Best lube

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by dbaird, Jan 25, 2019.

1. OLEJOE

OLEJOE

I use RCBS II with the pad. Dry brush the necks with nylon brush. Just reformed 50 300WM cases down to 7mmRM. No harder than resizing fired cases. Use Imperial lube on my neck turning mandrels and Expander mandrels. Clean it up with 91% isopropyl alcohol. Use Q tips in the necks and roll the cases on a wet paper towel. I have used the RCBS/pad for 45 years. Still using the same dies that came with my press in 1974.

2. Dusty Stevens

Dusty Stevens COVFEFE- Thread Derail Crew Gold $$ Contributor

I cant think of anybody i know that doesnt use imperial

Mad_Charlie, J F Johannes and foxguy like this.
  3. sbhooper

sbhooper

Hornady One Shot. Put a handful of cases in a zip lock, spray in some One Shot, shake and roll a bit, let sit for a couple minutes and resize. Never had an issue. I don't do the inside of the neck.

4. Papa Charlie

Papa Charlie Gold $$ Contributor

I went from RCBS case lube to One Shot back to Imperial Wax to RCBS to Redding water soluble lube and have been there ever since.
    I grew up using RCBS traditional lube and it had always worked, but found it hard to remove and it seem that some would end up in the neck of the case. When I reloaded for hunting I didn't care. But as I have gotten into competition over the last 2-3 years I have been concerned with the possibility of affecting the performance of the powder and varying the resistance on the bullet seating area between rounds.
    I have used One Shot from Hornady, originally for pistol rounds (45ACP mostly) and tried it on my match rifle rounds. Again I was concerned about potentially variations in rounds from the lube getting into the necks. Additionally, I ended up with a case getting stuck in my FL die, which I ended up ruining trying to get it out. Plus, the way I was brought up was to remove all lube from the cases exterior and this got tiring on my hands and wrists.
    I tried the Imperial Wax but found that while it lubed the cases well, and I could control the wax from getting into the case, it was hard to remove. Also, I found it difficult to remove from the die during cleaning. Same issue I have found with RCBS and One Shot.
    I finally found Redding water soluble. I like this, the lube is easily removed with water alone but I also add a little Dawn dish soap. Because it dissolves in water, I don't have to do any wiping or scrubbing. My hands an wrists are happy for that. Any lube that might find its way into the case is dissolved so I don't have to worry about that either. It lubes the cases and the resistance of running a case into my FL die feels just like the RCBS traditional.

So for me, I have settled on the Redding Water Soluble lube. This is my experience and I am sure that others have had different experiences and opinions. I am only stating my experience.

5. Trevor60

Trevor60

depending on your process. determines the lube i use

When I steel pin tumble, after FL sizing; and my lube is dish soap (Dawn platinum). I wear nitrite gloves less messy and apply a dab of soap to the gloves and role the case to get an even implication. FL size then put them in a plastic grocery bag.
    When i get to 100-200 case i put them in the tumbler with a bit more soap and leminshine, tumble 20 min (30 min or less) rinse in water then dry with compressed air. Done.

I wipe down the inside of the die to remove any soap.

If i am hand cleaning no tumbling i use imperial wax, still wear nitrite gloves, apply the wax to the gloves and role the case to get an even implication; far less wax is used as it is thicker then soap. FL size and then paper towel the cases.

I prefer the soap method as i find it has a thinner film and more even coating of the case.

Shooting F class, i resize 100+ cases at a time.

Thanks
    Trevor

6. Zero333

Zero333 Silver $$ Contributor

Hornady 1-shot case lube !
    I'm sure I've sized 100,000+ cases with the stuff over the years and never had a stuck case.
    Read and FOLLOW the instructions written on the can and you'll never use anything else.

FlipBrass1.jpg
    Use card stock paper ( I'm sure regular paper might work too but would require more attention ).

FlipBrass2.jpg

FlipBrass3.jpg

FlipBrass4.jpg
    FlipBrass5.jpg

7. Zero333

Zero333 Silver $$ Contributor

FlipBrass6.jpg
    FlipBrass7.jpg

Now spray the 1-shot case lube on a 45 degree angle on all the case from all directions.
    Let them sit 2 to 3 minutes and have at it.

You're welcome.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    Bc'z, WillyTP and tmwinds like this.
  8. Uthink Uknow

Uthink Uknow Gold $$ Contributor

I use Carmex lip balm.

9. Tim s

Tim s

Get some Royal Case Lube, you will never use Imperial again.
    Same folks that make Wipe Out. About 1/2 the felt resistance as Imperial.....seriously.
    Best part, it wipes off a case with a microfiber cloth

Eric Wiltgen, gunnermhr and hpshooter like this.
  10. WillyTP

WillyTP FBBW Gold $$ Contributor

Is this lube thing a friendship deal breaker?;)

Idaho-Lefty likes this.
  11. Uncle Ed

Uncle Ed

A rather loose girl at work who belonged to a biker gang said Harley Davidson 30 weight motor oil was the best lubricant.

But I do not think she was talking about lubing cases. :eek:

12. Dusty Stevens

Royal is great until you load at the range. It turns to almost water above 85 or so

13. Dusty Stevens

It may be. I hope you use imperial

14. WillyTP

WillyTP FBBW Gold $$ Contributor

I guess I’m just “the other guy” that just found an easier way......sorry dude

Dusty Stevens likes this.
  15. Mad_Charlie

Mad_Charlie

Harley's don't use 30 wt oil.
    Nice try trashing.

16. Tim s

Tim s

Wow....you can load at the range??? Holy cow.

Yeah, I‘ve used it well past 90.
    Tip......sit in the shade.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  17. Mad_Charlie

Mad_Charlie

Forster Case Lube seems to work well, I haven't stuck any cases with it, that said, Imperial is what I reach for. I have used Royal in the past, it worked well too. The only case lube that I have ever stuck a case with is One Shot.
    And I did read and follow the instructions...

18. Skeet69

Skeet69

PAM is all I've used for years.
    Mike B

19. Eric Wiltgen

Eric Wiltgen

Sharp Shoot R Royal Case Sizing Lube

20. jonbearman

jonbearman I live in new york state,how unfortunate ! Gold $$ Contributor

I finally got smart and bought pure lanolin oil and 00 percent Isopropyl from amazon. I mix it according to the recipe on many sites and it works like the dillion. Never stuck a case due to using this lube and way cheaper than Dillon spray.