Best distance for load development?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Kasimir58, Nov 20, 2019.

1. seymour fish

seymour fish

Meant to include “simple ladder AT 100”

2. seymour fish

seymour fish

Also, the best load at 1000 would have a tiny bit of Vertical in it when shot for group at 100 for a reference

Medic505 likes this.
  3. NZ_Fclass

NZ_Fclass

Speed/es at 100 yds, groups at 500. Groups at 100 really a waste of bullets.

4. garandman

garandman Bolt Gun Bodacious Gold $$ Contributor

*may* be a waste of bullets. 100 y isn't a guarantee of accuracy at 500+ but it can be a guarantee of inaccuracy at 500 +

5. johara1

johara1

Again it sounds good but no-one can see a 1mph change. I never tried to tweak a load at 1000 due to trying to shoot sub 2" groups. I rely on a 100 yards under controlled conditions and relying on Labradar for velocity and ES, group shape and repeatable groups .... it will hammer at a 1000... jim

6. BartsBullets

BartsBullets Gold $$ Contributor

Sometimes Long range guys say the Darndest things!

Bart

rogina, Sheldon N and Ned Ludd like this.
  7. F Class John

F Class John NRA Life Member Gold $$ Contributor

I totally agree except I will tweak my loads once I have my go-to data from 100. At 1000 I’m looking ONLY for my vertical group variance. I don’t care about my horizontal, only vertical. Here’s a test I did yesterday in fact. Slight tweaks to the load and ALL shot at a single point of aim with no regard for the minimal wind I had. All I’m looking for is which tweak yields the smallest vertical because I’ll deal with the wind during matches. I just want the tightest waterline possible going into any given match. Out of five tweaks the dark blue group was the best at 1000yds with a 1.8” vertical and the worst was yellow at 5.4” (the group looks larger because of scaling and the fact that Shotmarker measure to center of bullet hole). The actual numbers don’t necessarily matter as much as the seeing which one produces the cleanest waterline and that in general it’s at least 1/2” MoA or less. Basically I strive for an X waterline or better.
    upload_2019-11-22_13-41-13.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  8. johara1

johara1

Dealing with wind at 1000 has nothing to do with load development.... 5" of vertical makes you happy at 1000, really? 5" groups at a 1000 isn't going to win much at bench rest. Barrel quality play a huge part of what happens at a 1000, good honest barrel will shoot good but not help you like hummer..... jim

9. johara1

johara1

If you know what to look for it sure does, I quit wasting barrels at mid range shooting half inch groups at 500 prove nothing, 2" and 3" groups at 1000 do at a match. ...jim

10. F Class John

I guess we can agree to disagree since we are shooting different disciplines and that’s ok. First I don’t care about shooting benchrest and railing off 5 or ten rounds in five or ten seconds (this doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate what they do or the crazy small groups they can shoot, I just don’t care about doing it). Second 5” vertical isn’t the same thing as a 5” group for my purposes. I said I wanted better than 5” vertical which I totally agree is a different thing in f-class than a 5” group in benchrest. We shoot for 20 shots for score over a period of time often in changing conditions and not 5 or 10 round groups shot over a few seconds or a minute. Trust me, if you have a solid load that will keep within the x-ring (5”) or less for vertical then you can win any day if you can read wind and mirage. Plus while it will work, I wasn’t happy with 5” which is why I tweaked it until I had less than a 2” vertical. At a 1000yd match, I have 10” of real estate in horizontal to play with and only about 5” of vertical because in f-class 10s win matches and that 10”x5” rectangle is more or less your acceptable landing zone for the bullets. I strive for less than 5” because vertical will kill you with dropped 9s out the corners if your vertical isn’t under control. So yeah, I’ll take 5” of vertical but work towards less and worry about wind and mirage on the day of the match. Me and three buddies of mine all load in the pretty much the same way (load for waterline and not group size) and we have 36 medals collectively from SOA and Nationals this year that say it works even though we’d get killed at a benchrest match shooting the same loads and that’s ok.

Dgd6mm, SPJ and Mike McCasland like this.
  11. Joe Salt

Joe Salt Silver $$ Contributor

F Class John I myself don't like water lines! That tells me the wind is affecting your bullet. What makes you think shot #18 wasn't something you did. I'd play a little more with the red load.

Joe Salt

BartsBullets likes this.
  12. F Class John

I hear ya. I know exactly what happed on the red group. I bumped the stock and I made a note. But when measured even without that mistake the dark blue group was a about 1/4” shorter in vertical. I know it’s 99% there so that barrel is getting spun off today and out aside for BSWN and a couple weeks ahead it’ll come out and get a final tweak.

13. garandman

Can you re-state ? Im not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me. :)

I will say it this way… your load development is not ultimately done until it is producing the desired groups at the precise distance you will be shooting/competing.

If you are Competing at 600 yd, your 100 yd groups may or may not be helpful. Ya really need to shoot at 600 To find out if your load is right.

But ya really cant begin load development at 600. I generally start at 100. That starting point is not a "waste."

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  14. SPJ

SPJ Whoops !! Gold $$ Contributor

How close are those two recipes to each other

15. johara1

johara1

I don't get this rattle them off deal, I'm a picker, and watch the flags, I sure don't see a marked shot after each round, we mostly shoot ten shots.... You can never be satisfied at BR. you have to keep shooting smaller..... jim

garandman and BartsBullets like this.
  16. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

And that right there is the truth regardless of how one goes about it!

Tom

17. johara1

johara1

Yea, bud.... What are you doing for next year..... jim

18. GSS

GSS

19. garandman

Truth. :)

20. tom

tom Gold $$ Contributor

Practicing holding my breath so I don't fog up my scope today! ;) Trying to get as far as I can on a fresh tube before hibernation lol.

Tom

20191123_085014-768x1024.jpg

garandman and dmoran like this.