Best Scope for 100-300 Benchrest on a 6ppc?

Discussion in '6PPC, 6-6.5x47, 6XC, 6 Rem, 243' started by Ccrider, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Ccrider

Ccrider Silver $$ Contributor

p.s.----If not...gotta drill? Lol!

Funny you say that. I was wondering if there was an orthodox way to remove a little weight from the stock?

gunsandgunsmithing likes this.
  2. Ccrider

Bat Rings weigh 3.68 ounces. Assuming 2.2 for the 2 piece ring and bases, I will drop 1.48 which would get me there.

3. johara1

johara1

you change to those you will be close, if you need a little more weight off and it has a Jewel trigger change it to a Bix N Andy. The other thing does it have a weight tube under the butt plate?..... Jim

4. Ccrider

Checked that first. No weight tube.

5. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

I think you're gonna be ok with a ring swap but most people will take a bit out of the butt, under the plate, or barrel channel, if needed.

Ccrider likes this.
  6. johara1

johara1

The Bix N Andy will give you almost an oz. under the Jewel..... Jim

Ccrider likes this.
  7. gunsandgunsmithing

gunsandgunsmithing The best tuners and wind flags on the market Gold $$ Contributor

Yes Jim,
    Jewell BR=2.3oz
    Bix n Andy=1.5oz

That's roughly $470/ounce :eek:

joshb, Ccrider and jimmymac like this.
  8. jimmymac

jimmymac Silver $$ Contributor

That must be some good chit!

9. JimPag

JimPag Silver $$ Contributor

I agree Mike. Not very cost effective for the little amount that you save. There are cheaper ways to lose a few ounces. I didn't spend 5 grand worth of B&A triggers to save weight.

Ccrider and gunsandgunsmithing like this.
  10. gunsandgunsmithing

I agree Jim..They are very good triggers. You know my opinion on this. Basically, if they don't improve my scores, I don't think spending $400 for a trigger is money well spent. I know you do, though. If you think it matters...then it really does matter and that's that. I've been shooting Jewells for as long as I can remember and(knock on wood) have never had one to fail on me. Their weakness is pierced primers. The cure is pretty obvious...Don't pierce primers! Lol!

Ccrider likes this.
  11. JimPag

JimPag Silver $$ Contributor

Your right Mike it's how I feel about something that counts. If you believe in your mind that it works better, (whether it really does or doesn't) the mind plays a real big factor in how you shoot. Perfect example 2017. Dad passed away in February of that year and I was very depressed. One of the guy's that I shot with up here put a 357 in his mouth and pulled the trigger in March. Mom busted her hip same day as Grosbier died which was May 12th same day as I was traveling to a 2 day state Match in VT. I just couldn't get my head together from the time of our 1st match up here which is the 1st weekend in April. I struggled all the way to mid July and just said fck it. Took 4 weeks off and one day in August something came over me and I really felt like shooting again. I can't explain it but something in the back of my mind said go out there and give em Hell. Well the last 7 shoots that I shot I did extremely well. Just shows you the power of the mind.

12. Ccrider

13. johara1

johara1

Before you start drilling the wrong end to loose weight, check the balance first. you may need to take it out of the front end..... Jim

14. johara1

johara1

Not even close, He could sell you the Jewell and get a good trigger. I remember that Kelblys was charging 50.00 to make the Jewell useable. I also remember fire forming cases and the trigger parts falling on the bench when a Fed primer blanked...... Jim

15. gunsandgunsmithing

Jim, I came to that number based on the difference in price between the two.
    $400-$165=$235/.5ozs.=$470 per ounce.

Not that it matters much. I was just having fun with the numbers.
    As to you breaking your trigger...blanking primers is not a normal operating condition. It indicates there is a problem elsewhere..be it load, primer, fp spring or bolt needing bushed.

But don't take it so seriously. Smile and go have a good day!

16. johara1

johara1

Mike, nothing wrong with the Bat just a bad lot of Feds. But what you didn't list on Jewell was what it cost to get them to work or the time of stoning the burrs and taking the bends out of the side plates.... lol... Jim

17. gunsandgunsmithing

I do typically go over mine but I have never yet seen one that was problematic. Yes, it can be improved upon slightly with a little time but it works pretty dang good out of the box, Jim. I know you don't like them but my only point is not that it's as good as a Bix but that the difference is not enough to change my scores in real life. That's all. My money is not what I'd like it to be and I have to spend it on things that actually improve my scores. I have not seen that with anything over a Jewell yet. It could happen.

18. johara1

johara1

Yes, but I have jerk your chain once in awhile..... LMAO.... Buy once cry once.... Jim

19. johara1

johara1

A new set of eyes would help more than a hummer barrel...lol...jim