Bighorn Origin action

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by mike a, Jul 11, 2018.

1. mike a

mike a Silver $$ Contributor

Anyone awaiting? Coming out mid next month. Anyone getting parts together. I've got a Shilen SS select match, savage varmint contour, waiting on my Bix n Andy Tac/ sport Pro, Sol M5 bottom metal and McMillan Gamewarden Adjustable on order.

boltfluter likes this.
  2. mike a

Wow, no love.

3. JRS

JRS

Nothing really new. It's a budget version of the TL3.

4. boltfluter

boltfluter

Bighorn makes a great action. I have one of the originals when Aj Goddard was building them. Rumor has it that the new ones are as good or better than the originals. I believe you will be very happy.:D:D

Paul

mike a likes this.
  5. mike a

That's the second time
    Go rain on somebody else's parade.

Regnar, McGraw and Dgd6mm like this.
  6. mike a

I too believe I will like it. I really like that it has savage threads. The floating/ swappable bolt head is nice. This will be my first ever custom action and I feel quite a step up from the trued 700 action. I can't believe I'm putting an $800 dollar stock on it. This will be a $4000 dollar rig w/glass. It's budget alright. All of mine!

McGraw likes this.
  7. Riesel

Riesel Gold $$ Contributor

A fellow here in SA got one of those actions in about 4-5 weeks ago. It is a very nice action and I also like the Savage threads and the fact that you do not need a recoil lug. He has a proof research barrel in 6.5 and ordered a JGS reamer in..........................6.5 PRC! ! ! Has a reputable smith in Austin doing the barrel work and it all goes in a McMillian stock, sorry don't know the style. Should make a dandy combination and the only weak link, and that's debatable, was the Timney trigger. A Jewel trigger would add something to this set-up. If you would like to talk with this guy shoot me a PM and I'll pass his store info along.

8. Delfuego

Delfuego Silver $$ Contributor

Us Colorado boys love our Bighorns. It's all I shoot. We have been running them for years all the way back to when they were Cro-Moly (like yours ;)). They are great actions and have always been reliable and consistent. I think you will be happy too. What are you using it for? Chambering?

mike a likes this.
  9. Twitchy

Twitchy

I have a couple TL3s and love them. I shoot F-Class and PRS. In F-Class I'm the only shooter with one. I've only seen a few other TL3s in PRS due to the other custom actions being more popular, but the Origin has a waiting list due to demand. It's going to be a big hit soon.

As far as I can see it's a chromoly TL3 without the integral lug. Otherwise I think its the same.

mike a and JRS like this.
  10. mike a

I'm on the 6.5 creedmoor band wagon because it's the greatest cartridge ever made.

DirtySteve and Dusty Stevens like this.
  11. 300_whisper

300_whisper Silver $$ Contributor

Does your husband think the same thing??

JKJK!! I love picking on the creedmoore lovers. :D:D

I too am looking for a new action for a .308 win build. This might be what I am looking for.

Cuando and mike a like this.
  12. Delfuego

Delfuego Silver $$ Contributor

For hunting? I ask because the Game Warden is a pretty light stock. Good for hunting but not doing you any favors in the recoil department.

13. mike a

6.5 creedmoor, when I load it with 41.6 grns of Ground Unicorn horn it doesn't recoil.

DirtySteve likes this.
  14. willbas

willbas

I lave a TL3 SA in my F-TR the more I shoot it the smother it gets. I want to get a TL3 LA in .308 and convert my SA to .223

15. mike a

Hey guys & girls, op here. If you look at post 3 you'll see the word budget. I hate that word. You may call me petty but this is my first real live custom, therefore I called Bighorn and changed my order to there "Flagship" TL3 action. Looks like I'll be working some overtime.

6ShotsOr5? and boltfluter like this.
  16. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

Smart decision! If this is your first, go for the gold ring! A Bighorn was going to be my first until a sweet deal for a Bat fell in my lap. It's still on my wishlist.;)

mike a likes this.
  17. boltfluter

boltfluter

Mike,

Good call. The controlled round feeding will let you run most any caliber with no issues. A great investment in the long run.:D:D

Paul

mike a likes this.
  18. Cuando

Cuando Silver $$ Contributor

I've got one coming.

Bartlein 2b 7 twist @ 21" .223AI in an Edge fill McM Hunter, PTG Stealth dbm, TT Diamond, Dual Dovetails and a 6x SWFA Milquad.

It'll look something like this sans the 700.

[​IMG]

300_whisper likes this.
  19. NLS7162

NLS7162

I am eagerly awaiting the Origin release as well!! I currently have three TL3's and they have all been great. Wanting to build a lighter more economical rifle for the kids to carry around and shoot.

Just a note for anyone going to build a 223 Ackley on these actions; they are a little fussy when trying to feed these rounds. I have a 223 Ackley and a 6x45 Ackley both magazine fed and they did not feed really well in the TL3's. BigHorn is now making a push feed bolt head and it functions great. This push feed head also still utilizes the manual ejector.

20. Cuando

Cuando Silver $$ Contributor

What was the issue with feeding the .223AI?