Best Pocket Knife

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by onelastshot, Aug 8, 2019.

1. rjtfroggy

rjtfroggy Silver $$ Contributor

I've been carrying a Buck "Muskcrat" for years. Can't lose it because they dom't make them anymore.

2. Lucky Shooter

Lucky Shooter Gold $$ Contributor

Case Granddaddy Barlow-----if you can find one.

A. Weldy

3. Dud

Dud

I have bought decent $30 Chinese knives. Anything cheaper (including free) has been disappointing in one or many aspects. I have bought good US made folding knives with good steel for $60, probably a few cheaper and a handful in the $90-240 range.

The $210 that spread covers buys a lot of quality, fit and finish, design and better materials. On the other hand, they are all production knives, not custom. A nice custom folder starts around $500 and the sky is the limit, $1,000+ is common and $4,000 is not unheard of.

It's like a Rolex vs a Seiko vs a Casio vs something out of a Cracker Jack box.

They all tell time (hopefully) and there is plenty of justification at each price point.

The $135 dollar (clearance price) US made knife I just ordered won 2013 Blade Show Knife of the Year. The closest an NRA giveaway knife can get to an award is if you cut one out of a can of PBR.

You might not notice the difference opening up an Amazon box but if you ever use it more strenuously and pay attention, you would see.

mikeinct likes this.
  4. onelastshot

onelastshot Gold $$ Contributor

Yes I'm still reading these and yes I purchased a knife, a CiViVi, Courser. With shipping it was $70.00.

davidjoe likes this.
  5. Dud

Dud

My Wilson Combat Hogue knife just arrived.

The handle is very comfortable, it is nice and flickable, locks up tight. I can see that there are steel reinforcements inside the G10 handle slabs but the only thing you touch is the nicely contoured G10 and the pocket clip which you barely notice.

It's the 4" blade model and it is pretty big, the 3.5" model would be plenty big for most purposes and a little more discreet but that wasn't on sale.

The only negative I see so far is that the left handed side of the ambi-thumb stud hangs up a little on my pocket. Maybe it's just better retention? Not a big deal and might make it less likely to fall out of my pocket.

I've never seen a China knife that can compare.

It's nicer than the Benchmades that I now regret purchasing.

I like the spider hole and ball bearing lock of my Spyderco Manix a lot but the Hogue ergonomics probably beat it.

The 3.5" version that sells for around $200 looks like it would be a damn good deal for anyone that wants to step up in to a high end production knife.

At $140 shipped, the one I got was a great deal.

There are reasons why a custom folder can cost $1,000 or more but I don't think many people would feel like this Hogue is not a worthy EDC.

mikeinct and CT10ring like this.
  6. mikeinct

mikeinct

A Good buddy of mine just started repping for Hogue knifes & grips this year. I got to help him select the samples for his display cases. For the money right now I would say Hogue is one of the best made USA knifes. Really well built. They have a certain heft, a feel of solid quality. Plenty Sharp from the factory. The folders have a great safety feature built right in. mike in ct

7. fantastic

fantastic

How about a Benchmade Mini-Grip? Inexpensive at $60, but a great knife, great profile, and the locking mechanism is solid. You might need to sharpen the knife once you receive it - Benchmade isn't known for their factory sharp knives. Overall, it's a great knife that meets all of your needs, and more importantly, you can buy it at most outdoor/knife shops.

8. Dud

Dud

But Benchmade is known for contributing to anti-gun lobbying efforts.

I like Spyderco a lot in the $60+ range and there are other quality options as you increase your budget that aren't anti-gun.

I have an inkling that Hogue is never going to be anti-gun...

mikeinct likes this.
  9. mikeinct

mikeinct

You got that right. Dam shame about BM knifes. Mike

10. Dud

Dud

I think I found a Chinese knife that might match the quality of a good US made knife:

The Reate T4000

It looks very nice but $400.

That gets you Bohler M390 steel and a titanium handle, steel lock insert, ceramic bearings, etc. What got me is the false edge spear point blade grind with central Fuller, very sexy and the way the handle is cut makes the flipper much lower profile.

I have to say I like the push button lock on my Hogue better than the frame lock. I just like a solid handle and it's easier to close one handed. Other than that, it looks really nice.

With that said, I don't have $400 for a pocket knife right now but it's making my short list...

mikeinct likes this.
  11. DaveTooley

DaveTooley Silver $$ Contributor

I've carried a small automatic Benchmade for 10 years now. I'd recommend a serrated blade. If you need it and don't have it you're screwed and it doesn't get in the way.
    It's my understanding BM contributed to a local politician. Name one politician in Portland that's not anti-gun leaning. Not everything is black and white.

https://www.benchmade.com/afo-ii-family.html

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  12. Pwc

Pwc

If you've never felt the need to carry before, and you aren't sure what you will do with one now, I suggest the bigger question is get one that won't wear a hole in your pocket.

13. JRanum

JRanum

Carried a CRKT Pazoda now for 6 years on the farm everyday...But when I travel its a Boker Ak47 automatic, Hell of a knife for 30 bucks.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019