Best Grip for Accuracy - Pistol or Conventional Stock

Discussion in 'Main Message Board' started by Phil3, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Phil3

Phil3

For shooting off a bench, where the rifle is shouldered, and using a mechanical front rest/rabbit ear bag, OR, bipod/soft rear bag, is there any advantage of a pistol grip (AR or chassis style) vs a conventional stock grip (from McMillan A-5 to hunter style)?

I thought being able to put my thumb over the rear tang area would make me side with a conventional stock, but somehow, on my AR-15, I don't seem to mind not being able to do that. That is until CA forced me into AR-compliance and replaced the grip with one that has a thumb shelf on the shooting side, which I am surprised, is not as bad as I anticipated. I still kinda's miss the old custom grip, but it is now in the unused "assault" parts drawer. Somehow it becomes harmless if I put it on a bolt action chassis rifle, but I digress.

2. K22

K22

I've tried the thumb hole stocks and pistol grips stocks (other shooters rifles) - for me the trigger position is far superior on these versus conventional stocks.

IF I was starting from scratch this is the route I'd go. However, in my humble opinion, as much as you can standardized trigger pull and stock configuration among all your rifles the more consistent marksman you'll become. Therefore I'm sticking to my current, less than optimum set up of conventional stocks and trigger pulls of 2.5 to 3.0 lbs. To do otherwise for me would mean changing 15 rifles.

Mark W likes this.