Best/Most Economical Place To Get An Action Trued and Blueprinted

Discussion in 'Gun Project Questions & Gunsmithing' started by Bubba1, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Bubba1

Bubba1 Silver $$ Contributor

Is there one outfit that stands head and shoulders above the rest? Or are all of them more or less equally capable / economical? Any info would be appreciated.

2. rkittine

rkittine Gold $$ Contributor

I have been happy with Doyle Anglin of Dixie Gun who has done two of them for me. 706-654-8400 doylebbang@windstream.net

Bob

LA50SHOOTER likes this.
  3. Bubba1

Bob, where is he located and how much does he charge to do a Remington 700?

4. Dgd6mm

Dgd6mm Silver $$ Contributor

I'm watching...

5. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

I know several that do it. Do you know what needs to actually be done? Unless you know what each smith considers a remachined receiver, you can get a wide difference in prices. If you have a late model receiver, it would for sure be a waste of your money as the are CNC machined. Also, to make it worth your time the bolt needs to have a bushing attached to the bolt in front of the bolt handle and machined to fit your new reamed raceway. OR! buy a new bolt with the right dimension.
    My opinion is if you don't go all the way, you are throwing money down a deep hole.

PatMiles, Greyfox, tmwinds and 4 others like this.
  6. Bubba1

Butch, do you know where to have this done and how much it would cost on a Remington 700?

7. GenePoole

GenePoole

From what I have see of the later CNC machining, it cuts both ways. While the raceway, lug, and face alignment/perpendicularity is much better, the threading can be way off. I've been told that the newer RR receivers are thread-milled. I believe they probably move them to another machine for the threading (lathe to VMC). I've seen threads off-center to the raceway by as much as 8-10 thousandths.

8. butchlambert

butchlambert Site $$ Sponsor

Sir, several smiths do all or a part job. You just need to know exactly what they are doing for you. I have not a clue about pricing, but a top notch job will be over $250.

9. Bubba1

$300.00 is my limit, as long as the job is done right. My smith I used to do my last 2 builds claims to blueprint them himself, and the guns have not shot. Do you know of a place that will do a top notch job for $300.00 or less?

10. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Gold $$ Contributor

Check Long Rifles Inc website. They offer two different levels of action truing. One alters the thread diameter. The recently added a 5 axis cnc machine to the shop.

swehrman likes this.
  11. Pawnee Bill

Pawnee Bill

"Best and Most Economical" do not necessarily go together in the gunsmith world. Quality machining for an accurate rifle is not cheap.

Concha, BIG D and Snuggie like this.
  12. Bubba1

I didn't mean cheap. I just thought there might be a happy medium. I have done business with LRI before. If I choose to get actions done, they are probably who I will go with.

13. Bamban

Bamban Silver $$ Contributor

20190225_170511.jpg
    20190225_181058.jpg
    20190225_213709.jpg Mike Bryant did mine while I watched. Single pointed the threads, bolt face, and the lugs. It was a 7 hour drive from Austin to Wheeler, but it was well worth it just to watch while he explained the whys and hows of the process. I learned a lot.

http://www.bryantcustom.com/articles/true.htm

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  14. rkittine

Give Doyle a call. He is in Georgia. I think they were each $275.00 for the Blue-Printing.

Bob

15. rkittine

I think Doyle charged $275.00 each. He is in Georgia, give him a call. He is better at answering phones than E-mail.

Bob

16. Sniper338

Sniper338

Sell your action, use that money, and the money youd spend truing and buy a custom action.

Best free advice youll ever get.

snert, Concha, Cloudrepair and 9 others like this.
  17. Clancy

Clancy Silver $$ Contributor

I wanted to say this so bad, haha.

I mean, if the 700 belonged to Grandpa that’s totally understandable. Otherwise, I can’t imagine anyone bothering with them anymore.

Concha and Dgd6mm like this.
  18. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

Blueprinting will make a 700 almost as good as a custom action. If you can do the work yourself its a great deal

Concha, Cloudrepair, nmkid and 2 others like this.
  19. tobnpr

tobnpr

^^^ This.
    For about a grand, many of the respectable 700 clones will rival a full "trueing" job in terms of concentricity and perpendicularity. Full monty trueing- including boring the bolt raceway and bushing or replacing the bolt will run about the same, with the cost of a factory action included.

Now, go to sell the rifle... A used stick with a Defiance or Stiller will bring more than a smith trued action, and will not require barrels with oversize thread tenons as will the trued factory action.

Concha and butchlambert like this.
  20. Sniper338

Sniper338

These are very key words.