binos and color blindness

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by Alex Wheeler, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

Do you have a good spotting scope too? When it comes to 'finding' game, a nice spotting scope is a total game changer.

Can't even count how many times I've found deer and elk that was just too far to make out with 10X binos.

2. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Yes, cabelas euro HD spotter. I am satisfied 100% here. I have looked through the ATX and it resolves better. But it may be the only one that does. And with the mirage that is present at those extended ranges I am not sure you can practically use anything better. I payed close attention this year and there was not a single time I could use much past 35x or could use the resolution this scope offers. My issue is mainly with colors, I see movement very well but a still elk can disappear on me and I hate it lol.

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  3. Ledd Slinger

Yeah that's the same spotter I have. Excellent glass for sure.

Were you using the big ATX 95mm objective and high power eyepiece to compare the Meopta? Or were you playing fair and using the 85mm objective module... ;)

4. Alex Wheeler

It was a 95. Not sure that the bigger Obj lens would make it resolve better, but either way its fair-ish because its the best swaro makes vs the best meopta makes. The difference was not small to my eye. I was spotting holes at 1k in the white as they appeared. I literally was telling tom that shot went 4" lower than your last and plotting as he shot. I was amazed. We can see groups with the meopta but not individual holes.

5. Ledd Slinger

Yeah bigger objectives do resolve better, especially at long range. I have compared this with 65mm vs 80+mm spotters of the same glass many times. But like you said, the best they make vs the best they make.

I was curious if the 85mm was as good as the Meopta because right now I have 2 spotting scopes The 20-70x82 Euro HD and a 15-45x65 Cabelas Krotos HD (would have bought another Euro HD if they made it in 65mm). If the ATX glass is that much better than the Meopta with the smaller 85mm objective as well, I may have to take a closer look at them. May be an upgrade in glass and consolidate to one eye piece and 2 objective modules. Plus then I could make my son pack half the spotter in the high contry with the way the ATX splits. Lol

6. Alex Wheeler

Well, if your going to consolidate just get the 95 and 65. No need for the 85 IMO.

7. Ledd Slinger

Yeah I suppose the large objective module would just be a ground spotter anyhow. Do you think it can fit in my truck? Lol

8. Alex Wheeler

The meopta is not small! lol

9. JRS

JRS Silver $$ Contributor

Fred Bohl wrote a very good article in 2007 about magnification and resolution. I have it in pdf form somewhere. There is a limit to "real resolution", compared to perceived resolution. Bigger isn't always better.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  10. Ledd Slinger

Yeah my back is getting tired of packing that thing around. Plus a big 4.5 lb Manfrotto and head. My small spotter has great glass for the money, problem is I usually end up packing the big Meopta anyhow because it's hard to make myself use lesser quality glass. Just hate not having the Meopta with me at all times.

This is what I fear if I bought the ATX with the 95mm. I would love the big glass so much Id just end up packing it everywhere too. And that's even more weight and used realestate in my pack :/

Have you seen the Swarovski 'BTX' eyepiece module? That would be the way to go for glassing from roads or shooting at the range. Not so much for hiking because that eyepiece alone weighs 50 oz. I bet the view through the BTX is unreal compared to a standard monocular style eyepiece

11. bpmoss1

bpmoss1 Silver $$ Contributor

Len Bakus of Long range hunting has some good reviews on high-end binos. Swears by Swaros.

Alex Wheeler likes this.
  12. Alex Wheeler

I find it hard to get real solid reviews if money is involved. The articles or reviews always end up the same way. "all these are excellent it comes down to personal preference". If you write a bad review you loose money. Its too bad, but its true. I dont get paid by anyone and still take heat for speaking truth. If I made a living selling ads Id be homeless. Thats why these forums are so valuable, guys can speak their minds.

foxguy and bpmoss1 like this.
  13. Alex Wheeler

Yes that thing would be a dream. I just dont think you can use the higher mag glass to its capabilities. I love looking through that ATX in perfect conditions, but in normal conditions you cant see the difference between it and the meopta. I do wish Meopta had a 65mm, Id trade out

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  14. Ledd Slinger

Yeah when it comes to the Alphas, you will find a lot of favorites amongst different people. Hunters seem to prefer the Swaro EL and Meopta B1 HD.

I'm kind of an optics nut. I love reading reviews on all types and price points of glass. Always been intrigued by it.

I read a lot of reviews from professional bird watchers when it comes to alpha optics because they are VERY demanding of their optics and use them ALL the time. They pick apart every little detail and use actual resolution charts with optical doublers to really test the true excellence of the glass. Very informative reviews for painting a good picture of every quality aspect and downfall in an optic.

Another place I really enjoy reading for high end optics and new gear reviews is www.rokslide.com The main guy is as unbiased as it gets and is a high country mountain hunter like myself so his reviews relate closely to the conditions I encounter myself while hunting.

But in the end, everyone's eyes are different. If you were to take a set of Noctivid, Swaro EL, and the new Zeiss Victory SF T binoculars, I'm sure nobody could discern a difference between the resolution and clarity. But there may be other optical characteristics that YOUR eyes prefer over the other optics. And maybe some certain mechanical features that you prefer over the others if you can't seem to decide which glass you like best. This is why although I love spending hours reading optics reviews, there is NO substitute for actually looking through the optics yourself to see what YOU prefer.

For example, I walked into Cabelas one day about 3 years ago with a wad of $3K cash in my pocket. I was dead set on buying a Swarovski ATS 20-60x80mm HD spotting scope and today was finally the day that was gonna happen. Been waiting a long time for the moment when I would FINALLY own a Swaro HD spotter. Now at the time, I really didn't know much about Meopta. But the guy behind the counter told me to take a look at the Cabela's branded Meopta S2 HD spotter. I brushed his suggestion off without a care at first, but he persisted a little and convinced me to compare the two spotters. So with his help, I took them both outside on tripods and put them through rigorous tests on all kinds of objects at all distances near and far. To my surprise, I preferred the glass of the Meopta over the Swaro HD! Couldn't believe it to be honest. I had no idea there was anything out there that could best the mighty Swaro HD at the time. In the end, I happily left the store with the Meopta under my arm and a big smile on my face :)

15. Alex Wheeler

Yep I was sure I was going to buy the swaro el. Almost had a buddy just order them. I had to go in to a town and figured why not go look through them all. Best thing I ever did. Bid mistake avoided. In no way am I knocking swaro els, they just dont work with my eyes.

Ledd Slinger likes this.
  16. Ledd Slinger

My extensive reading of optics reviews all the time can help at times. After reading and watching just about every review out there on the Noctivids a light went off in my head when you described having an issue with slight color blindness. The contrast and brightness of colors was where the Noctivid stood above the rest and that's why I suggested them. I couldn't guarantee that they would work for your eyes because I can't see through your eyes, but with what I had read in reviews they seemed to be the best bet for fitting your needs. Great to hear they worked for you

17. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

A few months back a long range forum gave a review on a Swarovski X5I. They gave it a great review. Now fast forward a few months and they said the Nightforce was better. I asked a question to him and he answered. The answer had nothing to do with either scope. I asked him if his opinion was due to the fact he had to send the Swaro back. He then took the conversation offline. I believe I was right and he liked whichever was free. Matt

18. Alex Wheeler

The colors were better, but honestly that was a small difference. The rolling-ball effect and 3D effect of the swaros vs the Lieca was night and day. I dont know if others see that like I do or not. I did see both those issues mentioned in my research. But not much time was spent on those issues, maybe to some those things are minor, to me I would not own a pair of binos that acted that way at any price. The optics guy was excellent that helped me. He was very quiet the whole time purposely not injecting his opinions. When I started noticing issues he smiled and shook his head. He said he wouldnt have told me if I wouldnt have noticed because some people dont see it and he didnt want to bring it to my attention if I didnt. The 3 of us all had the same conclusions on our favorites. Interesting stuff.

19. Ledd Slinger

I've never owned a set of Swaro ELs, but even though I've looked through them many times, I never noticed the rolling ball. I dont recall reading that in any reviews either. Though I also don't recall ever scanning while looking through a set of ELs...Surely if I owned a pair I would have noticed eventually. Thanks for that valuable input. I'll definitely check for it the next time I get my eyes on a pair

20. Alex Wheeler

Yep, honest reviews can hurt you. What surprises me is how little companies know about the competition sometimes. For example it would not surprise me if the NF guys have never looked through or tested the Swaro and vise versa. Then a guy does a review and one blows the other away or the product is sub par they get pissed. Well, you should know your competition and your product and no review should ever come as a surprise.

Ledd Slinger likes this.