binos and color blindness

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by Alex Wheeler, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

So I have a hard time with red, green, and brown. Obviously that makes seeing game tough at times. Does anyone have experience with a particular brand that has seems to do better with contrasting those colors? I have a very good pair of binos now but they seem to have a very neutral tone to my eyes and colors dont pop to me. Looking for top end binos.

2. JRS

JRS Silver $$ Contributor

There is a few companies that offer contact lenses or prescription glasses lenses to help with the colors you see. I would think a specialized binocular would be extremely expensive.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  3. JSH

JSH

Alex, don't feel like the Lone Ranger, I fight the same thing. Over the years I have learned to pick out what doesn't belong.
    All the glass I have, Bushnell,Leupold,Burris none of them were any better than the other for me.

Did you ever think maybe folks such as us are right, and everyone else is wrong? Lol

I have green paper bags at my house.
    If you come up with a solution I am all in on it, as long as I don't have to sell a kidney to pay for it.

Been goin to the same optometrist for 30 years, he has never once mentioned being able to fix it.
    Jeff

4. Hal

Hal

Alex
    I remember reading about one of the German companies making binos that were make to browns stand out from green backgrounds.
    I think it was Ziess.

Hal

5. Mulligan

Mulligan Silver $$ Contributor

I have the same issue. The guy at the bino counter at Cabelas thought I was nuts when I said, " grab those three pairs and lets go outside".
    In the end, I bought Swaro EL 10x42.
    I am happy with them and can sort stuff out fairly good.
    CW

6. bench

bench Silver $$ Contributor

I think it would be great to see the world as everyone else does just for a day.
    No glass that I have tried has been of any difference.

7. swd

swd Gold $$ Contributor

8. 3Ackleys

3Ackleys Silver $$ Contributor

A friend of mine is color blind and has tried most binos out there. He has settled on the Swaro 12x50 el's.

9. Alex Wheeler

Looks like I may have to look through some swaros....

dkhunt14 likes this.
  10. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

I have the Meopta B1 HD binos like you Alex. They have amazing glass with awesome resolution as you know, but they have pretty neutral color to them, or also known as 'true' color. Swarovski glass is also very neutral. Very similar to Meopta HD. Hard to tell the difference between the two actually.

I had a set of Leica Ultravid BR binos years ago and I'll never forget how the colors 'popped' compared to other glass. The blacks greens and reds appeared much deeper and richer. The Ultravid HD are even better, but I've been reading a lot on the new flagship Noctivid 10x42. They are supposed to offer an amazing ultra detailed view with unmatched color contrast. I've been wanting to look through a set, but nobody carries them around here yet. If you get a chance, I would try to look through a set of Noctivids. To my eyes, the Leica glass may not be sharper or brighter than other top optics (definitely equal in many ways), but the color contrast always seems to be a step above. This may be exactly what you are looking for.

Alex Wheeler likes this.
  11. Ledd Slinger

No that was Steiner. They do make the Browns stand out better, but the optical clarity and resolution is not up to par with top European brand optics.

12. Dos XX

Dos XX Gold $$ Contributor

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  13. Kookie

Kookie

Alex,
    The Steiner Predator series binoculars have a color adjusting coating to enhance contrast and make game stand out against the background. Not sure if they are high end enough for your needs, but definitely worth looking through a pair. For high end binoculars the Zeiss Victory series are worth a look also.

JRS likes this.
  14. Turbulent Turtle

Turbulent Turtle F-TR competitor

Let's make sure we understand what being "colorblind" means. From the OP's description he sounds like he is a mild to moderate protan, which happens to be the same issue that I have. This is due to the red cones in the retina not getting enough red and being overly sensitive to green, which makes greens, red, orange and brown difficult to distinguish at times.

There are glasses available that essentially cut out some wavelengths from the color spectrum to try to counter that issue but they bring on other challenges. Also, these glasses need to be adapted to an individual's color perception. You won't find this in binoculars as the coating used in optical glass does not cut out any wavelengths but instead makes sure that no wavelengths are more reflected than others at the air-glass boundary.

One might get lucky and find that a manufacturer's multicoating technology is inferior as some wavelengths are more reflected than others and the wavelength that is more reflected happens to be the one that needs to be eliminated in order to get a better color separation, but there is a massive difference between "more reflected" and "eliminated."

I'm perfectly happy to be proven wrong, but I doubt the OP will find anything that will help with his condition. I do agree that better contrast and resolution is worthwhile, but that only brings the picture in the ocular to the same level as not having any glass between the eye and the object.

There may be a better chance of getting a defective multi-coat that could actually help the OP in cheaper products.

15. Ledd Slinger

I know that from time to time I have to adjust my diopter as well. When I am not hydrated, my right eye becomes nearsighted so I need to adjust my diopter a click or two to the right. When I am fully hydrated, the picture is better through my binoculars with the diopter set at dead center.

I think a lot of people believe the diopter is a 'set it and forget it' adjustment. In my experience, this is far from the truth. By constantly keeping my diopter in tune with the difference between my eyes as my hydration levels change, it definitely helps to keep the image ultra crisp so I can pick out those little hidden pieces of animals bedded in the trees and bushes.

The contrast on mt Meopta HD binos is excellent to my eyes, but I've also trained myself to look for 'shapes' more than colors. And not full body shapes, rather pieces of the body. A leg, an antler fork or tine, an ear, a nose, a rump sticking out from behind a tree, etc... I am able to find game much better this way. Of course my Meopta spotting scope and tripod is always present in my pack so any objects of interest at long range that can't be fully discerned with the binos will get a closer look. I hate packing my spotting scope and tripod around, but I hate not having it with me even more. For western hunting, having a good spotting scope on hand is a necessity IMO.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  16. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

http://enchroma.com/

Sent this thread to my eye surgeon. His reply below.

Enchroma glasses and some specialty contacts enhance the proton and deutan deficient patient. The confusion is with Red/Green wavelengths and saturation of color plays an important role. Consequently in low light, color receptors are relatively inactive and the rods take over (as opposed to the cones) in the retina. No binos I know have this technology.
    Doc

17. Powderwagon2

Powderwagon2

Alex the glasses you looked through at championship match that I bought from Dennis work great. If you need info contact me Jim Williams. These make earth tones really pop. Also the very reason I bought them.

18. Alex Wheeler

I thought I would update this thread for anyone looking. I got some time with the Cabelas euro HD, Swaro EL, Leica ultravid plus, and Leica noctovid. All 10x42 models. Conditions were almost ideal, overcast and clean air. Resolution between all of these are so good I am not sure the eye can detect much difference, I couldnt. I wear glasses so eye relief is important and the euro hd was the worst, bad enough that I cant get full field of view. The ultravids were solid performers but the EL just out shined them. Eye relief, slightly brighter image, and just overall image looked better. The EL is a very impressive bino. But I could not own them. They had very pronounced rolling ball effect when scanning. A big problem for me looking for game. In the short time I used them I could tell Id feel sick if I spent a lot of time with them. The other thing I noticed was a 3D effect that reminded me of those 3d glasses at the movies. I owned a pair of Nikons that had that effect and it was very distracting and why I sold them. The depth of field on the swaro EL was the worst of the bunch as well. I was kind of surprised given the popularity of these binos that I could actually find things I didnt like about them. The color tone was more blue, and for my color blindness was not the best choice. The noctivid was simply amazing to me. The depth of field was unbelievable, no rolling ball, the image looked like real life as if you were not using an optic. And like the ultravids it had more rich colors. When you read these reviews online you always get the same conclusion, they are all equal just pick the one you like. To me and my un skilled eye there were very big differences in these binos. I did not buy any of them yet. But to date the Noctivids are on another level to my eye. The euro hd was maybe the most impressive in what you get for the $$. If I had to pick between them and the swaro I would choose the euro. The image was not quite the quality of the EL but no rolling ball or 3D effect, also depth of field was much better. I think for a birder the EL would be a better bino than for a hunter, they seem better suited to fixing on an object than for scanning. I understand some people do not pick up on the rolling ball effect, but a quick search showed its a known issue in the EL. I guess it doesnt bother some, I could not live with it. One thing I have learned is you must go outside with them all and make your choice because if I had bought a pair from researching online it would have been the ELs and I would have had to sell them. To your eyes they may be the best though.

fyrewall, Meangreen and JRS like this.
  19. Ledd Slinger

Great review.
    I'm glad to hear that the Noctivids are living up to everything I've been reading. I still haven't had the opportunity to look through a set. Ive looked through Swaro ELs many times and like you, I don't see enough of a difference between them and the Euro HD to change. The Noctovids still have me excited because I have always been a fan of the Leica glass when it comes to contrast of colors.

The eye relief on the 10x42 Euro HD was one of the major reasons I went with the 10x32 Euro HD. Original plan was to buy the 10x42. But after comparing all the models in Cabelas for quite some time, the choice was clear to me. Eye relief is much more comfortable with the smaller 32 as it offers an extra 1.3mm over the 42 (the 10x32 has the best eye relief of all the Euro HD binos actually) Field of view with the 32 is even slightly larger at 1K than the 42. And I got a weight savings of 10 oz. over the 42. I did sacrifice a little bit of low light capability, but I figured the pros outweighed the one con. The 32s are no slouch in low light tho. I have never found myself complainin one bit about their low light performance.
    2018-01-07 20.36.22.jpg

Anyhow, did you think the difference between the Noctivid and the Euro HD glass and features would be worth making the jump to the $2.6K price tag they wear? I really need to get my hands on a set...

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  20. Alex Wheeler

Obviously we all have things we spend our hard earned money on. I dont consider myself a hard core hunter but I HATE glassing over elk and not seeing them. You can have all the best gear on the planet and if you cant find the elk you cant kill them. I dont own a lot of rifles, but the couple I own are good. So to me yes, its worth it. I sold my 15s, and am selling my 10s to fund some new binos. The image quality and color (big one for me) will make a difference in seeing elk for my eyes.

JRS likes this.