Bix vs Jewel

Discussion in '6BR, 6BR Improved & Wildcats' started by WIB3, Aug 30, 2019.

1. mikeeg02

mikeeg02 Michael Glantz Gold $$ Contributor

I've just been using jewels, but I dont know any better. They seem to be fine in my kelbly grizzly actions. Though I just ordered a new trigger to try, so well see if it does anything for me.

2. Greyfox

Greyfox Gold $$ Contributor

I don't own stock in B&A, so I have no dog in the fight. But anything mechanical will eventually have problems. I have 5 B&A's and have zero problems with any of them. Granted, I have not used them as long as I did Jewells. However, I have had many issues with Jewells over the years and the B&As have eliminated at least some of those. I once broke a Jewell by blanking a primer, called Jewell and they said they would send me the part. When I received it, it wouldn't fit and when I called they told me it would have to be hand fitted and that I would need to mail it to them. I asked why they didn't tell me that in the first place. Answer "you didn't ask".

Rick

Shooter13, WyleWD and dogdude like this.
  3. Chuckhunter

Chuckhunter Silver $$ Contributor

Mike if you ordered a Bix, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I probably won't make another shoot at Williamsport this year due to a very ill Mother-in-Law but next year you are certainly welcome to sit down behind my rifle and try my bix to make a comparison.

4. mikeeg02

Well I certainly hope things get better for you guys. That's always a tough place to be. Gotta put family first.

I ordered a different brand though. ;)

Look forward to seeing you soon!

Chuckhunter likes this.
  5. Raythemanroe

Raythemanroe Bullet Whisperer Silver $$ Contributor

Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law Chuck:(

I have played with Bix and have zero doubt they are better. I was going to try one on my new rifle but didn't, maybe next time.. Maybe I will order one and a trigger hanger and keep this one for a back up..

Ray

Chuckhunter and dogdude like this.
  6. WyleWD

WyleWD Gold $$ Contributor

+1 I have had two similar instances with their service. Their lack of documentation and cute remarks don't make any brownie points with me. either Rick. JME WD

muleystalker and Greyfox like this.
  7. Chuckhunter

Chuckhunter Silver $$ Contributor

Thanks Ray, when my new gun is put together, the offer stands as well for you. You are more than welcome to sit down behind it and snap away. :)

Raythemanroe likes this.
  8. johara1

johara1

Mike, if you can handle using a left hand gun you are welcome to shoot mine. I will be at Reade for the next and the last shoot..... jim

mikeeg02 and Raythemanroe like this.
  9. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

I can not make a Jewell as good as I can make a Bix. Pull weight is one thing, but I am more concerned with drag on the striker.

Shooter13, Ccrider and Mulligan like this.
  10. mikeeg02

I appreciate that. I'm sure I'll be there. Look forward to seeing you there.

11. johara1

johara1

Mike, But you gotta wear shoes...... LMAO.... jim

1BAD284 and dmoran like this.
  12. mikeeg02

Lol I'm not sure I can make that change. I only want to change one thing at a time :p

1BAD284 and dmoran like this.
  13. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

Come out here next March....I'll bet money you'll want shoes!

Tom

14. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

Now back to the thread. Recently I traveled across the country and when I went to test loads I kept getting a vertical spitter. I thought I was hearing firing pin impact, which is the first sign before they actually "stick" and give the result Michael gave an example of above. Anyway, I shot my other gun, and it did just fine enough for me. Now home, I tore into it and sure enough it was sticky/clicky pressing it down with the trigger held back. I had Alex investigate what could be happening, and try to find a solution. Well before our conversation was over he felt he had the cause and solution. Next day he sent me up a couple used bix that he fixed up. Today I go out and shoot my home load (30.86) vs the best I got it at harry Jones (30.62) with the "tuned" trigger. And low and behold the dumb thing does what it's supposed to do!

Tom 20190902_113635-600x800.jpg 20190902_113641-600x800.jpg

15. mikeeg02

Looks like that bix in the orange gun cost you a couple group dollars. ;) Not sure I want to shoot against that gun now!

dmoran likes this.
  16. greisdor

greisdor Gold $$ Contributor

So a Bix needs to be tuned as well ? Well great shooting Tom at least it showed up on paper.....

dmoran likes this.
  17. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

It did, and the funny thing is it was not the greatest conditions this morning. I sat there hoping it would settle down for a while, then Leo showed up and I told him to go ahead and put his paper up. It was still dirty and running once he got back but I decided to just get on with it. Later spotting for him it got really nice for about 30 minutes.....I was kinda pissed lol. Anyway, I figured as long as it didn't spit vertical I would learn enough, so I was surprised especially the 30.62 charge because it noticeably was picking up.

Tom

DHuffman and dmoran like this.
  18. Dave Way

Dave Way Gold $$ Contributor

I have run the Jewels for over 20 years. About 2-3 years ago I tried out a Bix. All are set at 2 ounces. When people ask me to describe the difference I tell them with a Jewel, it breaks cleanly and consistently as I apply pressure. The best way I can describe a Bix is I first feel my finger touch the trigger then the instant I feel it is time to shoot, the rifle seems to fire on it's own. I'm not sure if I'm alone in that opinion or not.

Tom, had I known about your problem, I had an extra Bix in my toolbox.

Dave.

dmoran and dogdude like this.
  19. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

Just call him FRED. Matt

dmoran and Raythemanroe like this.
  20. mikeeg02

He even cuts his sleeves off too lol.

3f4900e9d1fe2977f2d3a7cf242c5665.jpg