binos and color blindness

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by Alex Wheeler, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

I didnt even know what rolling ball was. I told the guy it looks like Im looking through a fish bowl, the edges roll when I scan. He told what it was called.

2. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

That is a common trait amongst spotting scopes when scanning on high power with close objects in front of you. Not something ive ever heard of with high end binoculars.

Next time you have your Meopta spotter on 60x or 70x looking at 1000 yards or more, scan past trees that are only 50 yards or less in front of you. You will see the rolling ball effect on objects that are really close and out of focus. But that is fine. It's when you are scanning on high power where you don't want to have the rolling ball on the objects or area that is "in focus". Objects farther than the focus point should not have rolling ball either. To get the rolling ball with high end spotters, the objects usually have to be really close and completely out of focus while scanning on high power.

Cheap spotting scopes will do this at all ranges on all objects on all power settings. Some worse than others. Many times you will only see it on the very edge of the glass, some will give a complete fish bowl effect.

3. Alex Wheeler

Usually with my spotter I am scanning slow. I never noticed it. With binos Im scanning a lot more. And honestly Im on binos 99% of the time.

4. Ledd Slinger

Yeah you won't see it with a good spotter unless you are purposely trying to make it happen. Need to be scanning across close objects on high power when they are completely out of focus. With some of the cheap spotters, you may notice it just as much as you were talking about with the swaro EL binos.

I'm still very surprised to hear about the rolling ball with the ELs. I assumed they would resist that effect the best of any bino with their "field flattener" lens system.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  5. Ledd Slinger

One of my personal requirements for a bino these days is that it MUST have excellent depth of field. Nothing annoys me more than having to adjust the focus wheel all the time while trying to view objects or animals at different ranges. You will notice with the alpha level binos that you will be able to maintain excellent resolution on objects across a very wide range of distances by just using the natural focusing ability of your eyes. The Vortex Razors I owned, as well as all cheaper binos I owned before them, had horrible depth of field. I had to constantly keep a finger on the focus wheel turning it it in and out as I scanned up and down and across different ridges. Hated it.

The Leica Ultravid BR I had years ago and the Meoptas I now own have excellent depth of field. I usually focus them on the spot im viewing when I first pull them up to my eyes and rarely need to touch the focus after that. I can view near and far by just using my eyes. Leica provides one of the best depth of field viewing experiences on the market in my opinion.

6. Trevor60

Trevor60

Have you considered Big Eyes. Sometimes it is not the colour of the surroundings but the ability to see objects with higher magnification. Animals don't blend in as much when you can see their silhouette or there back shudder from flies.
    https://24hourcampfire.com/big_eyes.html

If you don't want to go all in on a set of expense big eyes check out the mid priced hell I have a pair of celestron 15x70.

now with the big eyes you need to factor in the weight of a tripod... 10x shake is controllable for short periods of time 12x plus and the magnification you gain is lost in the shake

All the best
    Trevor

7. Ledd Slinger

Yeah that's why I am intrigued with the Swarovski BTX eyepiece module. Turns any of the objective modules into a single objective set of 'big eyes'. Magnification is 35X with the 95mm objective. Not nearly as much power as the adjustable monocular eyepiece, but I'd be willing to be the view is pretty amazing

8. Alex Wheeler

Big eyes would me amazing. Out of my league for now. I think the swaro btx with 25x would be ideal.

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  9. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

Alex you need to look through a set of Kowa Highlanders. Most guys with big eyes like 15 to 21x to locate with. You need the big field of view. My Highlanders with the standard 32x eyepiece was hard to glass at less then 800 to 1000 yards. I bought the 21x and they are way better. Matt

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  10. Alex Wheeler

I have looked through them, pretty awesome. I dont need glass to see elk at 1k LOL. I am glassing miles out here.

moondog and Ledd Slinger like this.
  11. Ledd Slinger

I remember the first set of 'pricier' binoculars I purchased were the Leupold Golden Ring 10x/17X dual switch power binos. While the glass was nowhere as nice as top shelf glass it was a really cool feature. Worked better with a tripod when on 17x, but you could hold it steady enough while glassing long range if you just wanted to verify if a suspicious object was an animal or not. And they were pretty lightweight.

I always thought that was a cool bit of engineering in those binos. Of course Leica has been doing this as well for many years in their Duovid. Problem is that the Duovid are HEAVY!

Be cool if one of the alpha glass manufacturers made a bino that would switch from 10X to 18x-20x in a 42mm objective while keeping the weight to a tolerable level

12. Trevor60

Trevor60

These are the one i was talking about as a test set you can see the are affordable actually cheap.... I got the celestron to see if i would like to carry the weight and if the glass provided better field and clarity at the higher magnification they worked surprising well. i have a set of nikon 10x they are clearer but glassing with them was a chore to continually move position to look at a different section of real estate
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008Y0VN/?tag=accuratescom-20

I glass clear cuts in the east which might be mile tops and they work to good affect for my purpose.

Trevor

13. Ledd Slinger

I've also always been intrigued by image stabilized optics. I recall the first time I looked through a set of Canon 12X IS binos. Alough the glass wasn't top tier (was actually really good Japanese glass tho) I found I could see more detail than I could with most other binoculars Ive ever looked through in any price range due to the simple fact that image was perfectly steady in the view. Really amazing to look through.

Now to combine big eyes, top level premium glass, AND image stabilization technology...these would be the ultimate for glassing. Unfortunately, they would also put the ultimate dent in your wallet :/
    https://shop.opticsplanet.com/zeiss...pj5NIO408ekQItjRKbfuRbg1aN8X8s3AaAlWqEALw_wcB

14. Ledd Slinger

The one problem I have with big eyes is the lower magnification levels. While they are good for scanning long range and locating animals, I still like the capability of zooming in to 50x to 70x with my spotter on a buck or bull to see if they are something worth making the 2 or 3 mile trek to hunt. With good weather, i can easily judge the length of small brow tines on a mule deer buck at well over 2 miles with the Meopta S2. If I wasn't a trophy hunter and didnt really need to see all the details on antlers, I think I would own a set of big eyes.

15. Ledd Slinger

Just called the only local sporting goods store that might carry the Leica Noctivid and he said he had some on order. Expects them to be in stock about a month from now. Looks like I'll finally be able to get my hands on a set to see if my eyes think it's worth the upgrade as well

16. Alex Wheeler

army/navy? lol

17. Ledd Slinger

Yep :)

18. Alex Wheeler

Finally sold some stuff and saved up the scratch. @tom being the official optics tester got his hands on my liecas first to compare them to his Sawaro Els

19. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

That's correct, and you now need to find your own pair.

Brandon, there won't be any in town by the time you get home!:D

Tom

20. Alex Wheeler

Fair enough Tom.

I have a pile of barrels and a couple actions for sale, formally owned by a Tom Mousel!

swd, dmoran and Ledd Slinger like this.