Blemished projectiles

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by deadidarren, Feb 13, 2019.

1. deadidarren

deadidarren

Gday all I just bought 800 Berger pills and they have what appears to be polishing compound on them that wasn't washed of properly will these damage a barrel the reason I ask is if you run your fingernail across the blemish it feels gritty...

Cheers D

20190213_192432-600x800.jpg
    20190213_192501-600x1066.jpg

2. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

I believe Berger uses chemicals to clean and that is just discoloration of the copper. Matt

3. ebb

ebb

Run them in the tumbler and they will be super clean.

4. deadidarren

deadidarren

Only have walnut media.....with the red stuff on it from Lyman is that ok to use as my corncob stuff is just about black :eek:

Cheers

5. damoncali

damoncali Gold $$ Contributor

Just shoot them. Your barrel will be fine.

deadidarren likes this.
  6. JSH

JSH

Sounds like you are past due for new media any way. Do your brass and dies a favor get some new media.
    There is a lot, or I should say can be a lot more pressure and friction in a die than people think. Your dies are as important as your barrel.

Brad kaisner likes this.
  7. deadidarren

deadidarren

Yes I know the media is junk but I never worried about getting more cob media as I have a jug of the walnut that and I made a pin tumbler that does 400+ 7mm mag cases at a time ;)

8. HomeSlice

HomeSlice Silver $$ Contributor

Where does Berger sell their factory seconds?

9. Bill K

Bill K Silver $$ Contributor

That will work, if you want to take off the blemish. But why bother, just shoot them, they will be fine as is.

10. deadidarren

deadidarren

The reason I posted is when you run your fingernail over it it is rough and gritty ..........
    And as for 2nds Australia has always been the dumping ground for the US gun market .

11. ebb

ebb

I don't think it matters what media you use just check and see if they are clean after an hour don't let them run forever. If you think they are gritty clean them. Maybe it was a long boat ride on a leaky boat. I don't think Berger sells junk to anybody.

GotRDid and BenPerfected like this.
  12. K22

K22

I've encounter blemished bullets from Nosler .224 caliber, 50 grain (not purchased as factory seconds). They had a blacken appearance. They shot fine and I could detect no lack of performance.

13. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

You ordered fire-lapping bullets by mistake? ;)

If you contact Berger and send them a photo, they may want to send you free replacements. Those may be harmless but certainly don't meet their QC standard.
    -

Dgd6mm, dickn52 and Bc'z like this.
  14. dickn52

dickn52 Gold $$ Contributor

Do as they suggest. IF you can feel it, then so can your barrel. Polish them rascals.

15. deadidarren

deadidarren

It would nice but I'm in Australia I don't think they would worry about me in such a small market .

16. deadidarren

deadidarren

I just sent an email so now the wait begins

Cheers D

17. ebb

ebb

Enough with the "poor pitty me" . Raise hell with them and insist on what you paid for. We have to do it here too.

Bc'z likes this.
  18. 243Lapua

243Lapua Gold $$ Contributor

Just shoot them. Wipe them down. Sometimes they get stained with solvent. I would use them as sighters

19. barefooter56

barefooter56

Darren,
    This is caused by the soap we are required to use to meet EPA regulations to remove the lube. In rare cases the bullets don't get completely dry after being rinsed and a stain is formed. Soak the bullets in a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water for about 15 minutes , rinse, wipe and dry and they should be gone. This is a cosmetic issue only. Our apologies for this. Also we do not sell factory seconds of any of our bullets. Bullets shipped overseas are the same as we ship in the USA.

snert, muleystalker, JimSC and 5 others like this.
  20. BenPerfected

BenPerfected Gold $$ Contributor

......some bitch about good wine, cold beer and hot women. It today’s bullet market, even getting good bullets is a chore.
    Ben