Best flash hole debur tool?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Dan S, Nov 9, 2018 at 6:43 AM.

1. Dan S

Dan S J III:XVI Silver $$ Contributor

What is the best flash hole debur tool? The clincher is I don’t want to shave the actual flash hole, just the burrs. Small primer lapua brass .059 and don’t want to expand them.

2. SPJ

SPJ Silver $$ Contributor

How big are these burrs?

3. Dan S

Not big. I just want a good one for all my brass across the board. But I also don’t want it to ruin my expensive brass by making the flash hole bigger. The rcbs looks interesting in the way it works, but most of these tools seem to drill out the hole

4. AndyTaber

AndyTaber

I don’t touch the flash holes. Any burs that might have been there are gone after fireforming.

SPJ likes this.
  5. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

6. johara1

johara1

if you use a reamer to uniform the flash holes there is no burr.... most of the time. if you see one just take it off with a K&M manual deburring tool or something similar... do not chamfer it.... jim

7. SPJ

I don't mess around with flash holes.
    Just have a look" if there Small and round I'm good

mikeinct likes this.
  8. damoncali

damoncali Gold $$ Contributor

If you buy good brass you don't need it. I'm not convinced they help bad brass either. But even if they do, you're better off buying good brass. It's cheaper in the long run.

PatMiles and rwj like this.
  9. AlNyhus

AlNyhus

The K&M manual .059 is a good one....will touch up the burrs and give a consistent bevel.

LA50SHOOTER, LRPV and daleboy like this.
  10. SPJ

You may be looking for a problem that isn't there

11. Dan S

Not like lookin for a problem persay. Just from what I have learned from this site you want everything as uniform and concentric as possible from case to case. But if all you say it’s a waste, so be it. I’ll skip that step

SPJ likes this.
  12. Mulligan

Mulligan Gold $$ Contributor

@Dan S
    The K& M tool is the cats pajamas for this process
    CW

mr45man, daleboy and LRPV like this.
  13. Comrade Terry

Comrade Terry Gold $$ Contributor

14. AndyTaber

AndyTaber

A lot of reloading tools sold are in need of a problem.

PatMiles likes this.
  15. fredo

fredo Silver $$ Contributor

The one I use (as a station on RCBS Prep center) indexes depth via case length. So, if I ever do 'deburr', it's a one time thing, done right after trimming a batch of brass to uniform size. Which is done after the first firing. So, at least there's some assurance of consistency, from soup to nuts. And since I'm doing chamfer/deburr necks on Prep Center anyway, it's only another 2 seconds (per case) to use the flash hole tool, too...

Anymore, when loading 'good stuff', I don't even bother. Something about flash holes being drilled in 'good stuff', vs. punched/stamped in the 'cheap stuff'.

With 'cheap stuff', seems like the amount of 'deburred' material varies from each individual case? That tells me, there is some benefit to uniforming/removing a 'burr' from that area. Might not actually matter in real life, but makes me feel better to know that some material, which may have (potentially) been impeding consistent ignition, has been removed...

16. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

After prepping 40 pieces of lapua, I'm almost ready to say messing with the flash hole is a waste of time on their brass.
    Remington, nosler, hornady, federal well now that's a different story. Those holes be rough!

17. daleboy

daleboy Silver $$ Contributor

After doing 1000s of Lapua brass I thinks it's very necessary . Get a good tool and you can feel every burr in there . Lapua is great stuff but the brass on my bench when I tap the case shows me they are not perfect. Just my findings.

'Freak, LRPV and Bc'z like this.
  18. Bc'z

Bc'z Gold $$ Contributor

Oh I got a lil trimmings, but very little.
    The other brass I mentioned above was lumpy, bumpy, rougher n cobb.
    The lapua felt really smooth, I believe the lil bit of shavings were from putting a lil camphor on rim of hole.

19. Dan S

Well. I also realized the other day I was getting much bigger chamfers than I wanted in some cases. Then I realized the cases should be trimmed exactly the same before deburing. Non trimmed cases will have different depths. Brain fart

20. cw308

cw308

I take the time in prepping from uniforming the primer pockets , flash hole uniform to the same size testing with a #45 drill bit for 308 caliber , deburring flash hole inside an a light taper outside . Only has to be once . I also trim every time , after the first time trim , most of the next trimmings are more like a clean up rather then a trim . All are full length sized to .0015 - .002 no more or less . I wet tumble using SS Pins with Sun liquid detergent , brass every time looks brand new .

daleboy and Bc'z like this.