Big horn origin action? Reviews?

Discussion in 'Big Stuff -- 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 Cal' started by Garett73, Oct 3, 2018.

1. andrewsben

andrewsben Silver $$ Contributor

Will do. Get people asking me about savage parts all the time. Will keep your 180 in my mind in case something pops up.

2. Garett73

Garett73 Silver $$ Contributor

Appreciate it. Youll see it on here after next week nost likely. Gotta get an elk before i sell it ha ha

3. Evlshnngns

Evlshnngns

A couple of folks have talked highly of these. Any videos of these being cycled, showing some tolerances?

4. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

I have one of the early Goddard TL2 actions. Absolutely no complaints. Best 875.00 I have ever spent. Feeds and cycles flawlessly. I would by another if needed.:D:D

Paul

Delfuego and moondog like this.
  5. reubenski

reubenski

I just finished hunting all week with a 6 Creedmoor built on an Origin action. I really like it. Feels a bit smoother than my two TL-3s. I bought it during the pre-order last February so I paid $750 for it. Best action for the money I ever bought. This one feeds out of the old HS Precision DBM. I don't believe you could go wrong with an Origin.

Attached Files:

6. usmc45

usmc45

That is one sexy rifle. If you dont mind could you share some specs on it and the scope. Thanks.

7. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

L.p.

+1. Great looking rifle! Looking forward to specs including total weight if possible.

Thanks, Paul

8. Lannister

Lannister

My brother pre-ordered the Origin. After seeing the announcement i convinced him to do so over a tikka that we thought we were going to use. The Nucleus is more innovative IMHO but when it comes to an action it's all about personal preference IMHO. 90% of them plain work. We have a TL3 and SR3 for 750$ a TL3 with a pinned lug is a steal. I quite like the bighorns, so that's what i pushed him towards. Though it was also cheaper.

9. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Gold $$ Contributor

Who has the best prices on Big Horn Actions?

10. Jarhead6870

Jarhead6870 Silver $$ Contributor

I have a few Bighorns, AJs TL-2s and Zermatts TL-3s, and have absolutely no complaints. I run the short cased 6BR and Dasher on the control-feed TL-3s without any feeding or ejection issues. The TL-2s are push-feed and used on a 6x47 and 6.5x47. For an action value, the Origin has all the features of the TL-3s but the action bodies are chromoly instead of stainless and they have a pinned recoil lug vs an integrated on like the TL-3s; both have Savage threads. I've not seen any difference in accuracy or function after helping several of our club shooters build rifles with the new Origins; the results from a couple of shouldered pre-fits, Bartleins with Bugnuts and several barrels from Criterion have been outstanding.

I've heard of some guys having bolt binding issues like Eagle1899 but as he stated, "I am a bit rough and ham fisted on stuff. I am not smooth enough not to jam the bolt going forward from full open in the stroke to close. (angular misalignment)". Technique plays an important roll in running a bolt on any rifle; some actions are more forgiving than others. Just watch guys who shoot a Remington 700, as sloppy a fitting bolt as you'll find but some guys can run them fast without binding. I've not had binding issues with either version.

One advantage the Bighorn has, there are other manufactures who offer this as well, is the ability to change bolt heads like a Savage. Cost for a different "head" varies but they are available for .223 (.380) .308 (.478), Magnum (.535) and PPC/SPC/Valkyrie (specify caliber).

As for costs, pricing is pretty standard from the various suppliers. I've gotten mine from AJ (when he was making them), Greg Young at Southern Precision Rifles, Third Generation Shooting Supply and Zermatt. All were easy to deal with and I would purchase from any of them again if needing an action.

Hope this helps...

bullzeyenj and DirtySteve like this.