best scope for .17 hmr

Discussion in 'Rimfire & Smallbore' started by rudy16, Mar 17, 2008.

1. rudy16

rudy16

I like the idea behind the BSA sweet 17 but have been getting mixed reviews on the quailty. I want to explore all my options before buying a new scope as I sold my tasco varimtor. Is there anyone who has had good/bad luck with the BSA. Also are there any scopes that work similiarly in in being able to adjust the range quickly. thanks

2. Tommie

Tommie

A couple years ago I was at the Tulsa gun show and stopped at a booth which had nothing but BSA optics. Boxes of new BSA scopes were piled four high and three deep. The vendor invited me to look through some of his scopes,all were new, or so he said). First one I looked through was so blurry it made my head hurt. The second one I looked through had a broken crosshair wire. I didn't bother looking through a third one. Maybe my experience was a bizarre fluke. Or maybe all the scopes this guy was selling were factory seconds. Can't say for sure, but I sure didn't like what I saw.

The old rule of thumb is to spend as much on a scope as you do on the rifle.

Tom

3. B

B

I think that BSA scopes are ok but leupold is the best you can buy.

4. B

B

Look at Leupold's full line of optics at www.leupold.com and find the right optics for your application.

B:cool:

5. jb77

jb77

I have a 2x7 BSA sweet 17 on mine and I am going to replace it. The scope is OK when the light is good,but in low light conditions the scope is lacking.

6. Macs

Macs

I put a sweet 17 on my gun and thought it was wonderful so I bought another and put on my wifes gun, it too was wonderful. Have recommended them to others and only had 2 people have problems with them out of I don't know howmany.

7. blacknwhite

blacknwhite

What ever you do DONT BUY A BSA,BAD SCOPES OF AMERICA)...The reason I say this is because I dont want you to waste your money. I purchased the sweet 17 and the optics were so bad that I sent it back immediately. I then purchased a Bushnell Banner 6-18X50 and love it...Get the Banner and be done, get the sweet 17 and buy twice.

8. hopefullbencher

hopefullbencher

In all seriousness, if money is a concern, get a tasco. I have all leupolds but I used a 3x9 tasco to show a friend that bought a BSA that it was his scope and not the rifle. Even a cheap silver antler is better than a BSA. In my opinion anyway.
    Mike

9. billmo

billmo

If money is the determining factor, I would go with the Super Sniper 20 X over any lower priced scope on the market. The optics are as good as you will find on any other scope in it's price range at $ 300.00 from SWFA and better than a lot of higher price scopes that I have owned. I own,2) of them and have taken out pop bottles filled with water at 500 and 600 yds. with the rifles that they are mounted on. And one of the rifles is a 16" plain barrel AR-15 .223 with a F F handguard Upper on a RRA A-4 Varminter Lower. Just my opinion. Bill

10. coupalr

coupalr

Get a burris fullfield II

11. gambleone

gambleone Site $$ Contributor

Whats the distance you are shooting?

12. 4570sharpshooter

4570sharpshooter

I have the Savage 93r17 - 17hmr and I put the Nikon buckmaster 4.5x14sf in silver on this gun. It's variable,but it still has some long distance capability. I wanted the mil-dot in this scope,but it comes in matte only. 45/70ss

13. tuck2

tuck2

I like the three bars below the cross hairs on the Burris Fullfeild II 4.5-14 X BPLEX w A/O on my 17 HMR. When sited at 100 Yds the first bar is on at 150 Yds, 2nd bar at 200 Yds and the 3rd bar is on 250 Yds when shooting the 17 Gr bullet and the scope is set at 14 X.

14. CAT977

CAT977

I have had no problems with my BSA 6-18-40 have put over 400 rounds out there with it and over 300yds here she is

Attached Files:

15. mwood

mwood

If you want a lower price scope that is less than 16x / variable, I would check out the top end Simmons/ Atec
    ,not the cheaper Simmons). They make a lot of scopes for other companies under other names. Atec uses an advanced lens manufacturing process that was developed on lenses,eg. also astronomy) in the last couple of years. Basically it involes grinding lenses in a non sperical fashion to allow less lenses to get the same job done. As a result, the assembly produces very clear/ good images out to the edge of the field.
    My simons was under $200. I bought one for my 17HMR and its image quality competes with my Nikon Monarch of similar size. The Monarch image is superior to a more expensive Leupold.,Thats why I bought it).

16. Jmwat49

Jmwat49

I Originally put the BSA Sweet 17's on my 17HMR's. Althought they are adequate the old addage "$100 Scope witha $50 rifle is better than a $50 scope on a $100 rifle" holds true the better the optics the better your overall results will be. I now have a Refurbished Nikon Monarch 6 X 20 and a Refurbished Burris 6 X 20 that I use for Praire Dogs and they are very effective out to about 175 yard which is a good limit for the 17 HMR. The BSA's were cloudy and did not do as well in all areas.

17. MrMister

MrMister

The Nikon 6x18x44 is the ticket for any 17HMR. Great glass, quality construction, and great warranty.

You'll have full crystal clear field of view at any power and you'll see those rats explode in vivid color.

I had problems with my first one but Nikon took care of me and sent a new one.

Great scopes for the money!

BSA ='s a waste of money in my opinion, I had 2 on my 17HMR and would have been money ahead if I'd bought the Nikon first.