Best Pocket Knife

Discussion in 'Gear Talk: What to Buy? and Gear Evaluations' started by onelastshot, Aug 8, 2019.

1. muleman69

muleman69 USMC -1st marine Div. RVN Gold $$ Contributor

Can't leave home without my knife. Gerber fast draw clipped on jeans is an everyday carry in the brush or in Walmart. Super sharp

2. KentuckyFisherman

KentuckyFisherman

Rather than emphasizing a brand, I'm going to recommend a style. I suggest you start with a medium-size 3-blade stockman-style pocketknife. Myself, I've carried this style in a Schrade Old Timer for 30-40 years. Schrade was bought out and the new ones aren't as good as the old ones, so you might switch over to Case. With three blades, you can abuse one on some heavy-duty task and still have two with sharp edges. Look at this style in a Case and pick whatever handle color and material appeals to you.

hpshooter and hogpatrol like this.
  3. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

Or let it yank out your precious Spyderco and launch it into the snow, never to be seen again

hogpatrol likes this.
  4. snert

snert Gold $$ Contributor

I have an old Spyderco like the Boss mentioned. Zytel handle, partial serration. Bought my first one for $29 to slip in my left trouser pocket for that last ditch moment if some dirtball was trying to disarm me I could pop it out and gut the bunny, so to speak. Lost it to my patrol car seatbelt, which I think grabbed it and tossed it out in the snow when I was hurrying out after a dirtball...

I bought another from Ebay, for like $70, just cause they don't make that old Zytel handle one anymore. The good news is I still carry it, and besides ripping open few pairs of pants/shirts on patients at serious accident scenes and a bunch of hot pepperoni and cheese, it has never been used in anger. It is still sharp.

mikeinct, 6ShotsOr5? and hogpatrol like this.
  5. dhamby

dhamby

There really is no “best” but so many options. I’m into Blades about as much as guns, feel free to send me a PM. Hate to say but there is a lot of poor information that’s been posted here. I’d be happy to go over and discuss lock types, deployment type, blade steel, etc.

If you don’t want to pm at least give me a budget. You can get a cheap gas station special for $20 all the way up to $20k plus customs.

rammac and ckrifles like this.
  6. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

If you want something fancy these are real beauties . They have great steel and handle material is endless,I really dig the Masur Birch.They feel good in the hand,I use them in the kitchen along with pocket carry.

upload_2019-8-9_5-52-58.png

[​IMG]

Bob L., bugman, mikeinct and 4 others like this.
  7. 6ShotsOr5?

6ShotsOr5? Gold $$ Contributor

Yep, had a cheap buck folder maybe $20 for the last 8-10 years, airport security got it about a month ago. Bought another as close as I could find but it was up to $25. I’ve got a Gerber an an Old Timer too but I like the Buck because of the hole in the handle so I can keep it with my keys.

mikeinct and joshb like this.
  8. joshb

joshb Gold $$ Contributor

What’s the limit on zucchini? Are you hunting them at night, hence the cat?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Ccrider likes this.
  9. 338 dude

338 dude Silver $$ Contributor

36E4E313-6E75-43EB-B68D-78B7F25F1D22.jpeg
    You hit the nail on the head there are several knives that are more expensive and maybe a little fancier but to me a knife is a tool I use it hard and re-sharpened it all the time the Steel is very good takes a good edge it as a belt clip easy to open with the thumb and they’re only about $20 from Walmart by two or three if it gets lost no big deal

10. Leo Smith

Leo Smith Gold $$ Contributor

Kalashnikov..[​IMG]

mikeinct likes this.
  11. nmkid

nmkid Gold $$ Contributor

What are them green critters you slew with your ole shotgun? How do you cook them??

12. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

Old Timer 3 blader.

mikeinct likes this.
  13. BW

BW Silver $$ Contributor

I've always had a fascination with knives and have carried one daily for as long as I remember. My mom likes to tell story's of me taking butter knives home from restaurants when I was too young to know better (still with butter on them of course).
    I've owned and carried a lot of pocket knives and have a fairly big collection. I tend to use them for things I shouldn't and definitely abuse them at work. As of late I've been really happy with Sog. I prefer the Flash II model, lock back folder, open assist, fair price, durable , and pockets clips are stronger than most. I'd say buy something midrange price wise. Not too cheap that it won't hold up but not too expensive.......odds are you'll loose a few.

14. hogpatrol

hogpatrol Don't criticize the farmer with your mouth full. Gold $$ Contributor

Here you go. Pick your poison.

https://www.smkw.com/knives

15. Knotwild

Knotwild Silver $$ Contributor

Ontario Knife, RatII, D2 steel. $34.95, made in Taiwan. Light, one handed open with the flick of the wrist, one handed close. The design makes it very secure and stable in your hand. This is my personal favorite for the time being, but I had to learn to sharpen it correctly.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Ontario-RAT-Model-2-Liner-Lock--79699

In reality, Stepsjframe is right. Buy two of these really cuts well and you don't have to learn how to sharpen a knife.
    https://www.ebay.com/bhp/gerber-eab

16. Downhill

Downhill

buy once cry once. Take a look at the Moore Makers Knife. Most still have the high carbon steel blades. Easy to sharpen and they hold an edge. As close to an all out custom you can buy. Several different models to fill any need. Made in Matador Texas. I carry a small yellow bone handle folder every day and a small stag handle fixed blade in the horizontal sheath for the times my wife makes me dress "nice".

17. dogdude

dogdude Egan O'Brien Gold $$ Contributor

IMG_1206.JPG This is what I'm taking about..the serrations, Cuts through everything.

MikeT49 likes this.
  18. davidjoe

davidjoe Skunkworks Gold $$ Contributor

OP, I’m just curious if you finally bought a pocket knife. Alright, I also have these questions, too :)):

1) do you actually work for a knife company;

2) what first pocket knife does a grown man choose absent parental influence;

3) are you still reading these.

mikeinct, GSS and hogpatrol like this.
  19. MikeT49

MikeT49 Gold $$ Contributor

Buck 425 w/partial serrated blade. Very light weight folder, fits in watch pocket. The serrations make cutting cordage, seat belts, etc a breeze. In a pinch, you can gut a deer with one.

dogdude likes this.
  20. Clark

Clark

Over the past 15 years I progressed: Buck -> Kershaw -> SOG -> Benchmade -> Spyderco

That was not 5 knives. That was more like 50 knives.