Berger VLDs

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by Ironworker, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Ironworker

Ironworker Silver $$ Contributor

All my loads of Re#23 Jamming the Berger 140gr VLDs into rifling lands of my 7mm WSM worked very well today. At cost of their bullets I was concerned I'd have go thru the whole box before I found a load. 9"twist Brux bbl ,if 140s VLD jammed shot well,will the 180gr VLD also shoot well ?

2. sawcarver

sawcarver Gold $$ Contributor

For me I've always found VLDs to enjoy a healthy jump. I'd recommend doing bergers seating depth test and I think you'll find a sweet spot .050-.090 off the lands

3. damoncali

damoncali Bullet Maker Site $$ Sponsor

The pickiness is VLDs is overblown in my experience. But there isn’t any reason to believe the 180s would or wouldn’t shoot based on the 140s. You have to try them.

4. Kurz

Kurz

We have found that the Berger VLDs usually work best with a jump. Then there are those occasions when they work best seated right at the lands. Go figure.

We have also found that the VLDs are not as difficult (picky) to tune as other well known bullets. Please understand that this is with our procedures and practices so it's not an all encompassing statement.

We have found that the 7mm, 180 gr. VLDs tune just as easy as the 140s. In fact, we probably load more 180s than we do any other weight class except for the 195s in the really big cartridges.:rolleyes::D

miningshawn likes this.