL. I have a cousin from only a little farther south in AL and the first time I called them chiggers he had no idea what I was talking about. After describing them he politely told me they were red bugs. I call them tiny SOBs from HELL!
    A little nail polish can be a great relief though.

savagedasher likes this.
  13. NCVarhtr

NCVarhtr Gold $$ Contributor

I have a couple of scopes that recommend only 20 lbs of torque on the scope screws. That seems to be such a small amount that I am concerned that the scope can be very easily "bumped" off. I think loctite
    becomes very important in a case like this . Have you guys had any experience with scopes using such a small amount of torque on your scope rings?

14. Clancy

Clancy

I recently learned that the chigger (redbug) is almost always gone once the bite begins to bother you. The nail polish doesn't suffocate it. I guess this time momma was wrong.....

wholman likes this.
  15. Clancy

Clancy

Pretty much all the instructions I've read will quote somewhere in that neighborhood.

16. savagedasher

savagedasher Gold $$ Contributor

Chiggers don't bite they attach their self to a hair follicle or skin cell . Or they do in Florida . Larry

Rsadams likes this.
  17. MrBottleneck

MrBottleneck Silver $$ Contributor

If you dont have one purchase the Wheeler Fat Wrench.
    Never install my ring screws with Loctite as I have never had one/any loosen up. My last Leupold installed with Burris XTR Ex. tactical rings where set at 20lbs.
    The only time I will use Loctite is for the scope base mounting screws and even then I use light duty Loctite intended for small fasteners.

Steve morgan likes this.
  18. Clancy

Clancy

Really, this topic always just baffles the snot out of me. Why not just do it? It's not expensive, time consuming or difficult.

savagedasher likes this.
  19. Rsadams

Rsadams

Yup it works great and you don't need heat to disassemble your project later... As far as chiggers and nail polish .. Keep in mind and its easly looked up becouse after having some not to long ago I did research on them..

They don't go under the skin , They inject a straw like device through the skin and suck out one drop of blood basically... What drives you insane itching is that straw thats still in there.. There is very little you can actually do , but if something helps do it...

20. NCVarhtr

NCVarhtr Gold $$ Contributor

I do have a Wheeler Fat wrench and I always use it when installing my scope bases and rings. I still feel like 20 lbs of torque is a very small amount to hold the scope secure and firm under the recoil of a rifle..