Berger Bullets

Discussion in 'Reloading Forum (All Calibers)' started by YEW PLUCKER, Jan 23, 2020.

1. YEW PLUCKER

YEW PLUCKER

So which fly better? Berger's Long Range BT Target, or their Hybrid Target bullets?

Anyone every compare them side by side?

2. 46and2

46and2

I tried like hell to get 105 Hybrids to fly in a 6BR.
    My current barrel only consumes 105 Target Boat tail.

YEW PLUCKER likes this.
  3. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd Gold $$ Contributor

The Hybrids typically have a slightly higher BC than a LRBT (tangent ogive) bullet of identical weight. In my hands, the Hybrids are not really any more difficult to tune in than a tangent ogive bullet, they simply tune in at a different seating depth region. You still have to do a proper load workup and the associated testing with either type of bullet.

With the caveat of being able to load to equal precision with the two different bullets, I'll take the one with higher BC every time. So as you can imagine, I shoot a lot of Hybrids, because they usually have slightly higher BCs than their tangent ogive counterparts of equal weight. The BC difference depends on the specific caliber and bullet weight, but is usually on the order of around 2% to 8% percent. That's not a huge difference in BC, but is one that you can directly confirm using drop at some distance in side-by-side testing with two bullets of the same weight but different BC, or using LabRadar velocity data. Alternatively, you can assess whether there is a difference over time in your match scores.

In other words, proving beyond a doubt for two bullets of the same weight but slightly different BC that one is clearly "better" than the other is not such an easy task. More often than not, competitors will simply assume the advertised BC value is correct (or pretty close), then decide for themselves whether that bullet can be loaded with acceptable precision. If so, they'll probably continue using it. I've been very happy with the Berger Hybrid bullets designs I've used over the years, but they also have some very good tangent ogive and VLD designs. Regardless of what you choose, being able to load with good precision is the overriding factor, and comparing BCs is usually farther down the list.

4. YEW PLUCKER

YEW PLUCKER

Ned, Thank you for the response. That is what I was looking for. The last Bergers I loaded were about twenty years ago. Those were 190 and 210 grain .30 calibers, which I shot in my WinMag Sendero. They were excellent shooters, but the farthest I shot them was at 300 yards. Now that I live where I have more space, I'll be able to stretch legs on my next project, which will be a .300 PRC.

Thanks again.

5. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd Gold $$ Contributor

You should have a number of good choices from Berger to try with that cartridge, depending on your desired use and how much recoil you're willing to deal with. The 185 Hybrid, 200.20X, 215 Hybrid, and 230 Hybrid might all be solid choices, and all have the hybrid ogive. I reload all of those bullets except the 230 Hybrid in .308 Win and been very happy with how they tune and shoot. My guess is that you'd get better long range performance from the .300 PRC's available horsepower using [at least] a 200 to 230 gr high BC bullet. If you wish to also look at bullet manufacturers other than Berger, the sky is almost the limit for good .30 cal bullet offerings. Good luck with it.

6. ahusted1978

ahusted1978 F/TR in Pa Silver $$ Contributor

I also saw a release from berger last week that included a new 208gr .30cal bullet. Exceptional bc, and comes tipped from the factory.

7. Don

Don Gold $$ Contributor

I find in a 155 gr. 30cal. Palma Bullet ( right chamber and Twist 30-32" ).
    Berger 155 HB are the Winner …..

Then again Berger 105 HB in my Dasher made me Very Happy !!!
    Then I got 103 Vapor Trail's ? Now waiting on a Match .

At this point it's that works in your Rifle Set up ?

Best of Luck

8. dkhunt14

dkhunt14

Might have been the twist. Seems the Hybrid wants faster then 8. Matt

9. BenPerfected

BenPerfected Gold $$ Contributor

With all my 6mm 105 gn bullets I use 7tw barrels. Over the last 6 mo been shooting exclusively the Bart’s 105.
    Ben

Nick Caprinolo likes this.
  10. JEFFPPC

JEFFPPC Silver $$ Contributor

That will depend somewhat on your barrel. For me neither, I am not a Berger fan. Sounds like you limiting yourself to those two choices. You might want to explore a bit more.