1. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

Any particular reason not to go with 8x. It offers a number of advantages for hunting binoculars.

2. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market

I primarily hunt open fields during modern gun season. I prefer 10x and maybe 12x. I have a shooting house on wheels at one end of the farm and plan to hunt mostly from my shooting house that attached from my shop this year, at this end of the farm. I only hug trees during archery season. :)

What would be your suggestion for 5-600 yards, max? I often have them come very close but the big boys often hang back. Ethics are a story for another day but I'm comfortable out to 600 with my equipment and setups. I could shoot further but want my flags out. Lol!

Hunting from either setup allows me to grab the gun best suited for the shot. I usually have time to setup the gun for the shot if I see him coming from across the field. That's where the glass comes in. I just need to know what he is.

The other blind is in the middle of a field that is roughly 1500 yards long..wide really, and about 900 yards deep. I've shot coyotes from that spot at about 750. Average shot distance has been about 225 though.

The shop location lets me hunt and still be at the shop during gun season. It never fails that I have several customers come by needing something fixed during season. The other one is very good. I've had over 50 deer in the field at once. My strategy during the rut is simple...I just want to be where there are lots of does and where I can cover a lot of ground with a shot. But, I'm in Ky, not out west. That 1500 yard wide field is about as far as you can see anywhere around here before something gets in the way, be it a hill or a woods.

3. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

I believe the Cabelas are Meopta. Which is really good glass, bright and clear. If you would send a PM to Leddslinger, I bet he knows and has tested them. Matt

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  4. gunsandgunsmithing

Thanks Matt!

5. johnfred1965

johnfred1965

I might be late to the game, but my vote is to stay with Nikon. I've had my Travelites for 25 years and I still like them better than my brother's ATB's. Unless i was going to break the bank with some swaro's, Nikon is the way to go.

holstil and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  6. fredo

fredo Silver $$ Contributor

Zeiss Terra 10x42 are like $450. BUT... don't let the German name fool ya...they are MADE IN CHINA

If ya want true German, I've got a pair of Leica Trinovid BN 10x42s just sittin' here, since being shelved for LRF capable binos. BADAZZ glass, rubber armor tough & have KUIU chest harness for em. Will make ya a deal...if interested (send PM)

If you're wanting to stick with ~$200, then grab a pair of Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 10x42s. They're the best I've looked thru in that price range...

Good luck!

holstil and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  7. gunsandgunsmithing

fredo, I very much appreciate your offer. I'm just not going to spend the kind of money you will likely need for you Leicas. I may go a little over my $200 stated budget but as I said previously, $1000 binocs won't germinate any better than $200 ones if I drop them from a tractor. Lol!
    I do enjoy good glass but not this time. Someone on here may well buy your Leicas. Post them in the classifieds section and see what happens. Great bunch of guys on here and many that will appreciate the premium glass and a fair price.

I buy premium stuff most of the time but this just isn't one of those times. Kinda like buying a rangefinder that works for 4000 yards when my longest possible shot is 750 yards, to me.

Thanks again for the offer and advice.

fredo likes this.
  8. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

Make no mistake, Chinese factories are producing the same quality using the components shipped to them by the big names in the industry. The difference is the labor rate. China can and will produce quality. Most of the big names have a QC person at the plants in China.

9. Jdne5b

Jdne5b Gold $$ Contributor

10. gunsandgunsmithing

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  11. Pwc

Pwc

Harbor Freight... now don't everyone get their backs up.....I hate giving the Chinese anything too, but, with limited funds and knowing they will be abused, they had a dark green "rubberized" 10 X 50 set for $49. I took them to the front of the store and looked out the window near and far. Adjustment was good between eye pieces and it held for varying distance.

I don't hunt anymore, but if I did, I would have bought a pair.

12. johnfred1965

johnfred1965

I know I talked up the nikons, but let us know how you like the vortex's. My grandson took over my favorite travelites.

13. Fyrchief

Fyrchief Silver $$ Contributor

14. munsonbw

munsonbw

I keep trying to talk myself into bumping up the budget to $500 and even beyond, then I think that maybe I just need a basic set of $2-300 ones. I know for good glass, $500 even is not close to getting there, which is my question. Is one really getting that much more by going with something like a Meopro or Kowa BD 8x42 at the $450 price point vs Vortex Diamondback or Hawke Endurance or the Legends at the $200 range? I also wonder if stepping back to an older used set might be better? My dad has some Pentax DCF-SP that, in their day, were highly rated for the money. A used set can be had for $350. I looked through the diamondbacks and Nikon Monarch 5s today. Unfortunately, it was only inside the store. I saw no appreciable difference between them and maybe even liked the Diamondbacks better even though they are a lot less, relatively speaking. I had pretty much decided on Terra EDs, which B&H has some used ones for under $200. Then a sales guy convinced me they were pretty so-so and the Meopros were the way to go.

At this time, my main use is family hikes and general scoping out the property (woods and field). Any thoughts are much appreciated.

15. munsonbw

munsonbw

I am also puzzled by the various reviews saying almost contradictory things. One birding site praised the Vanguard Endeavor ED II as a great bang for the buck, then Outdoor life was disappointed. Does the intended use really affect the overall "score" that much or is it your eyes, my eyes thing?

16. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

It could be the eyes thing. Everybodies eyes are different. It could also be that birders are using them more during the day when light is brighter. Hunters use them alot the first and last hour when ligjt is low. Alot of glass looks good when its bright out. The better glass looks good in bad conditions. Matt

JRS likes this.
  17. JRS

JRS Gold $$ Contributor

The intended use means a great deal. Birders want to be able to see colors and count the number of feathers on the bird. What you see with your eyes will be different than what someone else sees with their eyes.

18. gunsandgunsmithing

Been a little under the weather for a couple of days but have gone out a couple of times and tried them out. So far, quite pleased with the Vortex Diamondback 10x42s. They are definitely a step up from the Nikons that I have been using. Granted, they are about twice the price but in todays money vs when I bought the Nikons, they would be comparably priced today.

The color and contrast are clearer and brighter. They handle and adjust easily. I don't know how I feel about the covers just yet. Colder weather may tell me more. I think the straps may get stiff in the cold and be inconvenient to keep the covers out of view...we'll see how that works out.

Overall, I am pleasantly surprised at how well the glass performs and have no complaints at this price point.

Jdne5b likes this.
  19. gunnermhr

gunnermhr

In parts of West Virginia that's called their daily commuter

20. gunsandgunsmithing

Funny you should say that. I've said before that it looks like the Beverly Hillbillies coming down the road. Once in place, it's hard to beat, though.

gunnermhr likes this.