Bighorn tl3 action...best option for barrel

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by gunmutt, Oct 29, 2016.

1. gunmutt

gunmutt

So I am looking at getting another build started. I want to base the build off of a bighorn tl3 action. Should I go with a barrel nut style or non-barrel nut for the barrel? What are the advantages of the conventional style barrel mountings? I would think if I burn through barrels at least 1 a year I would have the ease to change my own barrel. I think when I buy my barrel I would buy maybe 3-4 of them since I lean more towards the fast 6mm cartridges.

2. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

The only reason you'd ever want a nut is if you want to be able to buy prefit barrels. Other than that, have them machined with a shoulder.

LA50SHOOTER and Scott Harris like this.
  3. gunmutt

gunmutt

Are prefits a bad option? And if so then why.

4. ab_bentley

ab_bentley I fix stuff, sometimes.... Silver $$ Contributor

They're not a bad option, but again, you're buying a premium action and turning around and putting a slightly above factory chamber on it. I know Alex and a slew of other smith's in here specialize in wringing the accuracy out of a barrel to match the action. Even if you want to change the barrel yourself that can be arranged when using a shouldered barrel.

Adam

5. Alex Wheeler

Alex Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

Depends on what kind of accuracy your after. Id rather have the best barrel money can buy that the best action. Putting prefits on custom actions doesnt make sense to me.

LA50SHOOTER and hoz53 like this.
  6. willbas

willbas

this is the groping I got this weekend with My TL3 and CBI barrel and new brass and the wind was up and down still working on it only 176 round through it.

Attached Files:

gunmutt likes this.
  7. Westex91

Westex91 Silver $$ Contributor

My tl3 has a "prefit" coming from Josh at PVA. It is a shouldered barrel. The bighorns are so precise a smith can spin a barrel without having the action in hand.

Now this doesn't mean I'm against barrel nut prefits like criterion. I've owned several and they shot great. Good luck. You'll love the tl3

8. savagedasher

savagedasher Gold $$ Contributor

If your going to have your barrel index and special dies made go with the shoulder.
    If not the nut is a better choices. With the nut you can change the head space enough that non custom dies will always bump.
    Larry

9. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

If you want the ultimate in accuracy get a shouldered barrel. Barrels with the nut are mass produced. You get what you get. I would never order a barrel with nut to work around an improper die. Just my personal opinion.:D

Paul

www.boltfluting.com

10. savagedasher

savagedasher Gold $$ Contributor

Paul
    I didn't say the dies were improper.
    Reading in here I have seen many shooter buy dies the gun has a tight headspace and they must have the die or shell holder modified for shoulder bump.
    If you have the large shank target action and you buy a standard 1.250 barrel you end up with a.060 shoulder . Not enough for me. Just build a nut 1 .300 and you have a good shoulder . Just my thoughts . The action and lug is 1.300 my nut is 1.300 .
    I have a python action I put a standard barrel on that shot ok. I added at nut that made tennon shoulder the same size as the action and it shoots great . Larry

11. Bugholes

Bugholes

Pre-fits aren't always "mass produced"
    They can be made with premium barrels, and premium reamers, with little to no runout.
    Using a custom action, with proper threads, will make a remarkable rifle, at a fraction of the cost and wait time associated with a shouldered barrel
    As shooters continue to exponentially outnumber gunsmiths, I believe you will see a change in the markets attitude towards barrel nuts and pre-fits.
    You'll see something new coming from this shop very shortly

RoscoXR, DrPark and gunmutt like this.
  12. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

The old adage still applies, you still only get what you pay for. Just my personal opinion. Really, it just comes down to how much accuracy you need for the job at hand. I have yet to see a nut on a full blown bench rest rifle. I have however, seen a few nuts sitting directly behind the rifle. Lol. :):eek:

Paul

nakneker and Toby Bradshaw like this.
  13. gunmutt

gunmutt

For a tactical style competition rifle shooting those fast 6mm bullets I would think a barrel nut system would be a good setup but if you have a Smith that can shoulder a bighorn action barrel they can repeat this barrel down the road or go ahead a spin up a few barrels that easily be installed by the shooter at home with a few simple tools

14. BoydAllen

BoydAllen Gold $$ Contributor

When I got my first custom actioned rifle, the smith who did the original barrels, kept a record of the dimensions of my action. After that, I would have a barrel shipped to him, give him a call to let him know the particulars regarding shank and overall lengths and after he chambered, crowned, and engraved it, he would ship it to me. The rifle has never left home. I really liked that arrangement.

15. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm

This arrangement is great, but with the Big Horn you could do both...just saying... MPA offers a custom in their chassis out the door for $3150.00. Phil Cashin also owns Spencer barrels. He also offers several other custom actions for your choice.

Don Dunlap

16. Delfuego

Delfuego

Don't worry about the nut with a Bighorn. We just swap barrels on Bighorns all the time with just a barrel vice. Bighorns are very well machined, we have had different actions headspace the same barrel perfectly.

We have a smith that measures everything on the action and will turn a new barrel. If you need another, you don't have to send the action to him. He will reference his notes and just spin it up and mail it.

17. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm

You can have both...that's what I will do if I go with a Big Horn. I have plenty of excellent shooting Savage pre fits.

Don Dunlap

RoscoXR likes this.
  18. willbas

willbas

Will I just had my first problem with my Big Horn and CBI barrel. This past weekend I had my worst match ever. I got back home and stated to check every nut and bolt all tight. Then I put my NOGO gauge in and it just barley closed. I took it all the way down cleaned the action and barrel and reinstalled it My Velcro moved about 1/4 inch left from vertical. My CBTO is the same as before. My question is it time for a new barrel or is this just need a adjustment?

19. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Gold $$ Contributor

Aside from the fact this is resurrecting a year old thread, a LOT more information is needed to address your issue.

20. willbas

willbas

I have had the CBI barrel for a year with about 1850 rounds down the barrel. I shoot Burger 200 20X bullets at about 2640 FPS what other info do you need. I do have a new barrel on the way.