1. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market

It's time to replace my old hunting binoculars. I don't spend a lot on something that I know I'm gonna abuse. So, what's everyone's opinion of the best 10-12ish power binocs for hunting that are under $200? I prefer fairly compact but not a deal breaker. I'm not hiking the mountains with them.

Thanks in advance.--Mike

2. Toby Bradshaw

Toby Bradshaw Gold $$ Contributor

Certified binocular snob here (longtime Leica Trinovid user), but for the money (a little over $300) the Zeiss Terra ED binoculars are impossible to beat until you start spending 4 times that much. And even then the difference in image quality is small.

jepp2, Sniper338, brians356 and 2 others like this.
  3. gunsandgunsmithing

Thank you!

4. muleman69

muleman69 USMC -1st marine Div. RVN Gold $$ Contributor

I would look the vortex over really good for the money and warranty

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  5. MislMan

MislMan Silver $$ Contributor

You might also try asking the question on a bird watching site. They use binocs a lot and many we may not of heard of or have experience with.

6. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

Look at the Vortex Diamondbacks back 10/42s. Great price and very good bino. I don't own a 10X but I do have the 8/42 and they are very nice. Very good price as well. Just bought a 10/42 Barska strictly to leave in my box blind ( cheap for fairly close viewing) but didn't want to go more than 50.00. Surprisingly clear and nice bino for the $$$.

brians356 and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  7. Bugs

Bugs Gold $$ Contributor

+1 on the Vortex Diamondbacks. I use several alpha glass binoculars and bought the Diamondbacks for my grandson. They are so good, I'm ordering some for myself.

284winner likes this.
  8. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

No bino under $200 will be good so I'd just spin the wheel and get whatever.

Like Toby Bradshaw said, for a little more you won't beat the glass in the Zeiss Terra ED.
    Vortex Diamondback have good glass for the money too and a great warranty. Nikon Monarchs are no slouch for the price either. Of course you won't find any of these for under $200, but all 3 are what most folks consider "budget binos" with good glass for the price point.

If you are honestly concerned about having good optics, save your money until you can afford a high end binocular. I guarantee you won't regret it.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    nmkid, okie and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  9. 284winner

284winner Gold $$ Contributor

I say it depends on their use. If your use is for fairly short range viewing, get what you can afford. If they are for the longest ranges spotting game, definitely put some money away for a while and buy excellent glass. Your eyes will thank you if your using them for long periods at a time glassing extended distance. Like I said I bought a cheap pair to leave in my box blind. Decent enough to see better than my eyes can out to 100-150 yards maybe identifying antler points and size. They stay in my blind all season.

10. gunsandgunsmithing

Thanks to you and everyone for the replies. I'm leaning toward the Vortex right now. The're in the right price range and everyone seems to be happy with them.
    Trust me on this, if I were buying binocs for the hunt of a lifetime or if I thought better and more expensive ones would suit my use better, I'd buy a more expensive set. Truth is, I use them mostly behind my shop, which is also where I do most of my hunting. My shots are limited to about 600 yards and less. I just need to be able to watch my pet deer and decide before I shoot, what I'm shooting. I've been very content with a $125 set of Nikons for my use, for about 15 years. They've been left on tractors and four wheelers and dropped from my truck. They finally got to the point where a lense is loose and one eyepiece binds instead of adjusting in and out like it should. :eek:
    Most of the time I can use a March or NF scope on a rifle to have a better look if need be, from my shooting room that overlooks my "hunting spot." I realize there are much better choices that my stated budget won't buy. I can be pleased on this purchase with far less than most. My last pair that lasted for about 15 years were Nikon'
    s Action series. They were fine for what I use them for. Way better than some and way inferior to many, but they were good enough for me and my use.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback.

11. brians356

brians356 Gold $$ Contributor

I bought the Zeiss Terra ED 10x42 a few years ago, on sale, and love them. However, I hope they've redesigned the strap-mounted lens cover system, it's awkward and the front covers don't stay in place.

Recently my brother bought the Vortex Diamondback 10x42s and I am very impressed, especially for the price. I think they stack up reasonably well next to my Zeiss Terras, for less money.
    -

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  12. msinc

msinc

Suggest you look at the Carson VP. Amazon has them and they are under $200. Mother-in-law lives in Florida and messes around with bird watching...several of the folks that do that in her club recommended them to her for a "starter" pair.
    Personally, I am a Leica man myself and I also have a pair of Kahles binos I've had for 20 years. Honestly, I tried these Carson binos out and in normal daylight hours it is hard to tell them from my high end glass. Now, will it be that way at the edge of dark??? Probably not, but they have to be pretty close and for the money you cant go wrong. if I needed or had use for a pair I could beat around and not worry about I would try them. Looking toward the sun on a bright day they don't wash out either, so there must be something to the coatings.

13. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

Good point and very true.

14. Grimstod

Grimstod Machinist, Designer, and Shooter. Gold $$ Contributor

I have just the pair you need. Well actually I do not have any to sell but Orion does. I have one set of these and they are very good for what they cost. Compared to a set of Nikons you would have to spend $500 more. Even my brother who is an optics snob with only swarovski glass in his bag, was very impressed with these.

They have ED glass too. You have to buy top price Vortex binoculars to get as good as these.

https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Bin...noculars/rc/2160/pc/-1/c/5/sc/71/p/117117.uts

15. Hopkins

Hopkins

Steiner 8x30's fit your price point and I have a pair that have been bouncing around on the dash of my farm truck for the last 5 years. They are rugged, relatively compact and surprisingly good. I have a pair of Swarovskis that are twice the size, 3 times the weight and 10% better and cost way more. Wish I had spent the money on something else.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  16. McGraw

McGraw

I noticed Sport Optics has both of the brands mentioned. They have a 13% off fall sale right now. Might be worth a look.

17. OKyote73

OKyote73

Just call Nikon and send your old pair back. More than likely they will replace them with a newer upgrade pair for no charge. Did that for my neighbor

18. gunsandgunsmithing

I do plan to do just that but I doubt I'll have the new/repaired ones back before deer season opens here. Thought I'd just buy a set and keep the others when they come back. Another reason I didn't want to spend a lot.
    Thanks for your input. I do appreciate everyone's feedback. I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger already, as there have been a few good suggestions come up in the last day or two. Not sure which way I'll go now. Not a ton of money so it's not like I have a lot to lose whichever way I go. I do like the reviews and warranty with the Vortex but may try one of the others mentioned. I'll decide which way to go in a day or so.

I do appreciate high end glass on my bench guns and I have a couple of good scopes on hunting rigs. I'm just not one to spend a lot on binocs that I could drop from a tractor and never see again. These are just a beater set to me.

19. Nature Boy

Nature Boy

I have the same ones that are 10-50. I was issued a pair in the army so I knew how durable the were. Very happy with them.

As Hopkins says, the 8-30 are right in your price point

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BJR22OU/?tag=accuratescom-20

20. pikespeakgoat

pikespeakgoat Gold $$ Contributor

I needed a set of beater binos for my work truck... ended up with the Cabelas 10x42 Intensity, ED glass, lifetime warranty and very good glass for the price IMO and right in your price point.