>>>>>>>BEST .... 7 Mag bullet choice for DRT? <<<<<<

Discussion in 'Big Stuff--7mm, 30 Cal, .338+' started by daniel brothers, Dec 1, 2018.

1. furmaster

furmaster

Berger also makes a 168 classic, I have some but haven’t killed anything with them.
    Remember your idea of drt is also very subject to shot placement. I’ve seen a 220 swift kill an elk before it hit the ground numerous times. Neck shots and high shoulder will make any bullet look awesome.
    One of the best “death switch” guns I’ve ever seen was a 25-06 with an accubond. Pretty much a 3300 FPS grenade.

Idaho-Lefty and daniel brothers like this.
  2. 1shot

1shot

Over the years I have recovered bullets that were lodged under the hide on the opposite side of the animal. There would always be a big bruise on the inside of the hide when skinned and the animal dropped in its tracks.
    That to me is the perfect scenario.

Lloyd

3. OLEJOE

OLEJOE

Find a load that is accurate enough for you to be able to pin point your shots. Confidence in your rifle and your ability to shoot it accurately are 90 percent of successful hunting. I use 150 grn Remington Core-Lokt in my rifle because that is what it likes. Farthest deer I’ve had run was a doe I shot at about 150 yards. Jumped from one side of a logging road to the other. All the rest DRT. But, all the others were neck shot because of the accuracy of the rifle and my confidence in it to hit exactly where I was holding it. YMMV

Bc'z likes this.
  4. GSPV

GSPV A failure to plan is a plan for failure.

Coming in late on this. DRT, or any other ethical harvest, isn’t nearly as much about the bullet is it is about shot placement.

If you need them DRT, learn to execute the high shoulder shot. They can’t go far with both shoulder blades and their spine crushed.

Idaho-Lefty likes this.
  5. daniel brothers

daniel brothers

I do believe that some bullets do better than others for DRT kills in lung/heart areas. Shoulder, neck, head, spine shots are not the issue or question here... it's about what is the most devastating bullet for lung areas?

Idaho-Lefty likes this.
  6. GSPV

GSPV A failure to plan is a plan for failure.

There are two flies in the ointment. First, if you heart/lung a deer, some of them will not be DRT. They will run 50 yards. Second, if you optimize your bullet selection for a heart lung, you will have to give up on shots that have heavy bones. Not necessarily an issue. Just something to be aware of. Personally, I just like to double lung them with fast expanding bullets and I’m OK with not being able to bust bones. Try the Nosler 140 BT. Might be just the ticket in your 7 Mag and won’t break the bank. They also have a 120. If you want to get really explosive, Speer makes a 110 TNT ;).

sbhooper, Idaho-Lefty and Drop Port like this.
  7. K9I449

K9I449

175gr Nosler Partition with LOTS of H870

dwall likes this.
  8. 10ring1

10ring1

154 sst. My last 3 PA bucks dropped on their feet

9. daniel brothers

daniel brothers

I've been using the 162 sst, and they have been good, but one buck did run 15 yds. Is there a difference between the 154 and the 162 ?

10. Billy 30-06

Billy 30-06

Most of the deer and hogs I've killed with a 7mm were with the 150gr partition or ballistic tip. The BT would put them down quicker. At close range both would drop the deer in the tracks. I shoot most hogs in the head or neck.
    Billy

11. WeatherbyFan

WeatherbyFan Gold $$ Contributor

Best performance of any rifle I’ve hunted with was the 7mm Wby Mag and 160gr Nosler Partitions, every deer dropped in there tracks, never had that performance with a .308, 30-06, 300 Wby ?

Only animals Ive had time to get a second shot into were Elk.

Idaho-Lefty and sbhooper like this.
  12. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Gold $$ Contributor

45-70 with a 500gr solid lead going 1400fps through the shoulders will take out the landing gear, and leave only a 0.5" hole with little meat damage.

13. gillettehunter

gillettehunter

Another vote for the 180 gr Berger. I have taken several deer and antelope with it. Getting exit wounds and often drt results. Run it 2900-3000 fps and it will do a great job for you.
    Bruce

daniel brothers likes this.
  14. Idaho-Lefty

Idaho-Lefty

YUP,.. that's the Bullet I would build my next Elk rifle, around ! It would be, a 7mm-.270 WSM or, 7mm-.300 WSM ( with about, the same power, as the 7 Rem Mag. but,.. NO Belt ). I shoot, the 140 AB's at 3,150 FPS in a .270 WSM, a great Bullet ! my Elk jumped 2 times, Dead ! Heart Lung shot, behind the "crease" ALWAYS, as my Family hates to waste, the "Back Straps" and Shoulder Roasts ! Partitions are very good, also.
    Of the Bullets pictured, I'd use the 140 Bal Tip's for "Boiler room" Shots at, the Velocities the 7 RM would drive them,.. they'd pretty much equal, a Berger's devastation and shred the Heart-lung area and THEY, ARE, accurate ! Shot many of them, in my .270 WSM but, now use, the AB as a TOUGHER Bullet for, Elk.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  15. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Gold $$ Contributor

Nathan Foster at Terminal Ballistics Research has taken over 8500 animals during his studies on both the anatomy of killing, and the performance of a range of bullets/cartridges/distances. A week ago I purchased his latest book on the topic, $30 which is less than a box of shells! I found it very educational and informative as an excellent resource, vs soliciting opinions of unknown experience (including myself). You can order online and download immediately. I'll be rereading several chapters again, well worth the m money.

16. sbhooper

sbhooper

That 120 is one that I will never load. My bil shot a white tail buck a few years ago with that bullet. It was a clean lung shot right at 300 yards. It made a blood-shot mess and the bullet exploded. The deer still ran 50 yards or so. I never saw one blood-shot any worse than what that bullet did. I think that it was launched at about 3200, if I remember right.

17. Hydenseek

Hydenseek Silver $$ Contributor

:cool:120 vmax = DRT:cool: