best hearing protection products

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by pgg, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Cort

Cort

I am a firm believer in the custom molded ear plug. Mine were made by inserting a cotton block deep into my ear canal and then injecting the plug material into my ear with a syringe. I also add muffs when inside or under cover. I use some Howard Leight NRR 33 muffs indoors and the Peltor 6S electronic muffs outdoors under cover. I have tried using just plugs but find the level of discomfort (psychological, I think, rather than real) to be too high indoors or under cover when the loudenboomers launch.

Cort

2. people

people

The best and easiest to use is a sound suppressor.

3. pgg

pgg

I agree on the suppressors and I have two one for a .223 & one for a .338 but they dont fit on several of my main guns. So I still need to find real good plugs or muffs or both. Thanks to all suggestions. PG

4. K0na_stinky

K0na_stinky

To bad here in Canada we can't have suppressors. It would be really nice to have quiet guns. I'm not sure why we can't have them. Any one know the accual reason?

Its like saying its not legal to run the exhaust on my quad. And I know for sure people get mad when I have the aftermarket pipe on my quad.

5. spclark

spclark Gold $$ Contributor

Same thing here in Illinois. Suppressors are legal under our Federal regulations, but those leave it to the States to decide local policy. Given the political climate prevailing here since the early part of the last century, it's impossible for a private citizen to get needed local approval.

I've seen 'em used just over the border in Wisconsin; would like to take advantage of their benefit despite the nearly year-long wait & Federal licensing fee.

6. jamesflood1

jamesflood1

There is a lot of hearing protection devices are available in the market. Which is better to use and meet the NNR Rating as well?

7. johara1

johara1

what I found with the in the ear devices like the Etymotic GSP 15's that are made for normal hearing and will not work someone that have hearing loss. They do block the sound very good but my hearing is bad and with the little bit gain they have I can't hear the range commands. These are made for normal hearing, Mine being less I need more amplification than the 5X they offer to hear the range commands. They are cooler and you don't get all over the gun like muffs, they would be perfect if they offered a higher amplification or a variable amplification maybe even better..... jim

8. BoydAllen

BoydAllen

I have the 33 db foam plugs referred to by the forum boss and a pair of slim amplified muffs to go on top of them. This setup gives double protection with the bonus of being able to easily hear range commands. I also have custom molded plugs. There is one thing that I want to interject into this discussion, with all of the NRR numbers being thrown around. I believe what my own ears tell me when comparing different products and combinations. So far, this seems to have worked pretty well. These are the muffs that I am currently using. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001T7QJ9O/?tag=accuratescom-20

9. XTR

XTR

I'm a big believer and user of hearing protection in many activities.

Between work and shooting I sometimes feel like I have spent half of my waking life with earplugs in, and a fair number of hours sleeping with them in the bow compartment of a 637 class boat when the diesel was running. When I ride my motorcycles whether or not I am wearing a helmet, I wear plugs that reduce the wind noise, something similar to performing musician's plugs. Makes a huge difference in fatigue at the end of a long day in the saddle.

For shooting and work environments I've never found any single protection that is as effective as the foam plugs. I wear them correctly on the line and with less diligent insertion in the pits. I've tried some electronics, and custom molded and the reduction just isn't the same. The problem with the custom molds was that they extend outside of the canal and cheek pressure caused the seal to break. Same thing with muffs while shooting. I do like my electronic muffs in the pits.

10. yukonal

yukonal Silver $$ Contributor

Custom molded plugs with muffs over them, for me.

11. ClassCat

ClassCat Unlimited Gold $$ Contributor

3M Peltor COMTAC III Hearing Defender - PELMT17H682FB-09-FG, Foliage Green
    Note: This is a made-to-order item and can also be constructed into a Single Comm Headset.

• Style: 3M Peltor ComTac ACH Communication Headset (MT17H682FB-09 FG, Foliage Green)
    • Level-dependent surround sound for ""talk-thru"" function
    • External communications and stereo ""talk-thru"" are independent of each other
    • Ambidextrous noise-canceling boom mic
    • Meets Environmental Standard MIL-STD-810F
    • Meets EMI Standard MIL-STD-461E
    • TAA, and Berry Amendment Compliant
    • Adjustable sizing to fit different users
    • Fielded by U.S. Army PEO Soldier and U.S. SOCOM

12. chkunz

chkunz Gold $$ Contributor

You left off the price, important for this item.

13. ClassCat

$300 You get what you pay for. My previous set lasted me 15 years. They would not rebuild then. The parts were not available. P S The rebuild would have been NO CHARGE.

14. chkunz

The one placed I looked listed them for $395, are they available for $300 someplace?

15. TheOtherZilla

TheOtherZilla

The ear plugs I like best are called "Skull Screws" They are easy to get in and out. I have some noise cancelling muffs but muffs seem to always be in the way

16. ClassCat

17. chkunz

18. ClassCat

I have used a lot of other sets. The difference is night and day. One clear advantage is their size, you can snuggle up to the Gun a lot different because of their design.

19. jamesflood1

jamesflood1

I want to protect my ears. I was suffering a hearing issues since several months. I think this was happen due to not using earplugs while riding motorcycle.

20. Steve Ladino

Steve Ladino Silver $$ Contributor

Had to relinquish my relay pick ( #1 ) because of a brake gun next to me last month ( my decision, but felt slightly screwed, needs regulation!