blue box/brown box, what's the difference ?

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by barber, Dec 28, 2012.

1. barber

barber Site $$ Contributor

About 8 years ago I shot a 6br, and want to start doing it again. What's the difference between the blue or brown box brass?

6br Norma, .272" neck chamber.

Thanks, Barber

2. areaone

areaone Site $$ Contributor

Neck thickness of the brass, Older brown(GOLD) box has thicker neck than the blue box. Approx .002 difference in thickness. Older for .272 neck, Blue Box .2704 neck,

3. barber

barber Site $$ Contributor

gotcha...

thanks, Barber

4. GSPV

GSPV Site $$ Contributor

For those of us with 6BRs with 272 necks, the difference is about $50 per box of 100. :'(

5. rmist

rmist Site $$ Contributor

Will a .271" neck work with the blue box ?

6. savagedasher

savagedasher Site $$ Contributor

Yes .271 will be fine with blue box. Good Shooting Larry

7. rmist

rmist Site $$ Contributor

Thanx Larry !!
    Dave

8. KevinThomas

KevinThomas

Barber,

Actually, it's not that simple. The change is well under .002", more like .0015", well under .001" per side.
    To be state it more accurately, there wasn't really a "change" in the specs, as the spec dimensions of the brass didn't change at all. We merely had to start running them closer to the center of the tolerance range, as opposed to the high end of the range which we had before. The change in neck thickness was required for CIP compliance, and not an option for us. Unfortunately, this came about at the same time as we were switching to the newer packaging. In otherwords, there isn't a clear delineation between the neck thicknesses of those cases found in cardboard vs. plastic boxes. It just depends on what they had on hand for packaging at the time, until the stocks of cardboard boxes ran out. Bottom line is, whichever box they come in, measure first and turn as required.

9. johara1

johara1 Site $$ Contributor

I found the neck thickness to be less than .001 per side as stated above. I have some running .0117 and they are way shorter 1.555 is the average now. Flash holes are over the place in size.The old stuff ran around 1.570 average in length flash holes were more uniform and the neck wall was .0125- .013......... jim

10. areaone

areaone Site $$ Contributor

I have found the new Norma Brass to be very close in neck thicknes to the OLD lapua brass. I Have both 272 and 2704 chambers, I have used both brass in the 272 chamber. Seems to be no noticeable problem, except my loaded round with blue box are .2675, Plenty of room in that 272 chamber ;)