Best spotting scope stand for the money?

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by Nellej12, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Nellej12

Nellej12 Silver $$ Contributor

I'm in need of a new spotting scope stand for F-Class, mainly for scoring. What's the best bang for your buck with out buying junk.

Thanks

Jeff

2. Albany Mountain

Albany Mountain

A camera tripod like a Vivitar would work and not break the bank.

3. Walt Krafft

Walt Krafft Gold $$ Contributor

If you want a truly good stand look at Gear Buggy.

muleystalker and vanwhyjr like this.
  4. 243Lapua

243Lapua Silver $$ Contributor

Manfrotto is what I use. You can get them used at a decent price with swivel head and quick detach CR2 heads. Flea Bay

5. GSS

GSS

What do you use for a spotting scope stand while shooting F Class to watch Mirage and see shot spotters / scoring disc on target ?

If you are only scoring for F Class matches and NOT Shooting anything will do to hold up a spotting scope for scoring only.

What to use while shooting matches is different ?

For shooting I like the Creedmoor Polecat as it gets the spotting scope out away from the stand and close to you so you don't have to break position to check Mirage os shot locations.

https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/1357/Scope-and-Stand-Accessories

This was all recently discussed in this thread
    http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/spotting-scopes.3997374/#post-37702163

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    OH FTR shooter, Dgd6mm, Dub and 2 others like this.
  6. rardoin

rardoin Silver $$ Contributor

Ray-Vin and Gear Buggy are the two best I have worked with. I have a Giraud with the Ray-Vin Outrigger added and it is very good...however....I favor the Ray-Vin as a complete unit and would buy it if I had to get another.

Edit- Negative on the Ray-Vin....I could not buy another as it seems as the owner retired and they are no longer available:(.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    Papa Charlie and J F Johannes like this.
  7. Redd

Redd

Gear Buggy is the last stand you'll even want or need! And Wayne McLeod is one of the best people to work with! Great product , outstanding service!

muleystalker likes this.
  8. JEFFPPC

JEFFPPC Silver $$ Contributor

Your scope is only as good as your mount/stand.

BartsBullets likes this.
  9. XTR

XTR Gold $$ Contributor

I've tried a number. For the most part over the last 9 yrs or so I've used a Creedmoor stand. For about $210 or so you are all set. I think they are about the cheapest for a shooting spotting scope stand.

I've recently switched to a Ray-vin, but as noted they are no longer for sale. I fly to matches so I need to get the weight down on things. The Ray-Vin takes any 1" rod, so I replaced the SS one with carbon fiber. For $26 I dropped to 2½+ lbs from the setup.

I'm sure there are other options for photo tripods that will work. I've seen the one that PJ @Medium rare uses, I believe it's a Carbon Fiber photography tripod.

You need some offset if you use it shooting or the tripod is right where you need to put your left elbow/arm

10. F Class John

F Class John NRA Life Member Gold $$ Contributor

I’ve owned 2 ray-vins, Giraud and GearBuggy. I’m a massive Ray-Vin fan but that ship has sailed. GearBuggy is also amazing but a fair amount heavier for sure and a 1-1/4” pole so just know most other accessories won’t fit it if you wanted to change anything down the line. On the upside the owner is great and he has tons of accessories for it. Giraud is very nice too but my third choice of only for the way it connects to and hold the scope itself.

11. ballisticdaddy

ballisticdaddy Silver $$ Contributor

One more vote for the Ray-Vin especially with the outrigger

12. Papa Charlie

Papa Charlie Gold $$ Contributor

Ray-Vin, you won't find a stouter, more stable unit. Tried the camera tri-pods and they are just not designed to keep a spotting scope stable enough, unless you spend a lot for the high end units. They also take up a lot of space at height which is often a limited resource on behind the firing line.

13. Medium rare

Medium rare

Nellej12 likes this.
  14. BartsBullets

BartsBullets Gold $$ Contributor

For a straight tripod, All are junk compared to a Quickset. Several different models but Sampson is perfect for Benchrest. To get one you’ll have to ferret it off of eBay. Originally made to hold TV cameras.

Bart

15. JBT

JBT

Manfroto or RRS (very expensive).

16. Dub

Dub NRA Life member Gold $$ Contributor

if only using for scoring, anything will work. It is when using for reading mirage while shooting that requires consideration

F Class John likes this.
  17. coldboreshot

coldboreshot

Look into Creedmoor Sports. Either their proprietary or the Polecat.

18. coldboreshot

coldboreshot

Ray-Vins are no longer available. Good luck finding someone to part with theirs. They are becoming difficult to obtain as Warner rear sights and Unicorns.

Nellej12 likes this.