Best rings in YOUR opinion.

Discussion in 'Scopes, Optics, LRFs, Spotters, BoreScopes' started by Eternal Student, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Eternal Student

Eternal Student Silver $$ Contributor

I run Badger steel rings and have had ZERO problems with them. I bought some NF rings 5 years ago and had some movemnet which blew my mind bc my rifle had moderate recoil IMO. I'm not harping on NF so don't get your panties in a bunch just telling you my experience with their rings. I run their scopes on all my rifles but not their rings.

I also was given a new set of Seekins rings and I REALLY like the design of them.

Thoughts? What rings do you run?

2. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold $$ Contributor

ARC M10, in my opinion

3. Papa Charlie

Papa Charlie Gold $$ Contributor

I use Burris Extreme rings on all my rifles. Six screw, holds scope solidly and in perfect alignment.

4. natdscott

natdscott P100, HM, DR, experienced beginner. Gold $$ Contributor

Kelbly and Farrell.

But Burris Signature are quite serviceable, depending on your purpose.

Lone Hunter likes this.
  5. Dud

Dud

ARCs are very nice.

In general, since scope tubes are usually aluminum, I like aluminum rings but their weak spot is usually the female threads in the base that hold the cap on. If you can find rings with a thread insert, that failure mode is solved. Some rings have the aluminum under the countersink in the caps too thin so it can pull out. A good ring will have some meat there to prevent that.

A good recoil lug and mounting hardware are what keeps it from moving.

With a good aluminum ring, I like a nice aluminum rail. I'm not 100% sure about this but I feel like aluminum is soft enough that a good ring will bite in and move less than an aluminum ring on a steel rail.

There are lots of rings that will work. I'm going to try a pair of $28 Vortex 6 screw rings next (a budget build). I will ream them to ensure proper alignment and may add thread inserts later.

6. 69mach

69mach Silver $$ Contributor

I like my badger and nf rings. If weight isn’t an problem like on my defiance deviant 300 wsm, I use badger steel max50 rings and the deviant has the integrated 20 moa base so there is almost nothing that can shift on me plus With running a khales scope there has never been an unpleasant tracking or holding zero problem.

338 dude and JEFFPPC like this.
  7. golong

golong

Best rings: Seekins Precision (in use, won't sell)
    Best one piece mount for hunting: Spuhr (sold - don't hunt anymore)
    Best one piece for precision rifle: Spuhr (sold - switched to MPA chassis so did not need the built-in level)
    Best one piece for the money: Masterpiece Arms (in use)

8. 46and2

46and2

Do you lap your rings?
    Even the best rings mounted on the best one piece rail mounted on an imperfectly machined action will have less than 50% ring/scope tube contact.
    The first time I lapped rings I was shocked. Now I bed my base and lap my rings.

9. Sniper338

Sniper338

10. Delfuego

Delfuego Silver $$ Contributor

Hard to beat a used set of Badger, MarkIV or Seekins for around $100. I have ARC rings and they are no better and close to twice the price.
    Check out Hawkins Precision. Andy makes excellent rings for hunting or competition rifles.
    For a 1-Piece mount, you will find none better that Near MFG. They are extremely high quality.

11. Ledd Slinger

Ledd Slinger Gold $$ Contributor

Spuhr is top of the list in my book. Nothing tougher and best design for full visibility of all turrets

Willow and Kratos like this.
  12. Eternal Student

Eternal Student Silver $$ Contributor

Obviously you are talking about the NF rings since you "can't" lap steel rings-or so I been told. I did lap them but to be honest it was my first set I used my
    Sinclair lapping tool/compound on so I prolly didn't do the best job but it looked like I had good/plenty of surface contact. Looking back I remember them saying
    NOT to lap them bc it would void some warranty?? I guess it always boils down to YOUR experience with a brand/product.
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my post.

338 dude likes this.
  13. 46and2

46and2

My best advice is to bed a quality one piece base with Devcon 10110, mount the rings and use contact fluid or even a Sharpie and use a lapping bar to see what kind of contact surface you get.

The ideal scenario is a perfectly machined action with built in rail machined into the same block of steel as the rest of the action.

In actuality you cant be 100% positive that our scope tubes are perfectly true either.

14. Dud

Dud

Reamers work quicker and aren't as messy as lapping. They work on steel rings too but that takes some effort.

As for steel rails, you want everything to remain properly aligned but if you drop a rifle on the scope, I would rather have a few aluminum parts that might give a bit than focus all of the impact in to an expensive scope.

15. Raythemanroe

Raythemanroe Bullet Whisperer Silver $$ Contributor

Burris

Ray

hogpatrol and jghoghunter like this.
  16. KY-Windage

KY-Windage

Burris XTR Signatures on all my NF's. Their plastic inserts give me up to 40 MoA of adjustment in any direction I want. They hold well and never mar a finish.

hogpatrol and jghoghunter like this.
  17. jghoghunter

jghoghunter Gold $$ Contributor

This seems so simple i have a hard time understanding going thru all the bs of lapping etc. I use other rings but only because i have to. We also have used them on a Barrett 50 with a NightForce BR and they held up just fine.

hogpatrol and jimmymac like this.
  18. boltfluter

boltfluter Gold $$ Contributor

Burris Signature rings on all mine. 100% contact, can pre-load 20 moa, and never any scope damage. Reasonably priced as well. Kind of a no brainer and they never move. :D:D

Paul

hogpatrol, jimmymac, Gonzos and 3 others like this.
  19. Vodoun daVinci

Vodoun daVinci

Vortex Precision Matched rings for me.

VooDoo

20. Pinetreebbs

Pinetreebbs

Tally made right here in South Carolina.