best way makin 6PPC brass from Lapua 220 R

Discussion in '6PPC, 6-6.5x47, 6XC, 6 Rem, 243' started by mr.big, Feb 7, 2018.

1. mr.big

mr.big

I have an old barrel chambered by same smith with same reamer for same action,,,I read article on the Home Page about loading the 220 Russian brass with a 22 cal bullet and shooting it through a fireform 6PPC bbl and the brass will come out more uniform than necking it up and shooting it with a 6mm bullet,

has anyone tried this,,I need 125 cases and would like to make them without running 125 bullets down my new Krieger barrel,,

2. shoot4fun

shoot4fun Gold $$ Contributor

Get Dj's Brass to hydro form them.

3. mr.big

mr.big

I got the stuff to fire form them and do everything through the old barrel,,just trying to decide which way to do it,,I made the brass for that bbl necking the brass up and turning necks and shooting 68 gr bullets with 24 grs H4198,,it turned out well and lasted longer than the bbl,,

if shooting a 22 bullet before necking it up makes more consistent necks I can do that also,,

I could shoot bullseye and cream of wheat also,,

it`s a .268 neck if that matters

4. delivery_boy

delivery_boy

I prepped and use a K&M expander, sized and loaded them. they shot sub 1/2 MOA during fireforming :D

Delivery_boy

WyleWD likes this.
  5. INShooter

INShooter Silver $$ Contributor

Fire forming the brass with a 22 bullet and H322 to the neck shoulder junction is a good way to prep brass for neck turning. It does straighten out the cases somewhat. You will still need to expand the necks with your neck expander (at least I did) before turning. I have made lots of brass both ways and have never seen much difference in the final product. One other tip is to use a small amount of die wax on the case to help the case expand and not grip the chamber walls during firing.
    Good luck

boltfluter and Tim Singleton like this.
  6. mr.big

mr.big

thanx ,,I think I am gonna try shootin the 22 bullet as the first step then at least most of the necking up will be done,,,then run it over the 6mm mandrel before turning the necks and then run it through my FL size die before firing ,,

hopefully I can get all this done and a load tuned before the 1st Sat in March..

7. BOB LEE SWAGGER

BOB LEE SWAGGER Silver $$ Contributor

+100

8. Damfino

Damfino Gold $$ Contributor

Another +101 for DJ's brass service. Top notch service, quick turnaround, and he's a site sponsor.

9. centershot

centershot Silver $$ Contributor

If you use a .22 bullet, is head spacing a problem? Don't see how you can contact anything on the shoulder and you can not do an over all length jam.

10. INShooter

INShooter Silver $$ Contributor

All of my chambers require me to size the shoulder back slightly using Lapua 220 Russian brass. Therefore I can get a very light shoulder crush to control the headspace. Make sure you bolt lugs are lubed.

Tim Singleton and WyleWD like this.
  11. mr.big

mr.big

I think it is chambered to have a .003 crush on 220 Russian brass so you dont have to even have a bullet to jam ,,it does not blow the shoulder forward at all,

12. dgeesaman

dgeesaman

I chose this option.

A4A94BD8-E90A-45E5-B086-EEBB006882CE.jpeg

13. Pablo

Pablo Silver $$ Contributor

Just fireformed 200 using the 22 bullets in an old 6ppc barrel. I then expanded the necks, neck turned them and final fired them in a new chamber and barrel. The one thing I noticed that was different is that out of that 200 cases only 3 or 4 showed to have much runout during neck turning, the old method I used, just expanding the necks and then neck turning them about half would show quite a bit of runout. Dunno if after the second fireforming they are better or not, they should be.

14. Hammer47

Hammer47 I suffer fools poorly. Silver $$ Contributor

That is EXACTLY what to do.

15. centershot

centershot Silver $$ Contributor

I know this will make you cringe, but if your barrel has a lot of rounds through it but still shoots, Which process would you use? .22 bullets or 6mm bullets? Is the .22 process easier on the barrel because there is no friction?

16. Hammer47

Hammer47 I suffer fools poorly. Silver $$ Contributor

Using 22 in a 6mm bbl is certainly ruination to the bbl but that is why you use a worn out bbl that has a good chamber that was hopefully made with the same reamer as your good target bbl. 6PPC brass made in this way is superior in all respects to brass formed by any other method.

17. gmorris

gmorris Gold $$ Contributor

fyi, DJ 's brass does excellent work and very fast turn around on my PPC brass and will cut to your specs!!

dgeesaman likes this.
  18. geo.ulrich

geo.ulrich beware of owner Gold $$ Contributor

buy norma cases and forget about it

19. kountryboy2

kountryboy2 Gold $$ Contributor

This. When Geo speaks I listen.

thekriebles likes this.
  20. dgeesaman

dgeesaman

I’m no competitor but I bought two boxes of Norma 6PPC this year. Neck thickness (.011) is extremely consistent, far better than Sako and none of the fuss of Lapua.

If you can run an .011 neck I urge you to give Norma a go.