BEST PRIMING TOOL (NOT SINGLE LOAD) WITH TRAY

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by group therapy, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Joe R

Joe R Gold $$ Contributor

I'm an F-Class shooter and I have been using this for years, works on small and large primers. You can pay more but you won't get a better tool, in my opinion.

Capture 05.JPG

SPJ likes this.
  2. boltfluter

boltfluter

The K&M tool is great if you don't mind one at a time. Been running one for years. You won't find a better tool in its price range.:D:D

Paul

SPJ likes this.
  3. group therapy

group therapy Silver $$ Contributor

I feel like as long as the seating tool has "good feel" to it there is little to no advantage to the single load, however, I have never had a single load tool and most of the "premium" tools are single load. part of the issue here is I don't know what I don't knowo_O bryant

danny and SPJ like this.
  4. damoncali

damoncali Gold $$ Contributor

I wouldn't dismiss them then. Before I got one I was pretty sure I didn't want one. But my RCBS tray model was such a pain in the ass and of such poor quality that I finally chucked it and bought a 21st century single load model expecting to pay a price in speed/convenience. I was surprised to find that I actually prefer the single loading. The inconvenience of single loading is no where near what I expected and it doens't slow me down materially, and I actually prefer not screwing around with the trays. Loading 200 cases is not much of a chore. I'm also a bit paranoid about primer safety, so there's an appeal to me in not having a tray full of primers pointed at the back of my hand.

The are are only two reasons not to get a single load in my view. One is if you have arthritis or for whatever reason have trouble picking up primers repeatedly. The other is if you are loding huge numbers of cases, in which case, I wouldn't use any hand priming system. Otherwise, give them a look. I only have experience with the 21st century single load, but it's a very good tool. It's much, much better than the lee and RCBS tray loaders, which I've also used.

5. Medic505

Medic505 Dean Wheeler Gold $$ Contributor

I just ordered one of these to try. I hopes it's better thought out than their new and improved hand primer. Only thing I don't like about the Forster primer is you have to change set up switching from .223 to .308.

6. Peebles24

Peebles24 Gold $$ Contributor

I have the frankfort arsenal tool, only one i have ever had. So i cant say anything about any others. I can say the frankfort is heavy, feels like it will last a lifetime. I can definitely feel if a primer pocket is different tension. Depth is easy to adjust. I use a km primer pocket reamer so my pockets are one set depth, I set my primer tool and the primers are all set to same tension. They tray has the litlle bumps in the bottom so dump on primers give it a few shakes and they are all sitting in the proper orientation.

I think it is a great tool, is it the best, i have no idea but im very happy with it.

Prose likes this.
  7. RatRifle

RatRifle

Uh Oh! Did you say "tension" Here comes the Guffster

Puzzaz01, Prose, SPJ and 1 other person like this.
  8. C.E.Smith043

C.E.Smith043 Gold $$ Contributor

I got one also, have been very pleased with it

9. 3Ackleys

3Ackleys Silver $$ Contributor

I have used the Frankford for over a year and it is WAY better than RCBS, LEE or Hornady. Fast and precise.

10. Woodchk

Woodchk Gold $$ Contributor

I have used several different ones I finally bought the 21st century would purchase again .

11. TIMO

TIMO Silver $$ Contributor

I agree, the K&M is great, I also use a Forster when I load LC brass.
    Tim

boltfluter likes this.
  12. Puzzaz01

Puzzaz01 Gold $$ Contributor

Plus plus plus for the Lyman.

Darrin

13. Steve morgan

Steve morgan

Rcbs bench model works best for me

muleystalker, pacificman and McGraw like this.
  14. Ccrider

Ccrider Silver $$ Contributor

Lee is faster. But boy does the 21st century seem more precise. Makes you feel like you are seating them all exactly the same.

15. MN50Shooter

MN50Shooter

I uniform all of my primer pockets, and all of my primers are seated fully, and to the same depth. I could see inconsistencies with primer depths and seating, if the pockets are not uniformed.

If the pockets aren't uniformed, it won't matter a great deal, what seating tool is used.

danny and 1shot like this.
  16. 1shot

1shot Site $$ Sponsor

Logically, this make sense to me. I uniform my P pockets as well, so in theory, any seating tool that put the primer to the bottom of the cup will be doing its job. I'm currently using the RCBS hand primer, so am I missing something here?

Lloyd

danny likes this.
  17. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE Gold $$ Contributor

Youre missing the feel. Sure both will shove a primer in there but to feel when the anvils touch takes a good tool. The off the shelf tools wont do it no matter how much we wish they will. You get a machine such as the 21st century, turned from a billet of stainless steel with an adjustable stroke down to the thousandth its a whole nother level from a cast piece thatll flex twice that just running the primer in. Its just a whole nother level that may not be necessary for you- i prefer the nicer things myself but its just a personal preference

LVLAaron likes this.
  18. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

What's you opinion on K&M hand primers

19. damoncali

damoncali Gold $$ Contributor

I'm not convinced that the feel matters, but you can definitely get a more precise feeling of how easily the primer seated with the quality tools (as opposed to the cheaper pot metal ones made by the big reloading companies).

20. jimmymac

jimmymac Silver $$ Contributor

...yet, if you read Tony Boyer’s book he says he used a cheap Lee Auto Prime.

I use a Sinclair single feed. It’s a nice tool, but when my hands are hurting the whole operation feels clumsy. Getting old is fun.

danny likes this.