Berger Hybrids.. Jump or Jam?

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by TX65, Nov 16, 2011.

1. TX65

TX65

Lots of new Berger Hybrid bullets out and wanted to get a consensus of opinion on where people are seeing the accuracy when it comes to seating depth to the lands.

Whether you are shooting a 6 Dasher, 7mm SAUM, 308 Win or 300 WSM, please tell

Are you Jumping, Jamming or just touching the lands?

If Jumping or Jamming,, what distance are you finding the accuracy?

Of course, tell what cartridge and barrel.

Appreciate you response

Only hybrid I have tested has been the 30 cal 230 in a 30-338 Win Mag and have been shooting at .001" off the lands, but am going to play with seating it back or forward.

2. NateG

NateG

155 Hybrids in a .308 Palma gun. (2011 Fullbore chamber, if you care)

I've only tried them jumping .030" on the recommendation of Jerry Tierney, and have seen no need to try anything else. Tried three charge weights, and the middle one was at .110", and 3005fps with a sd under 4. Yeah, that load will do just fine (and has!) for shooting with irons. ;D

3. Steve Blair

Steve Blair Site $$ Contributor

I shoot 230's in a .308, 180's in a .284 Shehane and 105's in a 6BR. They are all jumped, .015, .015 and .010, respectively. Performance is excellent.

4. wboggs

wboggs Site $$ Contributor

Read your post with interest. Have some 6mm 105s to load in a XC and will start with a .02-.01 jump.
    Thanks for the info.
    Bill

5. artbosco

artbosco

With all due respect, the only opinion you need ... is that of your barrel. All the others are meaningless. Each barrel's harmonics are different, regardless of the bullet/cartridge marriage. For the best accuracy, first tune with the bullet/brass/powder/primer combination, then fine tune with neck tension and seating depth. Seating to a consensus does not produce accuracy.

6. TX65

TX65

Very true that each barrel has its own opinion, but it does give a bit of insight to what other people are having success with across a range of calibers and cartridges.

If the new Hybrid ogive designs do have a pattern of performing within a certain reference position to the lands (.030" to .015" from the lands for example) it does provide information that is valuable and can guide others reducing development time.

No different than people seeing a pattern of other bullets like VLD's generating their best accuracy .005" to .015" into the lands and incorporating that knowledge base into their development testing different powders and primers.

7. TonyR

TonyR

So far, the 180 7mm Hybrid is the only one I've tried. It likes to be jumped about 0.010 inches but seems to shoot about the same out to 0.020 inches. Beyond that, the group starts to open up vertically.

8. 4xforfun

4xforfun Site $$ Contributor

Good post......I am going to be diving into the hybird zone with 6mm, 7mm, 30 cal and 338's in the very near future....keep it coming!!!!

The point about all barrels being different is very true, but there will be a trend, like 90% of the VLD shooters jam their bullets to one degree or another. What will the trend be for the new generation of Berger's ??!!

"I just gots to know" (aka Dirty Harry)

9. TX65

TX65

so far it looks like .010" to .020" jump is common for good accuracy with one going as far as .030" jump.

Very helpful information and while we have only a handful of posts so far, the pattern is consistent that Hybrid's prefer jump to being jammed.

10. kitsap

kitsap

Arnie,

I agree with you about the information being helpful. The more data points the better. Thanks for asking the question.

DougF

11. Keith Glasscock

Keith Glasscock Team Benchmark Site $$ Contributor

308 Win, 200 grain hybrid (did testing for Berger) ran best at a .010 jump. At .020 it was pretty close to the same, and I didn't have room to shove it in the case any deeper than that without pushing the bearing surface past the donut area.

In reality, I think that the bullet would also run well jammed, but being an F-class shooter, I like being able to eject a loaded round without spilling powder. For that reason, I didn't try it with the hybrid - it shot too darn well without having to do that.

12. DazzH

DazzH

I'm part way through a 300 Rem saum build and would like to have the reamer made to suit the new hybrid's, The two I am looking at are the 155 & 168gr. I'm having no luck finding info on dimensions for these. Is anyone able to help me with the OAL, base to ogive and shank length on these bullets.

13. dreever

dreever Site $$ Contributor

105 Hybrid in a 6BR .010 jump works for me.

Danny

14. larryk40c

larryk40c Site $$ Contributor

In my dasher the 105 hybrids just touching the lands shoots great for me, have not tryed jumping yet due to the accuracy I'm getting. 28" 8 twist shilen.
    Larry

15. Shynloco

Shynloco You can lead a horse to water, but ........ Site $$ Contributor

TX65,
    IMO, pay close attention to what Outdoorsman wrote. I have had excellent results in my .308 from Sierra 168 gr HPBT's for years dating back to the early 80's. I recently tried (for 4 weeks straight at the range) some 155's using various depth settlings (.010 changes) all the way from SAAMI specs down to touching the lands using three different proven powders (RE15, Varget & 4895) The results were the worst that rifle has ever shot. Apparently my barrel simply doesn't like those bullets because as soon as I went back to 168's, she was a target shooter again. BTW, my barrel twist is 1:10. Like was said consensus means nothing from rifle to rifle. Your barrel will tell you all you need to know. I hope you have better luck than I did should you choose to go with 155's.

16. Romulus

Romulus

I'm jumping the .308 168 hybrids from magazine length in my .308 Win hunting rifle and they shot so well I didn't have to mess with it. I'm getting an itch thinking I could get them to shoot better than 0.5" @ 200 though ;D

When I put the 230 grain pills in my win mag I will update how they like it closer to the lands in my 5R .300 WM which has been a phenomenal factory rifle.